Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 11-03-20, 10:07 AM
McHarrison
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Smile The new guy

Hello all.
We bought my wife a RX350 several years ago. I really like it so recently I purchased my own Lexus, a SC430
Old 11-03-20, 10:43 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Welcome to the forum and congratulations on your acquisition.
Old 11-03-20, 11:27 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

welcome to the club.
Btw, you could have parked your car on the street to take picture instead of using MSpaint to alter it..
Old 11-05-20, 10:27 AM
SC300Es
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 45 Posts

Welcome to the club.

It looks like you cut and pasted the cars on a blue sheet a paper and scanned it...lol
Old 11-09-20, 07:12 PM
JDMSC430
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink New to Lexus

John M., I just joined here to find out more about the model, having just purchased a 2004 Lexus SC 430 for my High School daughter (and me).
  1. Exterior color: Pearl White
  2. Interior color: Black
  3. Audio Mark Levinson - but the speakers are in need of updating so I will need to look into that.
  4. Other major options or packages: None that I can discern.
  5. Any modifications: None yet, but interested in learning what makes sense.
  6. I have always enjoyed cars From my first 1970 T-Bird, a '67 Lancia Fulvia, '72 Alfa Romeo GT Junior, '75 Porsche 911S, '76 Jeep Grand Cherokee Laredo, 2004 Audi A4 Cabriolet, 2007 Volvo S60, 2011 Cadillac SRX, 2013 Ford Explorer, among others. This is my first Lexus purchase. It runs great although I need to immediately replace an O2 sensor, and have had to have an A/C compressor installed ($650). It has great paint, but small chips on both the front and back bumpers. It does have high mileage, 180K, but I got a fairly reasonable price. Interior looks really clean.
  7. I don't yet have pics of my car but will update when I do.

Last edited by JDMSC430; 11-09-20 at 07:47 PM.
Old 11-09-20, 08:45 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 11-10-20, 06:37 AM
hybridview
Driver School Candidate

Received 13 Likes on 4 Posts

It's so great to see such an active community for this car! I've always wanted an SC400 since I was in high school (class of 1997). Then I was all about the SC430 when it came out. Due to COVID and being able to work from home for the foreseeable future, it was perfect timing to get a project car to work on. I wanted something old enough to be able to work on in my driveway, rear wheel drive, big engine (previous cars were Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid), and relatively reliable and inexpensive to maintain. So, it looks like I should get a mid 2000s Lexus GS430 or LS430/460, right? Nahhh. Too practical. SC430 it is.

I won this 2006 with 117K miles a few weeks ago at a Copart auction, sight unseen, from Georgia. I won the bid at 4100, but there was a reserve of 6300. I talked them down to 5700, and the deal was done. I SHOULD have negotiated down some more (especially after I found out about the many missing interior pieces), but I was too afraid of loosing the car. Except for the damage, the car is in excellent condition and the best I've seen on the east coast the 3 months I've been searching. Not a hint of rust (except for surface rust on the dent).

Problems
* Rear drivers side quarter was hit at the bumper level (under tail light level). The dent just barely touches the frame rail, so I lucked out there. The dent touches the convertible hinge assembly, but it looks straight and undamaged. I'm too nervous to test the rood until I can confirm the assembly has no damage. I bought a portable hydraulic frame repair kit to work on the damage. It's not structural, so is within my abilities to work on. I will need to at spot welds to the seam that pulled apart.
* Somehow, a big 5" dent was added to the front, middle of the hood after auction, which really knocked the wind out of my sails. There is no paint crack, so I'm hoping it is possible to get a paintless dent repair performed.
* The car is missing many obscure parts from the trunk, which will add up if I purchase separately. Super frustrating and such a waste of resources. Most of the trim panels are missing. Both tail lights missing. Bumper marker lights missing. ALL hardware associated with the bumper is missing, except for the crash bar, which shockingly has no damage. The kicker? The crash bar is the ONLY part I ordered myself before the car arrived!
* The owners manual, wheel locks and maintenance records are all missing. I hope I can get the records from Lexus, especially regarding possibility of timing belt being already replaced.

Exterior is silver and interior is beige with the darker wood trim. Leather needs a little cleaning but is in great condition.

I took a quick test drive on a side street and the car performs great. Braking is amazing compared to my other Toyotas. No bad noises or vibrations from the drivetrain. Car drives straight. No rattles.

So now, the hunt is on for parts. I need:
* Rear bumper assembly. (foam reinforcer, bumper cover, clips/bolts)
* Rear tail lights.
* Rear bumper lights.
* Interior trunk panels: Left hinge cover panel, audio amp cover panel, spare tire cover panel

Old 11-10-20, 08:42 AM
bmohan55
9th Gear

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Newbie - 2005

Just picked this up yesterday, 2005 with 58,000 miles. Needs some small body damage repairs and thorough cleaning of the white leather interior. Will do a complete re-paint to make her look her best! Drove it back from Nashville to Richmond...rode great...can't believe how solid it felt AND quite peppy when goosing the skinny pedal to pass!

