Search this Thread

Old 03-15-21, 07:47 PM
Lexsalot
5th Gear

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Greetings & Salutations

Aloha,
from Beautiful Kailua Kona Hawaii where I
am enjoying as much wind in my hair as possible.
Mahalo for those that have welcomed me
to the SC430 Family. I am still marveling at how fine an automobile She is.. I have owned
many vehicles during my almost 62 years on this little slice of Heaven we call Earth but none could compare to this Beauty.
Funny story...Last week I contacted the original owner of Lexie (my cars name) by calling the number listed on the almost 20 years of service records I received from the dealership. John who is now in his 80's chuckled when I told him I bought the car as a gift for my upcoming 62 birthday & that a few months ago I bought my Wonderful Wife's 2004 Miata for her 60th birthday. As it turns out he bought the SC430 for his 60th birthday and recently traded it in for something slightly easier to enter and exit.
So if my longevity is equal to his and the car holds up for another 20 years it will be approximately 40 years old and made a couple of older guys blood flow a little faster and Happy... New after market rims just arrived today hopefully have them installed this week. I also ordered paint for the brake calipers since they will be showing much more with new open rims; don't care much for the oem rims on 2002.
I took a couple of photos with the new rims resting against the wheels on Lexie..
Ohh, something else I have never done, I entered Lexie into a local car show next month...
Well Aloha for now, may You & Yours be Wonderfully Blessed.

Big difference from oem. Went with White Rims with some machined accents. Rare to see White rims here

in Hawaii.

Painting the brake calipers Gold to accent the White, Gold (065 code) paint.
The following 3 users liked this post by Lexsalot:
RichardMor (03-16-21), Seattle SCone (03-16-21), texsexlex (03-16-21)
Old 03-15-21, 11:08 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

What’s a beauty. Again, congrats.
Old 03-16-21, 10:15 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum AlCayman and Lexsalot. Nice looking cars!
Old 03-17-21, 07:04 AM
AlCayman
9th Gear

Received 14 Likes on 6 Posts

Thank you! Glad to be here with all other SC430 fans!
Old 03-18-21, 10:52 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Received 45 Likes on 27 Posts
Default Back in the Club!

Hello Lexus Enthusiast's,
This past year was a good one for my automotive quests. I purchased two southern cars. 2006 Lexus LS 430, Moonlight Pearl, Ecru Leather, 58,000 miles. 2006 Lexus SC430 Matador Red, Camel Leather, 37,000 miles. Both are one owner cars and were well taken care of by Lexus Service with full documentation. See attached pictures. I am now going to sit down and read the 600 + entries on this thread. There s a lot of Lexus Owner institutional knowledge that I need to catch up on.

BTW, I owned an SC430 several years ago and came up with the fix for the crunching sound under car that occurs only the first time in the AM when you sit in the

An Automotive Piece of Art!

car. It was due to a dry ball socket for the height control sensor behind the L/F wheel (search previous post). The pivot points were all dried out (heat). I removed L/F wheel, disconnected the pivot sockets, applied never seize to sockets. reassemble, noise gone. I chased that noise for two years. Good hunting!

Best,
Tom

Last edited by tiglesias; 03-18-21 at 02:34 PM.
The following 2 users liked this post by tiglesias:
Born2saw (03-18-21), SC300Es (03-19-21)
Old 03-18-21, 01:07 PM
Born2saw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Welcome back to the forum.
Two sweet looking rides!
Do you mind sharing what you paid?
Old 03-18-21, 01:32 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

I always pay too much but I get what I want. Which means my preferred exterior/interior color choice, low mileage, original owner, no accidents, no auctions, Lexus scheduled maintenance at Lexus only, southern cars, excellent paint and leather interior, no modifications, cream puffs only need apply. 06 SC430 - $29,000 37,281 miles 06 LS430 - $16,714 53,194 miles.
Old 03-18-21, 02:21 PM
Born2saw
Driver

