SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread

Search this Thread

Old 08-31-21, 06:01 PM
Etski
Rookie

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

congratulations! Can I ask what you paid? nice low mileage, no accidents! 15k?
Old 08-31-21, 06:03 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Good luck Dave. You will have fun time to drive her home especially along the coast top down. I did just that last Oct, 2k miles up and down California coastal. What’s the experience.
Old 09-01-21, 05:04 AM
JTBMD
Driver School Candidate

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

My 88 year old father is the original owner of a 2004 SC430 with 17,200 miles. He is wanting to sell the car. Do any of you have suggestions on the best sites to sell an SC430 verses just selling it back to the dealer?
Old 09-01-21, 06:48 AM
FatBuoy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Etski
congratulations! Can I ask what you paid? nice low mileage, no accidents! 15k?
I wish! Have you seen what these are going for? I could have bought an 06 with 122k miles for that.
Old 09-01-21, 06:50 AM
FatBuoy
Rookie

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Good luck Dave. You will have fun time to drive her home especially along the coast top down. I did just that last Oct, 2k miles up and down California coastal. What’s the experience.
Thanks! We just did it in our little RV. 2001 Chinook Premier. Went from SanFran to LA. I had done it on a motorcycle, but wanted my wife to see it. I chose to go North to South this time, so she could have the ocean on her side instead of having to look across me. Great decision. She/we absolutely loved it.
Old 09-01-21, 10:03 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Welcome to the forum FatBuoy and congrats on your purchase. Have a great and safe trip.
The following users liked this post:
FatBuoy (09-02-21)
Old 09-01-21, 01:58 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 484 Likes on 385 Posts

Originally Posted by JTBMD
My 88 year old father is the original owner of a 2004 SC430 with 17,200 miles. He is wanting to sell the car. Do any of you have suggestions on the best sites to sell an SC430 verses just selling it back to the dealer?
Craigslist, AutoTrader, Cars.com, and even Kelly Blue Book offers a used car, private selling listing service. I've personally sold many cars on Craigslist without a single issue. If you are a full fledged member, you can even list your SC on Club Lexus! Congrats on going this route as you aim to come out thousands ahead by selling private vs selling it to a dealer. Some in the other forums have claimed getting good deals by selling to Carmax, Carvana, and the like, but I have to believe you can do even better selling it to a private person. In other words, cut out the middle man.

I've written in another forum to inform others of the best ways to avoid the pitfalls of selling one's vehicle privately. If you don't have experience selling privately, I can link you to that thread if you like, or just send you the information in a private message.
Old 09-01-21, 02:54 PM
JTBMD
Driver School Candidate

Thank you Wilson2000. Do you have a “ballpark” number you think would be a fair price for the buyer and seller. My dad’s car in in “as new” condition and has been exclusively dealer maintained. Egyptian Sand Pearl with Saddle interior. At his age he prefers to drive his new GS with all the newer electronics. Thanks for your input.
Old 09-01-21, 03:26 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Thank you Wilson2000. Do you have a “ballpark” number you think would be a fair price for the buyer and seller. My dad’s car in in “as new” condition and has been exclusively dealer maintained. Egyptian Sand Pearl with Saddle interior. At his age he prefers to drive his new GS with all the newer electronics. Thanks for your input.
Kelly Blue Book (KBB) ballparks your dad's SC at between $24-27K (in my Silicon Valley zipcode). This seems high, but it is due to the extremely low miles and the excellent condition. If the timing belt hasn't been done, you may need to subtract $1.5-2K. The tires may be past their expiration date (judging by the extreme low miles), so you would need to consider the cost of tires and TPMS sensors--at least another $1-1.5K. KBB's "excellent rating" requires the car to have no flaws and no major maintenance due. Personally, I don't think your color combo is best, but, that's subjective. Go to KBB.com and enter your details into the "what's my car worth" form. In the end, select "private party value." Surprisingly, the "trade-in" value was high as well, although, dealers are notorious for not offering fair trade-in prices.

Post some pics for us SC430 Forum peeps to drool over...we're all a bunch of sick SC430 lovebirds! Maybe it will lead to a sale referral?

The good news for current owners of SC430's is that values have been going up as the motoring public is starting to appreciate how great these cars are!
Old 09-01-21, 05:25 PM
JTBMD
Driver School Candidate

I will post some pictures tomorrow. Thank you for all your thoughts and help
Old 09-02-21, 05:14 AM
JTBMD
Driver School Candidate

Here are a few pictures of my father’s car. I would appreciate any input as to its value. The tires are original. I assume the same for the timing belt. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Old 09-02-21, 09:11 AM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Here are a few pictures of my father’s car. I would appreciate any input as to its value. The tires are original. I assume the same for the timing belt. Thanks in advance for any responses.
Wow, very nice! Many of the active SC430 regular posters must not be following this thread, or you would have gotten a lot more responses to your post. Please start a new thread in the SC430 forum and repeat your previous post, with the same pics, and I'm sure you will get a lot more opinions from the group.

You should consider advertising your vehicle nation-wide, so AutoTrader and Cars.com may be good for this. I'm going to peddle my 1985 MR2 soon, and I've been hearing good things about a car selling service called "bring a trailer." Here's a link to their FAQ page:

https://bringatrailer.com/faq/

I don't know anything about them, but it appears to be an on-line auction site. An auction sounds risky though, unless one can put a reserve on the selling price (most car auctions allow this). Too, auctions usually take a percent of the sale price, so you are essentially dealing with a middle man (like carvana and carmax).

Perhaps try listing it nationwide first, and if you don't get any takers, try bringatrailer? What was your take on KBB's price range? It sounded high initially to me, but, now that I see it...makes sense! Since the top of the range is $27K, you might list it for that or $28K, and then be willing to come down to $25K when the timing belt and tires/TPMS are identified (by the buyer) as issues. Give yourself wiggle room.

In 2016, I paid $30K for a red 2008, with 42K miles, in pristine condition. But the 2006-2010's are more sought-after as Lexus made some significant improvements after 2005. SC430 values must be going up if your 2004 is worth $27K today!
Old 09-02-21, 10:23 AM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

If yours is an 06+, you could get up to $30K. Since it’s an 04, you may get an offer around $25K.
Post the new thread in general discussion, you’ll get more responses.
Old 09-03-21, 08:23 PM
Triple
Driver School Candidate

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Default 04" sc 430

I picked up this awesome new to me convertible last month. The photo was taken the day of purchase. I like to detail and as such, I've done about 40 hours of work thus far.

Happy to be here!

Triple

1. Silver
2. Beige
3. Mark Levinson
4. Stock
5. Removed resonators and exhaust tips
6. Purchased from a 18 year female on her way to collage
7. Sacramento, Cal

The following 2 users liked this post by Triple:
texsexlex (09-03-21), Wilson2000 (09-04-21)
Old 09-04-21, 01:37 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Triple
I picked up this awesome new to me convertible last month. The photo was taken the day of purchase.
Year, miles, purchase price?

Quick Reply: Welcome to Club Lexus! SC430 owner roll call & member introduction thread