Our first Lexus. Both VSC lights are on but a little research here should solve that, right?

Old 11-10-20, 08:44 AM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 264 Likes on 182 Posts

Originally Posted by hybridview
It's so great to see such an active community for this car! I've always wanted an SC400 since I was in high school (class of 1997). Then I was all about the SC430 when it came out. Due to COVID and being able to work from home for the foreseeable future, it was perfect timing to get a project car to work on. I wanted something old enough to be able to work on in my driveway, rear wheel drive, big engine (previous cars were Avalon Hybrid and Camry Hybrid), and relatively reliable and inexpensive to maintain. So, it looks like I should get a mid 2000s Lexus GS430 or LS430/460, right? Nahhh. Too practical. SC430 it is.

I won this 2006 with 117K miles a few weeks ago at a Copart auction, sight unseen, from Georgia. I won the bid at 4100, but there was a reserve of 6300. I talked them down to 5700, and the deal was done. I SHOULD have negotiated down some more (especially after I found out about the many missing interior pieces), but I was too afraid of loosing the car. Except for the damage, the car is in excellent condition and the best I've seen on the east coast the 3 months I've been searching. Not a hint of rust (except for surface rust on the dent).

Problems
* Rear drivers side quarter was hit at the bumper level (under tail light level). The dent just barely touches the frame rail, so I lucked out there. The dent touches the convertible hinge assembly, but it looks straight and undamaged. I'm too nervous to test the rood until I can confirm the assembly has no damage. I bought a portable hydraulic frame repair kit to work on the damage. It's not structural, so is within my abilities to work on. I will need to at spot welds to the seam that pulled apart.
* Somehow, a big 5" dent was added to the front, middle of the hood after auction, which really knocked the wind out of my sails. There is no paint crack, so I'm hoping it is possible to get a paintless dent repair performed.
* The car is missing many obscure parts from the trunk, which will add up if I purchase separately. Super frustrating and such a waste of resources. Most of the trim panels are missing. Both tail lights missing. Bumper marker lights missing. ALL hardware associated with the bumper is missing, except for the crash bar, which shockingly has no damage. The kicker? The crash bar is the ONLY part I ordered myself before the car arrived!
* The owners manual, wheel locks and maintenance records are all missing. I hope I can get the records from Lexus, especially regarding possibility of timing belt being already replaced.

Exterior is silver and interior is beige with the darker wood trim. Leather needs a little cleaning but is in great condition.

I took a quick test drive on a side street and the car performs great. Braking is amazing compared to my other Toyotas. No bad noises or vibrations from the drivetrain. Car drives straight. No rattles.

So now, the hunt is on for parts. I need:
* Rear bumper assembly. (foam reinforcer, bumper cover, clips/bolts)
* Rear tail lights.
* Rear bumper lights.
* Interior trunk panels: Left hinge cover panel, audio amp cover panel, spare tire cover panel

Welcome to the forum.
Don't know what it'll cost you to get the missing part for the trunk but I know for a fact that the tail light alone will cost around $500. I bought a set to upgrade my pre-2006 model,. You might want to look at local junkyard and make offer for multiple pieces to get discount.
Old 11-10-20, 10:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

JDMSC430, hybridview & bmohan55, welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisitions.

hybridview, look around the engine compartment for a sticker. Typically when a timing belt is replaced, they place a sticker somewhere in there, kind of like the oil change folks place them on your windshield. IIRC, my sticker is on the frame that holds the radiator on the driver's side.
Old 11-10-20, 10:51 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Harold57
JDMSC430, hybridview & bmohan55, welcome to the forum and congrats on your acquisitions.
Ditto and congratulations on joining the SC 430 club! With a little bit of luck, you will fall in love with your acquisitions and enjoy many years of Lexus flagship rewards!
Old 11-10-20, 04:55 PM
Byescott
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Our new ride

My wife and I are so excited to join the SC club with our recent acquisition of a 2006 with 26,000 miles on it. Unbelievable it is almost like buying a new car. After 14 years it still has that new car smell. Look forward to becoming an active member of the group.

My wife in her new ride

Love these wheels

The following 3 users liked this post by Byescott:
digitatc (11-10-20), GmanSC (11-20-20), SC300Es (12-19-20)
Old 11-10-20, 09:06 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 567 Likes on 433 Posts

Wow. Congrats and welcome to the club.
Old 11-17-20, 10:39 PM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default New owner of an old 2002 SC430

Getting familiar with club. Thank you.
Old 11-18-20, 12:16 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by Byescott
My wife and I are so excited to join the SC club with our recent acquisition of a 2006 with 26,000 miles on it. Unbelievable it is almost like buying a new car. After 14 years it still has that new car smell. Look forward to becoming an active member of the group.
Welcome to the "SC club"...you found a good example with low miles! I especially like your color combo and wheels. These are solid vehicles and you will come to appreciate it even more over the years. Congrats!

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread