SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Would this be the stupidest thing possible?

Search this Thread

Old 08-30-02, 04:39 AM
Lexson
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Would this be the stupidest thing possible?

I live in Michigan....and we get a lot of snow in the winter and roads are icey obviously.
Are the stock sc430 rims and tires NOT something I want to be running in the winter?
I havent heard of too many good 18 inch snow tires....so maybe I should be looking to find a smaller set of tires and rims for winter?
Old 08-30-02, 07:46 AM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

No ... if at all possible, you should be looking for a winter beater.
Old 08-30-02, 11:00 AM
tfischer

Received 218 Likes on 162 Posts
Default Way Up North

I would suggest checking the classifieds this Sunday for used, inexpensive Jeep Wranglers, or some other 4 wheel, or even front wheel drive car.

Besides, when you go to Home Depot for 2x4s, how are you going to get them home? In the SC430? I hope not.
Old 08-30-02, 12:17 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default going nowhere fast...

Chicagoland SC430 here.. Picture Roller Skates on Ice and that is how the tires act on the SC430 with those run-flats. How do I know... well, I had to back out of my garage to get something and had to have help pushing it back in because I just spun the back tires going nowhere fast!

Last winter I invested $500 in a 'beater' -- less than the cost of snow tires mind you! ...Lexus was offering a snow package for $3200 but I decided a winter car was a better option for me. I got tired of the crappy beater and invested a bit more money in my current G20 which I'll use again for winter...

You can get a set of winter tires as small as 16" if you like for winter use... I've been told a dealer in Canada was doing a 16" setup for winter SC430 owners.

...hope this helps!
Old 08-30-02, 12:48 PM
Manuel Labor
Driver School Candidate

Default wow

wow
Old 08-30-02, 01:06 PM
tfischer

Default Snowshoes on you Car

Wide tires act like snowshoes and keep the car from sinking down and getting a grip.

Front engine/rear dirve make it worse, as there is little weight over the rear tires.

I'm in southern Ohio, and we (usually) don't get as much snow as the boys in Chicago, but I have had a Jeep Wrangler and now a (used) '96 RAV4 (front drive, not 4 wheel drive) so that I can get out in the snow and ice. The fact that I live at the bottom of a hill on a dead end street means I do this or I don't get out when there is snow on the ground.

It's just another cost of owning this kind of a car (my friends with BMWs, for example, are in the same boat).

Or you could move to Florida and save these extra costs.
Old 08-30-02, 01:25 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default naw..

it is WAY to humid for my tastes in Florida..

..and I prefer to live somewhere that still recognizes English as the spoken language.. Heck, every time I fly into Miami, everything is in Spanish first and then english.. huh?

...then I don't like the other 'retirement' communities because of having to try to get around the 'geriatric crowd'
Old 08-30-02, 01:48 PM
tfischer

Default In that case

Maybe you should look at Santa Barbara.

Very nice.
Old 08-30-02, 02:21 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default except...

now you have to worry about Earthquakes..

..higher cost of living

...and what is the smog like there? Isn't that close to LA smog? I get a migraine every time I set foot in LA and it doesn't go away until I leave... I just can't handle that pollution!
Old 08-30-02, 10:23 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

How about moving to Mars CEboyd. Maybe it has something you'd like......
Old 09-01-02, 11:37 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default nice photo!

perhaps I will have to check it out! I do like Carmel-by-the-sea, Pacific Grove, and 17 mile drive myself but cannot afford it at the moment much less maintain my current career there... Is there technology industry in Santa Barbara? That photo does look great/inviting! warm, dry, less pollution, lower crime does sound very interesting indeed!
Old 09-03-02, 12:42 AM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default whatever

last time I checked, the original US constitution is in english and NOT spanish OR native american...

give it a rest! Heck, even Quebec wants to be independant from the rest of Canada.. .maybe Florida should plea to be seperate with Spanish as the no. 1 language instead too!
Old 09-04-02, 03:09 PM
wwest
Lead Lap

Default wintertime

My 01 911/996 is AWD and it stays in its nice warm garage all winter unless I'm fairly sure fair weatehr will prevail throughout the day. I don't even trust my AWD RX300 if I know for sure that ice and snow will be the order of the day. I have an AWD Aerostar for those days.

The AWD RX300 isn't.

AWD that is.
Old 09-04-02, 04:35 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

You have a point CeBoyd. I think we should pass a law that says
"If you weren't born here.............go home."

Everyone should be entitled to his or hers own language, religious beleifs, etc............but if you wanna live in my country, do things our way...........

As far as Native Americans go, well, they should be the only ones entitled to do as they please. After all, the rest of us are just guests in their country........
Old 09-04-02, 05:34 PM
1NICESC430
Instructor

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

FWIW ...

Although it's no consolation to them, American Indians are not alone in being shoved around. A few thousand years of European (these are the guys who did the shoving here) history chronicle one tribe after the other shoving around one other tribe or another. It's simply the way things were and it should surprise no one that Europeans would do the same when they came here.

The difference though, is that the American Indian, for whatever reason, has not been absorbed as fully into the prevailing American culture as European tribes were absorbed by their conquerors.

Maybe it just takes more than 500 years.

BTW ... I'm an Italian-American and I want the Visigoths to cough up some moolah for conquering my people. Where the hell ARE those Visigoths, anyway?

Quick Reply: Would this be the stupidest thing possible?