Search this Thread

Old 04-27-19, 05:48 AM
Panotaker
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bgw70
We have similar tastes in cars!!!
Welcome to CL!
That is a nice collection you have there. I saw your TA earlier, that is why I posted mine. Mine is a 94, I bought it in 95, so I've had it a while. Still looks brand new. Like the SC430s, it's probably a future collectable.
The following users liked this post:
Bgw70 (04-28-19)
Old 04-29-19, 03:27 PM
ivanj
Driver

Received 14 Likes on 13 Posts
Default Naughty SC 430

I acquired this 2002 SC 430 in a sort of a horse trade. It came out of an old barn.

Haven't gotten to the cosmetics yet...

Condition
Plus side:
Services/repairs, at Lexus dealers, the timing belt service, a spark plug service(s), 5k mile services at the Lexus dealers for (most) its lifetime, oil pan gaskets, a new mechanical top, both upstream 02 sensors replaced, the tranny fluid looks new as does the coolant, new radiator, new pumps, pulleys and tensioners, new serpentine belt, and various and sundries. It has a well-functioning Mark Levinson system (the man is an acquaintance of mine), decent Kuhmo fronts and Yoko rears, wheels, one Takata airbag replaced, black leather interior has responded well to proper Apple Care; car seems to like me
Minus side:
The paintwork needs chippy attention. The wheel nuts want replacing. The front passenger side seems to "bottom out" over even moderate pitch/potholes - the tech reassures me but I don't think it is right. Wife doesn't like the wheels. Power steering fluid wants replacing, at least. Make various groans and moans that seem to be diminishing as I drive it. Another Takata airbag wants replacing, over 100kMiles, it sat for about a year.

My efforts so far
I've put three tankfuls of Shell 93 + Techron in each fill, a new air filter, cabin filter, 0-30 Mobil One and filter, Apple Care Leather Cleaner and Conditioner several times on the seats, cleaned and tightened a leak from the power steering system well before it destroyed the alternator, ordered a paper Service Manual of several volumes, and sort of made a pest of myself on the Forum.

Why I may keep it:
  • I can garage it
  • I have a G500 for all the other things I like to do
  • It has tinted windows that are practical/attractive - I can see out of them too
  • It looks great as a coupe; not so much as a convertible IMHO
  • After having MB for several decades it reminds me how cheap it was to maintain my Legends and NSXes
  • It's a Lexus
  • It's a Toyota
  • I don't have to endure MBUSA
  • It's has the Japanese quality and honor in it.
  • It's a rescue dog-car (no canines allowed)
  • It's fun to drive
  • Some inexpensive tweaking will make it a more fun to drive car
What I may do to it - please help me with order of importance - goal is to improve handling and preserve comfort
  • Install new instrument Cluster from Tanin on order!
  • New aerial, automatic key, and something else waiting to be installed
  • Stoptech Slotted brakes, hoses and pads on the front - at least - with the Black hats
  • Have the front end gone over - probably replace the up/lo control arms and ball joints
  • Figure out what the mystery shocks are (Spatts? - not Sachs - anyone know about them?) and possibly replace them, but with what?
  • Replace the power steering reservoir, fluid and hoses
  • Reduce unsprung weight
  • Obtain proper front and rear sway bar upgrade for the street only (No no coil overs too much $$$ and sway bars come first.)
  • After chips are repaired what should I do for the paint? Products?
  • Pass inspection
  • House it in the garage
  • Let my wife drive it, if she wants to.

Thanks for your continuing help.

Last edited by ivanj; 04-29-19 at 03:39 PM.
Old 04-29-19, 07:51 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Regarding your SPATS question. See positions 2, 6 & 7 in the diagram below, and of course the corresponding mirror SPAT on the opposite of the car.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-01-19 at 12:31 PM.
Old 05-03-19, 10:21 AM
sakins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default New Member (SC430)

Hello,
My name is Skyler (in the above photo on the right) and I'm from Atlanta, GA. I'm 32 and a native Georgian.

Professionally, I'm a Certified Construction Auditor and also perform several "specialized" audits, primarily in the Government Industry. I enjoy Tennis, Piano, Ballet/Opera, Auto Shows, Driving in my beautiful SC430, and spending time with friends and family.

