SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-21, 07:59 PM
jcromero
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Lexcious
Hi, from South Florida. Tomorrow I receive my new, to me, 2002 SC430 and am excited as it's my first Lexus.

I've been a convertible driver for about thirty years -- first Corvettes and the last four were BMW. A back problem that I had for two years made it very difficult to get in and out of the last one, a 650i. So two years ago I traded that for a Lincoln MKZ specifically for the massage seats (they are great) and how reasonably priced the car was as a CPO compared to others.

Happy to say I'm recovering quickly from back surgery, so it's time to have the wind flow through my few hairs again. I get attached to cars, so this time I focused only on cars known for reliability so I can hopefully keep it forever. I looked at Solara's and SC430s. The Solara was very nice, but being a car lover I quickly knew it was going to be the SC430.

2002 Millenium Silver with Ecru
80,000 miles (Lexus serviced, timing chain at 78,000)
Was snowbird car, mostly in Florida
Has Mark Levinson and spoiler

I'm positive I'll have a lot of questions that can be answered just by looking through all the posts here.

Things I'm thinking about once I know the car is a keeper:
1. Adding backup camera, bluetooth and blind spot monitors if possible
2. Replacing wheels with original "pie plates" -- I think they are cool

beautiful car! I bought mine a couple of months ago but haven't posted it yet, same color combination. Your first wish in upgrades should be a no brainer... A really cool product is coming out. I'm super excited about adding this to mine. I will post a description once I install it.
The following users liked this post:
Lexcious (05-21-21)
Old 05-16-21, 09:29 PM
digitatc
Instructor

Received 263 Likes on 182 Posts

Hi, from South Florida. Tomorrow I receive my new, to me, 2002 SC430 and am excited as it's my first Lexus.

I've been a convertible driver for about thirty years -- first Corvettes and the last four were BMW. A back problem that I had for two years made it very difficult to get in and out of the last one, a 650i. So two years ago I traded that for a Lincoln MKZ specifically for the massage seats (they are great) and how reasonably priced the car was as a CPO compared to others.

Happy to say I'm recovering quickly from back surgery, so it's time to have the wind flow through my few hairs again. I get attached to cars, so this time I focused only on cars known for reliability so I can hopefully keep it forever. I looked at Solara's and SC430s. The Solara was very nice, but being a car lover I quickly knew it was going to be the SC430.

I'm positive I'll have a lot of questions that can be answered just by looking through all the posts here.

the set of wheels you have is one of the super rare 2010 SC430. And there are only about 329 of them so why get rid of them? Unless they are not the real deal.
The following 2 users liked this post by digitatc:
Lexcious (05-21-21), teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-17-21, 12:32 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 491 Likes on 391 Posts

Originally Posted by digitatc
the set of wheels you have is one of the super rare 2010 SC430. And there are only about 329 of them so why get rid of them? Unless they are not the real deal.
This wheel and exterior color combo is one of the best I've seen. The pie plates are gross!
Lexcious (05-21-21)
Old 05-19-21, 05:58 AM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 904 Likes on 725 Posts

those tourmaline wheels are super nice…I replaced the pie plates on my former 2002 with these wheels…one of my favorite wheel style.
Lexcious (05-21-21)
Old 05-21-21, 04:15 AM
Lexcious
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks guys! I had been trying to find out more about the wheel options for the car each model year, but can't find any posted brochures. I appreciate the heads up on the name "Tourmaline". I joined the Lexus Owners Club, and one of the line items for that day's service was to install one of two wheel options that the customer was deciding on that he saw on display.

Last edited by Lexcious; 05-21-21 at 04:19 AM. Reason: Didn't realize was responding to two posts, thought just one
Old 05-22-21, 03:11 PM
Motrstreet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default Got one!!

Hi Team,

I have been a member for years but I believe this is my first post. Please forgive my slackness. I always see great content and camaraderie here which is fantastic.

My current Location is Dunedin New Zealand and I just purchased a 2002 Toyota Soarer (SC430) from a Japanese auction. car is fully original apart from aftermarket stereo touchscreen (not very tastefully done but ok I’ll get to it). Car was enthusiast owned and pronounced as new.

Reason for buying:

Been thinking about getting a V8 but also wanted another JDM ride, I always had my eye on the SC 430 which ticks all the boxes. When I came across the right example it was a no brainer and I hit the trigger.

specs:

- right hand drive
- 59k miles on the clock (94k kilometers)
- Indigo Ink Pearl color I believe
- black leather interior
- reddish brown wood trim (not my cup will get addressed)
- sound system TBC (but I believe all Soarers came with ML)

it’s currently still still sitting at the auction port in Japan waiting to get shipped. I haven’t decided what I will do with it yet, I am considering the JDM route or keeping as standard as possible.

guaranteed planned mods:

-19 wheels (most likely concave staggered 9 front 10.5 rears with a 35 - 25 offset (+)
- adjustable suspension with a around 7.5front and about 6 rear spring rate
- cusco front and rear stabilizers
- face lift tail lights
- front lip to square it off a little
- throttle boost controller
- rear view camera

potential mods:
- full body kit (but not too extreme)
- adjustable camber links
- brembo big breaks and slotted rotors
- performance exhaust

here is a few pics from the auction car port in Japan waiting to be shipped out. Warning they are horrible angles and quality lol.

Last edited by Motrstreet; 05-22-21 at 03:38 PM.
Old 05-22-21, 05:08 PM
Dripley
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Purchased 2007 SC 430 from DMV in Fairfax, VA

Originally Posted by Welcome to CL
Members,

When you get your SC430, please introduce yourself and your vehicle here!

Tell us some details about your new SC430;

1. Exterior color
2. Interior color
3. Audio options (Mark Levinson)
4. Other major options or packages
5. Any modifications
6. Anything you want to mention (others considered, previous Lex owner, etc)
7. If you are INTERNATIONAL, state which city/country your representing!
8. Post pics or links to your car (you can upload pics in our gallery)

and congratulations from Club Lexus!
Hi, I just purchased a 2007 SC 430 from DMV, Fairfax, VA. I love the way it drives! Still figuring out the NAV package and other elements.
Old 05-22-21, 05:30 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum Dripley & Motrstreet. Congrats on your acquisitions.
teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 09:58 AM
teedawg83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Greetings, group!

I've been lurking for a few months since I bought my 2004 SC430.

Has about 140,000 miles, had a few issues but I'm lucky enough to work at the Lexus dealership in Lubbock, Texas, so I get employee pricing on parts and service.

This came as a trade-in and I resisted. For about a day.

I drove it once and had to have it, even though I knew next to nothing about the SC except the infamous Top Gear review. The service record did not show that the timing belt had ever been replaced (!), so I got that done quickly after buying it. Brake job, had one balky motor on the top mechanism that had to be replaced.

It still has the original Levinson audio, and my main upgrade plan is to add the backup camera/bluetooth/Apple Car Play kit. Any suggestions from anyone who has had that done?

Thanks for all the wisdom I've soaked up from everybody here!
RichardMor (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum teedawg83 and congrats on your acquisition.
teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 12:19 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Welcome Teedawg, where does that come from? Aren’t you a Red Raider? We were in Lubbock recently with our 06 visiting relatives. Decided to move from Seattle to central Texas (near Copperas Cove) and are currently in the process of building a home there. Hope we can criss paths some day. Enjoy your SC!

Richard
2006 Lexus SC430
1990 Avanti LTS (4-door)
1997 Honda Valkyrie
teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 12:22 PM
teedawg83
Driver School Candidate

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by RichardMor
Welcome Teedawg, where does that come from? Aren’t you a Red Raider? We were in Lubbock recently with our 06 visiting relatives. Decided to move from Seattle to central Texas (near Copperas Cove) and are currently in the process of building a home there. Hope we can criss paths some day. Enjoy your SC!

Richard
2006 Lexus SC430
1990 Avanti LTS (4-door)
1997 Honda Valkyrie
Yes sir, just retired from teaching/coaching, and working in the Internet Sales office at the local Lexus dealership. Another shot from here on the Texas Tech campus:

The following 2 users liked this post by teedawg83:
Golfcoast (05-26-21), RichardMor (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 01:46 PM
RichardMor
Driver

Received 29 Likes on 22 Posts

Your car is in beautiful condition. Hope you enjoy it trouble-free for a long time.
teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-26-21, 07:03 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 564 Likes on 430 Posts

Welcome to the club and congrats on your new SC.
teedawg83 (05-26-21)
Old 05-27-21, 12:44 AM
Motrstreet
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Originally Posted by teedawg83
Greetings, group!

I've been lurking for a few months since I bought my 2004 SC430.

Has about 140,000 miles, had a few issues but I'm lucky enough to work at the Lexus dealership in Lubbock, Texas, so I get employee pricing on parts and service.

This came as a trade-in and I resisted. For about a day.

I drove it once and had to have it, even though I knew next to nothing about the SC except the infamous Top Gear review. The service record did not show that the timing belt had ever been replaced (!), so I got that done quickly after buying it. Brake job, had one balky motor on the top mechanism that had to be replaced.

It still has the original Levinson audio, and my main upgrade plan is to add the backup camera/bluetooth/Apple Car Play kit. Any suggestions from anyone who has had that done?

Thanks for all the wisdom I've soaked up from everybody here!
Welcome Teedawg83 and nice whip you acquired.
Regarding stereo upgrade etc. I’m sure there is a plethora of wisdom on upgrades floating around in this forum. Just in case I’ll give you an update once mine arrives from Japan it already has a touch screen installed and chances are I’ll dismember most of the vehicle and put it back together with upgrades so will check the loom amongst other parts to see if it’s a plug and play situation or not.

Enjoy the top down life.
The following 2 users liked this post by Motrstreet:
Effrimvee (09-29-21), teedawg83 (05-28-21)

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread