SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

What would you pay for this SC430?

Search this Thread

Old 04-14-11, 09:16 AM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default What would you pay for this SC430?

Hello,
I am new to the Lexus world and thought I would register on the forum.
I will be relocating to Hawaii for some time and I need a better vehicle
than my 1997 Civic.

2005 Lexus SC430, pebble beach edition, convertible, red seats, black exterior, with about 30k miles. One of my relatives is selling.

Thanks!
Old 04-14-11, 09:39 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

How much is he asking and how much are you willing to pay
Old 04-14-11, 09:54 AM
Re3iRtH
Driver

Honestly, he is asking about 25k because we are family, and I am
sure that is somewhat negotiable.

I asked a couple of my cose (male) friends and they are saying a similar
thing about how it is a 'chick car'. I am not sure how I feel about it but
I have yet to drive the vehicle.

I have honestly been looking at the Jeep Wrangler Unlimited used or new.
Or the IS350 convertible with low miles, but this is another option. I don't
think gas cost is that different between the cars although the wrangler
might be slightly cheaper due to using regular gas, or the 350 if you
baby it on the highway.

My biggest thing is I want some form of a convertible and an upgrade over
my 15 year old civic (not that hard to do )
Old 04-14-11, 10:25 AM
tentoys
Rookie

I doubt the wrangler is going to be even close for mileage. the SC will get around 19-21 town and 25 to 28 highway. The IS will probably do better than that. Not sure if the IS uses regular but probably does. I use mid grade in the SC and have had no problem with it.
Old 04-14-11, 10:54 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Since you're in NJ, I recommend getting a hardtop convertible because of the winter months. So as far as hardtops go, you don't have too many options... I obviously liked the SC the best...no bias lol If your worried about it being a chick car, get rims, an exhaust, or lower it; although I don't really think of it as a chick car to begin with. It's a great looking luxury hardtop convertible, I have yet to see any others that I like better.

The wrangler is a totally different ball game. Get what you like, don't worry about what others say.

*EDIT: Oops, I didn't realize you were moving to Hawaii haha In that case soft top or hard top would be perfect..im jealous

Last edited by redliner8; 04-14-11 at 04:19 PM.
Old 04-14-11, 11:18 AM
IcEnPinKi
Lexus Test Driver

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Hawaii is perfect for this! Do it!
Old 04-14-11, 11:40 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

I say 23k is reasonable for "family" discount considering the year and mileage. I say his car is worth 25-28k tops these days. all lexus vehicles take premium... Even though it says you can use regular for the IS i wouldnt recommend it. In no way does my car look girly after you modify it
Old 04-14-11, 02:32 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

$25 is a steal for that car...if and only if it has good maint history (look for 30k or 36 month service...should have been at least once, tires replaced, battery, brakes are all biggies). Make sure the Mark Levinson speakers are not blown. I PM'd you this too, but adding 20" staggered wheels, lowering it, exhaust/intake to change the sound and aesthetics will also make it more "manly" if you are concerned about the chick car thing.

Also, if it has had no accidents, no paint work, all maint records, today this car could easily fetch $30k retail at a dealer. I've seen 2003's with much higher miles going for $25k at dealers.

The SC's "value" is truly and solely dependent on what the market will bear and what the buyer will pay. Now that it's out of production and the less expensive, higher mileage and older SC's are getting snatched up by an entirely new target market for this car, newer SC's with super low miles can go for a premium. It's hard to compare even between SC's...as we have done many times on this forum as some people would pay more or less for miles, color, history, year, etc.

Generally speaking, a 2005 regular SC430 with 30k miles for $25k is a great price, especially if maint/history/no accidents are all good. Add the Pebble Beach factor in and it could be worth more-especially if you are a sucker (like me) for the red interior and unique features a Pebble Beach can offer. If you really don't LOVE red interior and you don't care about the extra badges, floor mats, unique paint, cargo pull, engine cover, head lights, illuminated kick plates, special wood or any of the subtle features the pebble beach gives you...save your money and find a 2002 for less.

