SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Music skips with Bass at 0??

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 10:45 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Music skips with Bass at 0??

My radio is completely stock Mark Levinson. Whether I'm using CDs or if I'm using my mp3 player via tape adapter, the music skips whenever I turn it up loud. If I put the bass down to -2 or -3 it never skips.

So if my system just extra sensitive? Or is there a fix for this? thanks!

wanna suggest optimal music settings, i.e. bass/treble/mid/etc?
Old 04-24-11, 11:49 AM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

..I know these systems are very sensitive and I've noticed that if you're actually playing a song with some good bass,you can feel it through out the car. I might check to see if the radio itself might be a little loose,the bass vibration might be just enough to make it shake/vibrate on some of the stronger bass notes,which could cause it to skip...also might try a cd and tape head cleaner,this could give the same results in some situations
Old 04-24-11, 11:56 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

do you really need to use the tape / cd head cleaner? i forgot those even existed. does that work? its definitely the bass, whenever it hits a loud beat it will skip. it does this even when coming from mp3 so that means the system itself is skipping, not the actual track or CD.
Old 04-24-11, 12:17 PM
texsexlex
Racer

...well I was thinking if the laser was dirty,then the bass notes might be making it skip(same with tape player adapter)...but thats why I suggested trying to see if the unit might be loose. Whatever is causing it can't be because of the unit itself,but because of the amount of bass setting..if that makes sense ???...so when you turn down the bass,then there is less vibration,which gives you no skip...so your skip is because of the bass vibration of the unit...and as for the cleaners,they are still out there...lol
Old 04-24-11, 04:59 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Maybe your amp (subwoofer amp) is going out. It may shut off if it overheats (speculation) and if it has a problem, it may be shutting down when only driven at a 0 setting. If you are still under warranty, I suggest bringing it in to the dealer.
Old 04-24-11, 07:22 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

My guess is too that your amp or second guess head unit. Could be as small as wiring issue coming loose or could be the start of the death of your head unit or amp. Being that it doesn't matter which type of music you are listening to, I'd say it's your amp.

Most likely the AMP. Too much resistance or impedence causing speakers to cut out with higher bass??? Do you listen to hip hop/r&b?

Here's a nice TSB on Lexus Audio and some things to check if you are handy.

You may take this opportunity to upgrade your ML system if you need to replace anything. Lots of great info on the forum for doing that.

Test your speakers (front, back, all left, all right). Also mess with your mute button (bottom button on side of the steering wheel) there was an interesting post on here a while ago about that.

Other than these DIY checks, it may be a trip to Car Toys, Best Buy or the dealership for you...sorry. Lots of great used parts on eBay too for DIY fixes.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
AU001-06.pdf (81.5 KB, 267 views)
Old 04-24-11, 09:54 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Originally Posted by Harold57
Maybe your amp (subwoofer amp) is going out. It may shut off if it overheats (speculation) and if it has a problem, it may be shutting down when only driven at a 0 setting. If you are still under warranty, I suggest bringing it in to the dealer.
I thought of that afterwards,but didn't get a chance to ask if he was sure it was skipping or actually cutting out on certain notes.I don't consider myself a professional by any means,but have installed alot of stereo systems over the years from mild to very wild. All the suggestions are good and might give you a starting point...if you do find the problem,let us know