My SC Stats are as follows:
1. Indigo Blue.
2. Saddle interior color with walnut-grained panelling.
3. Mark Levinson Premium Sound System (considering upgrading to be more easily compliant with the Georgia Hands Free Driving Act).
4. Standard/Factory options. I'm only the 2nd owner. It has always been garage kept and serviced at Hennessy Lexus Atlanta.
5. No modifications and I like it that way right now. It's never even had a minor accident. I purchased it at a mere 125,000 miles and it had the timing belt changed along with a full 120k service "tune up". I intend to keep it serviced only at Hennessy and to have all the work done (including routine oil changes) done there as well, in practice with the previous owner. This will hopefully give me a few hundred thousand miles out of "Lexie" (as I call her).
6. I own an ES300 as my commuter car, my SC430 has been just my "fun" or "weekend" car.
7. Atlanta, GA-US.
8. Enjoy the pics! Cool Story: I waited and search a while (years) to find this color/interior combination! It definitely paid off.
I've only had the car since January and it is an absolute pleasure to drive. I don't mind Atlanta traffic as much in this car!

Last edited by sakins; 05-03-19 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-03-19, 04:25 PM
VVTiBob

Wow! Don’t know if you “enhanced” (used a filter) the photos of the car, but the paint absolutely sparkles in the sunlight. Looks brand new! Not bad for a car coming up on 20 year models old. Congratulations on the find. The interior looks great too.

You are correct about the ML audio system it is truly dated and sorely lacking today’s tech. When is the last time you actually saw a cassette tape? Let alone used one. Fortunately many of us have updated our head units, leaving the amp intact, while others have replaced everything. So we have a wide array of substantial experience.
sakins (05-08-19)
Old 05-04-19, 07:09 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum Skyler and congratulations on your acquisition. It looks like you got a good one! (I have a similar 2002. That is one of my favorite color combinations, though the other colors are quite nice also.)
sakins (05-08-19)
Old 05-05-19, 07:24 AM
maarp
Pole Position

Received 61 Likes on 45 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
You are correct about the ML audio system it is truly dated and sorely lacking today’s tech. When is the last time you actually saw a cassette tape? Let alone used one. Fortunately many of us have updated our head units, leaving the amp intact, while others have replaced everything. So we have a wide array of substantial experience.
Monday, actually. I'm quite enjoying going through my old collection of music that I haven't listened to in years.
Oldsig (05-05-19)
Old 05-06-19, 07:00 AM
sakins
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Wow! Don’t know if you “enhanced” (used a filter) the photos of the car, but the paint absolutely sparkles in the sunlight. Looks brand new! Not bad for a car coming up on 20 year models old. Congratulations on the find. The interior looks great too.

No filter, I had just hand waxed it with some good old elbow grease and it brought the paint even more alive. I don't have a garage, as I live in a condominium community just outside of Atlanta, so I am shopping for a month-to-month storage space for the car. Meanwhile, I wax it 1x a month by hand and treat the leather saddle and black rubber with ArmorAll so that it always looks fresh and new. It has no cracks whatsoever and you're 100% correct my friend, I get asked frequently if it's a new car and I just smile and say it's very new to me.

Last edited by sakins; 05-08-19 at 01:54 PM.
Old 05-06-19, 08:04 AM
VVTiBob

I’d be proud to say, no, it’s nearly 20 years old.... BTW do a search on “Clay bar” for taking car of the car’s finish. It may even make it look better, and, depending on contaminants in the clear coat, improve the cars’s slipperiness.
Old 05-06-19, 01:57 PM
mewtoo
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Greetings SC lovers. I have been a long time lurker but first time poster. This is my 2005 Midnight Pine Pearl on Saddle purchased last summer. Picture taken last weekend in Laguna Beach, CA on my PCH drive.
sakins (05-08-19)
Old 05-06-19, 03:46 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Originally Posted by mewtoo

Greetings SC lovers. I have been a long time lurker but first time poster. This is my 2005 Midnight Pine Pearl on Saddle purchased last summer. Picture taken last weekend in Laguna Beach, CA on my PCH drive.
Welcome to the club.. Congratulation .
Old 05-06-19, 03:59 PM
mewtoo
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Welcome to the club.. Congratulation .
Thank you GmanSC. Perhaps someday by chance I’ll bump into you somewhere here in HB.
Old 05-06-19, 04:10 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Thank you GmanSC. Perhaps someday by chance I’ll bump into you somewhere here in HB.
We had a meet last year. It was fun. May be we will have one this year too. Where are you in OC? HB?
Old 05-06-19, 04:23 PM
mewtoo
Driver School Candidate

Yes I am a long time resident of Huntington Beach, CA.
Old 05-06-19, 09:33 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Yes I am a long time resident of Huntington Beach, CA.
Oh, hello neighbor . I’m across from Westminster Mall. Yeah, would it be great if we run into each other? Mine is 07 Obsidian Black on Black. Love the SC, would not trade for anything. People could not believe it’s 12 years old car.

People can not believe this car is 12 years old

Last edited by GmanSC; 05-06-19 at 09:44 PM.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread