SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

When do you buy a battery? Garage Queen-itis

Search this Thread

Old 04-23-11, 07:45 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts
Default When do you buy a battery? Garage Queen-itis

Okay, the last three times I've gone out to Ebony in the garage to drive her after sitting for more than three days, she has not been able to turn over.

She's not completely dead, and interior lights come on, but she's slow to turn or no turn, just click.

I put the jumpers on her and she fires right up. I drive her for a decent amount of time, park her, run errands, etc and she still fires right up.

Then she sits for 3-5 days and all of a sudden she's dead again. Seems like 3days is the max she can go.

I THOUGHT my battery was new after the CPO process but after I scrubbed all my maintenance documents, including the 161 point inspection where they replaced wipers, brakes, 30k service, etc I noticed NO battery replacement was done.

I guess I'm operating on borrowed time for a battery??? Original delivery date was 9/21/2004. If this is the Original OEM battery (says Lexus on it and looks like the terminal posts have never been touched) then WOW! Great life for an original OEM battery, huh? Car spent first four years in San Diego now Dallas. I'm assuming our crazy climate in Dallas and the long periods of sitting did it in. I would do a trickle charger but the location my plug in on the wall in my garage would cause us to trip over the cords every time we had to get into our other cars!

Park Place Lexus has a GREAT deal on batteries....$162 list (Interstate OEM Lexus, Panasonic starting making the newer ones for other Lexus) for only $107!!! I'm jumping on this deal. No puns intended $107 for a OEM battery is a great price!!!
Old 04-23-11, 08:19 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Run a cord across the ceiling and then down to the car so you can put a battery tender on it. My oem battery died after 2 years and you know the kind of use I get. They installed a new oem battery its been on a battery tender since and it seems to be ok . I would absolutely get a tender on the new battery . If your garage has an auto opener just run a power cable to it and install the tender on the ceiling and drop the cable down I have the mating terminal attached to my battery so I just plug it in or unplug it.
Old 04-23-11, 08:31 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I agree with mrblister. Install a raceway on the ceiling for power and mount the battery tender. But that is a great price on an OEM battery and if is the original installed one, you got your money out it.

On the other hand Derek, it's sounding more and more like there are fewer days ahead for Ebony than those enjoyed in the past.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 04-23-11 at 08:34 AM.
Old 04-23-11, 08:53 AM
scdroptop

Ahhhhh! Good idea. I wasn't looking up! I have an outlet on the ceiling! Thanks for the idea! I'm going to PP to get the $107 battery!

Yeah Bob, recently I haven't been able to drive either of my fun cars, as my wife has been all hemmed up with her achilles for 3+ weeks now. Running errands and taking my son to school, picking up, grocery shopping etc with $4.00 a gallon for premium (both my Infiniti and SC take that) I'm using my paid for company car AS MUCH AS I CAN!

No excuse though, I need to do better with at least starting and driving the garage queens around the block.

My 09 FX35 has 18k miles on it and it was delivered 12/08. Another garage queen? Perhaps. I may actually keep this one....NAH! Always wanted a RR Supercharged or a LX570...that may be my next one. One more year to go on my lease. I am really thinking about that G37 convertible too. Maybe another Infiniti lease??? Perhaps.
Old 04-23-11, 09:58 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

It's an itch that may drive you crazy, that is, until it gets scratched. I'm sure you'll be sorry to see Ebony to end up at that big used car auction in the sky.
Old 04-23-11, 07:43 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts

Since mine's my daily driver, I don't have the experience of a battery that isn't used regularly. Still, living in Texas, I've never gotten more than 3.5 - 4 years out of any battery.

Getting stranded in my own garage sucks, so I bought a charger / starter from Sears. It regularly goes on sale for $42-45, like this one:
http://www.sears.com/shc/s/p_10153_12605_02871222000P
Harbor Freight also has a similarly-rated one that could be (only) a few $$ cheaper when it's on sale. These may serve all your needs.

Handy for getting the car out of the garage to where I can get a replacement (I used Park Place too, which is close to home).
Old 04-24-11, 03:17 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Okay, the last three times I've gone out to Ebony in the garage to drive her after sitting for more than three days, she has not been able to turn over.

She's not completely dead, and interior lights come on, but she's slow to turn or no turn, just click.

I put the jumpers on her and she fires right up. I drive her for a decent amount of time, park her, run errands, etc and she still fires right up.

Then she sits for 3-5 days and all of a sudden she's dead again. Seems like 3days is the max she can go.

I THOUGHT my battery was new after the CPO process but after I scrubbed all my maintenance documents, including the 161 point inspection where they replaced wipers, brakes, 30k service, etc I noticed NO battery replacement was done.

I guess I'm operating on borrowed time for a battery??? Original delivery date was 9/21/2004. If this is the Original OEM battery (says Lexus on it and looks like the terminal posts have never been touched) then WOW! Great life for an original OEM battery, huh? Car spent first four years in San Diego now Dallas. I'm assuming our crazy climate in Dallas and the long periods of sitting did it in. I would do a trickle charger but the location my plug in on the wall in my garage would cause us to trip over the cords every time we had to get into our other cars!

Park Place Lexus has a GREAT deal on batteries....$162 list (Interstate OEM Lexus, Panasonic starting making the newer ones for other Lexus) for only $107!!! I'm jumping on this deal. No puns intended $107 for a OEM battery is a great price!!!
...hey SC, I think I got my monies worth also out of my battery. My car is a 02' and I just replaced the battery about 2/3 months ago and it was the factory battery that came with the car !!! ed
Old 04-24-11, 07:38 PM
scdroptop

Wow! Might be a record. Wow!!! Perhaps I replaced mine prematurely but jumping it once a week after letting it sit for a few days sucks. Especially when we have a tight window of three hours top-down driving lately in DFW with all these storms! Guess it's a blessing to get rain for all these wildfires though-I shouldn't complain.
Old 04-24-11, 09:39 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Wow! Might be a record. Wow!!! Perhaps I replaced mine prematurely but jumping it once a week after letting it sit for a few days sucks. Especially when we have a tight window of three hours top-down driving lately in DFW with all these storms! Guess it's a blessing to get rain for all these wildfires though-I shouldn't complain.
...every once in awhile I might get a signal that it was close to dying,usually if i was washing/drying with the doors open and maybe the radio on,then I would have to jump it off.But the big ice/snow storm we had a few months ago,did me in !!! I had to jump it off everyday it was cold,so I went ahead and bought a new one,then discovered the car had the original battery on it !!!...and yes the storms have been a blessing for the people suffering from the fires and my yard also..lol