Alternate Choices? Unbiased counterpoint....
I may get tarred and feathered for saying this, but for a 25 year old male, looking for a fun convertible in Hawaii for $25k I think I would look at a 2003 Maserati Cambriocorsa Spyder, 2003-2005 M3 Convertible, 2008-2010 S2000, 2005 Boxster S or a 2003 SL55 if back seats are not an issue for you. If you need a backseat, the SC is the BEST choice IMO. These above cars would not only make a statement but faster, more fun and perhaps less of a "chick car", although studies show most convertibles are "chick cars". Do a search for "chick car" on this forum...we've had plenty of debates! LOL

Also to consider-hard top is not as necessary in Hawaii as other places due to the climate and other cars may not take premium. When I was 25 (ten years ago) my driving needs were: fast, fun and loud. So I had S2000's, 300Z's, Supras and Rx7's for my fun cars. I probably would have been bored out of my mind with a SC at that time, but my needs were diferent.

You couldn't compare the IS350C and the Wrangler to the SC--apples and pineapples. Plus the IS350C is MUCH more than $25k. For reference: I paid $30k for my 2005 Pebble Beach with 36k miles from a Lexus Dealer with a 3 year, 100k CPO Warranty on it 1.5 years ago and it was marked down from $37k at that time and been on the lot for 60 days. I've seen these particular cars sell recently from as low as $21k with 80k miles to as high as $35k with 15k. The prices can vary so much based on Lexus dealer vs individual vs wholesaler and the condition/miles/history.

Want variety? Get a $18k 2002 SC430 and a $10k 1990's wrangler and have BOTH!
Old 04-14-11, 03:55 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Get it and take it along. When you get there and you don't like it sell it and make a profit, if you can. Then buy something else. No harm no foul. Go for it. I think you'll like it.
Old 04-14-11, 05:55 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

2005 PB & only 30K??? I'll take it off his hand for $25k & make a good 3K profit easily!!
Old 04-14-11, 05:58 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
When I was 25 (ten years ago) my driving needs were: fast, fun and loud. So I had S2000's, 300Z's, Supras and Rx7's for my fun cars. I probably would have been bored out of my mind with a SC at that time, but my needs were diferent.
Wooooo there.... opposite for me. My driving needs were: comfy ride, cool factor, quietness so I had 01 Acural CL, 07 Lexus ES350, and now my 09 SC430... The ES350 was a bit out of place but I love the boat ride comfort on that thing. I'll admit I'm boring and lame for my age.

Just get the SC430, you'll be like this every time you drive with the top down: or
Old 04-14-11, 06:30 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Good points on flipping the car if he doesn't like....it easily should go for $28-$30 all day long
Old 04-14-11, 07:42 PM
tuterz
Racer

Received 9 Likes on 5 Posts

thats cheap!
Old 04-14-11, 09:09 PM
Rancher
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I paid $19k for a 2002 with 38,000 miles on craigslist.

I think that you are getting a sweet deal, super sweet if you can get it for less!

I say go for it and get a grom ipod/bluetooth integration kit and you will be good to go!

http://www.gromaudio.com/ipod.html

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...xus-sc430.html
Old 04-14-11, 09:42 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

ok i figure i can chime in because i own an IS and an SC although my IS is a 250 and not the C. The whole guy car girl car thing really kinda depends on where you live. If you live somewhere cold i can see why some people would call it a chick car because its not practical and guys are usually practical. the car looks more aggressive and "manly" with tints, lowering, wheels IMO. However this is going to be the same situation with the IS. Now the IS 250 and 350 have simliar real life MPG...i get around 18 city and i really only drive in the city. due to the compression ratio of the IS you can get away with regular gas although you can tell the difference, not knocking but a decrease in performance that is noticable and thus dealer (and most owners) recommend at least mid-grade. The SC is faster than IS, IS handles better and its better for city driving compared to the SC which is awesome for crusing on highways and bridges. now since your talking ISC then they both have around the same storage so lets not worry about that. When it comes down to it the price of 25k is fair, now what do you really want an off road car like a jeep or a 2 door convertible? Pick what you really want and you wont regret your choice. A buddy of mine is moving to montana and just bought an FJ Cruiser and he thinks its the best car ever...to each their own!

Last edited by robertrios; 04-15-11 at 10:38 AM.

Quick Reply: What would you pay for this SC430?