Received 21 Likes on 17 Posts

Hard to say what “too much” is. My SC430 is the least expensive car I own (2002, 130k miles) but gives me the most pleasure and has been trouble free. You have 2 cars that with minimal regular maintenance could easily transport you in safety and comfort for another 150k miles on each. Dollars per use they are very cost effective.
Old 03-18-21, 04:45 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Well said Born. Total cost of ownership divided by the joy of driving = Your value of personal ownership.
Old 03-18-21, 05:53 PM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by tiglesias
Hello Lexus Enthusiast's,
This past year was a good one for my automotive quests. I purchased two southern cars. 2006 Lexus LS 430, Moonlight Pearl, Ecru Leather, 58,000 miles. 2006 Lexus SC430 Matador Red, Camel Leather, 37,000 miles. Both are one owner cars and were well taken care of by Lexus Service with full documentation. See attached pictures. I am now going to sit down and read the 600 + entries on this thread. There s a lot of Lexus Owner institutional knowledge that I need to catch up on.

BTW, I owned an SC430 several years ago and came up with the fix for the crunching sound under car that occurs only the first time in the AM when you sit in the

An Automotive Piece of Art!

car. It was due to a dry ball socket for the height control sensor behind the L/F wheel (search previous post). The pivot points were all dried out (heat). I removed L/F wheel, disconnected the pivot sockets, applied never seize to sockets. reassemble, noise gone. I chased that noise for two years. Good hunting!

Best,
Tom
Hiya there, Tom.
Would you please to elaborate a bit more on the subject of crunching. 2002 SC430. Еach time on the cold start, when going out in reverse from garage, I have the same awful sound. Then after some run no sound. What AM stands for?
Thank you, Joe.
Old 03-18-21, 06:22 PM
signalfire
Driver School Candidate

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by jszachar
Hiya there, Tom.
Would you please to elaborate a bit more on the subject of crunching. 2002 SC430. Еach time on the cold start, when going out in reverse from garage, I have the same awful sound. Then after some run no sound. What AM stands for?
Thank you, Joe.
'AM' simply means in the morning (from the Latin). I too have this sound on first backing up out of the garage; just became aware of it in the last few days, but it appears to be coming from the right front area. It's a slight 'crunching' sound best described. Is this an actual problem or something I can let go? I've spent enough on this car lately and need to scale back. Although my local mechanic is either in love with me, or the car. Hard to tell which. I live in a small retirement town and the car creates a small sensation every time it's out in the lot waiting to be worked on or picked up by me...
Old 03-18-21, 06:48 PM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Hiya there, Signalfire.
I suspect, it might be a transmission mount. Ordered one from Rockauto. Gonna install it by myself. We'll see...
Thank you.
Old 03-19-21, 06:51 AM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Several owners have experienced this problem and the fix we came up with is only to this specific condition:

The first use of the car in the morning or after it has been sitting for at least 4 hours, upon entering the car and while sitting down in the drivers seat there is a distinct high pitch crunching sound (one only) coming from the L/F part of the under carriage behind the L/F tire. This noise occurs without the owner starting or moving the vehicle and it will not repeat until the next sit cycle. The cause is a Height Sensor Link for the Lighting system that has two ball sockets that have dried out and are making the crunching sound. Remove tire, remove link and spray never seize in the ball sockets, reinstall. Fixed. I know of owners(including myself) that were chasing this noise on their SC's for years. Look up related posts for excellent pictures of the Height Sensor Link. Good luck!

Tom

Last edited by tiglesias; 03-20-21 at 06:30 AM.
The following users liked this post:
jszachar (03-19-21)
Old 03-19-21, 10:53 PM
jszachar
Driver School Candidate

Hiya there, Tom - tiglesias
I am very grateful for such detailed explanation.
Will look into it. Joe.
Old 03-20-21, 08:17 PM
tiglesias
Pit Crew

Question: I noticed several members have posted at the bottom of postings the cars they have previously owned. I added those to my Profile page under modifications but they did not transmit to a "test" posting I made. Please advise.

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread