SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

2002 SC430 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 10:15 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by jzwu
Did you run Carfax and AutoCheck reports to see the car's history? Tranny replacement at 80k miles is very uncommon for a Lexus, let alone a SC430. That suggests abuse or a big quality issue.

I would look closely at the car (third party inspection) and its history before going forward. Dealer dropping price from $17k to $14k is not a good sign to me.

You are not in a rush for such a "good" deal.
Yup, carfax was pretty boring with nothing bad showing up.
There was pretty much only one owner and the guy ONLY used Lexus for everything because after the regular warranty expired he extended it with Lexus. The guy even took in his own oil for oil changes at Lexus.
Trans seemed to have started slipping and then eventually wouldn't shift. so Lexus ended up changing it out.
Old 04-27-11, 07:03 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Alrighty! Bought the SC!
I'll try to post up pics as soon as I can.
But had one question at the moment. Do you folks think it'd be fairly safe for my wife to drive the car around for a week or two before doing the timing belt or should we rush and get the belt done ASAP given that car has 85k on it?
Thanks!
Old 04-28-11, 02:17 PM
Sapherynth
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Alrighty! Bought the SC!
I'll try to post up pics as soon as I can.
But had one question at the moment. Do you folks think it'd be fairly safe for my wife to drive the car around for a week or two before doing the timing belt or should we rush and get the belt done ASAP given that car has 85k on it?
Thanks!
Yay! Congrats ! As long as she doesn't plan on breaking any land speed records and since you live in HI, I figure she isn't planing a cross country road trip either so IMO the belt should be ok. You also want to find out if there is anything else that needs to be looked at.
Old 04-28-11, 07:36 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Sapherynth
Yay! Congrats ! As long as she doesn't plan on breaking any land speed records and since you live in HI, I figure she isn't planing a cross country road trip either so IMO the belt should be ok. You also want to find out if there is anything else that needs to be looked at.
Thanks.
As we're driving the car finding out some things that will need changing and also rattles.
The most immediate other than the timing belt is probably the shocks. Seems to be a little mushy all around and there's this rattling sound coming from the right rear trunk/interior area.
Old 04-30-11, 09:50 PM
wbrewster
Driver School Candidate

I recently bought an 02 w/108K miles. It had great service over it's life including a timing belt at 97K. The car runs perfectly and I can't imagine how it could perform any better. I had the hood and front bumper repainted. I am having the 3M clear protection film installed in 2 weeks (need the paint to cure). I also bought a gizmo that adds 2 "aux" inputs to the radio so I have XM and iPod now. Really works great. Also had all 4 wheels straightened (the car has 06 IS250 chrome wheels which look great). Changed to non-runflat tires and bought a spare. In summary, the build quality on these cars is amazing so I expect it to have a long life. I did buy a very, very expensive 3rd party warranty (2 years/25k miles) that covers most everything. I actually hope my transmission and engine go out so I can have the big stuff replaced!! Good luck to you..... you will love the car!!!
Old 04-30-11, 10:38 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by wbrewster
I recently bought an 02 w/108K miles. It had great service over it's life including a timing belt at 97K. The car runs perfectly and I can't imagine how it could perform any better. I had the hood and front bumper repainted. I am having the 3M clear protection film installed in 2 weeks (need the paint to cure). I also bought a gizmo that adds 2 "aux" inputs to the radio so I have XM and iPod now. Really works great. Also had all 4 wheels straightened (the car has 06 IS250 chrome wheels which look great). Changed to non-runflat tires and bought a spare. In summary, the build quality on these cars is amazing so I expect it to have a long life. I did buy a very, very expensive 3rd party warranty (2 years/25k miles) that covers most everything. I actually hope my transmission and engine go out so I can have the big stuff replaced!! Good luck to you..... you will love the car!!!
Glad you're enjoying your car.
Honestly, I think I have to get used to this car.
The more I tinker with it the more I'm just not feeling too much love for it right now.
The idle is kinda weird, seems to idle a bit too high but not sure if 750 rpm is normal. Did a search and didn't come up with much. But seems kinda high.
Also, the trans seems to rev a bit when I'm accelerating from a stop. Doesn't seem to be in sync with how fast the car is moving. Hope the trans isn't crapping out on me. But it does shift very smoothly.
And the suspension definitely needs to be changed.
The previous owner did a lot of work and seemed to be very finicky but I don't think he/she could tell much about how the car drove, good or bad. They were more concerned about noises and things that broke down.
The run flats are pretty brutal. Probably need to change them soon.
I just changed the cabin filter which looked like it had never been changed.
Got the car tinted which makes a nice difference in the way the car looks and really cools down the interior.
The next big upgrades will be coilovers, adapters, and the timing belt job.
Old 05-01-11, 05:23 AM
Poqman
Lead Lap

Received 23 Likes on 12 Posts

The idle is kinda weird, seems to idle a bit too high but not sure if 750 rpm is normal. Did a search and didn't come up with much. But seems kinda high.
Do a search on cleaning the mass air flow sensor and cleaning the throttle body. Then disconnect the battery for a half hour. This cured my idle problems.
Old 05-01-11, 08:15 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Originally Posted by rennwerkes
Glad you're enjoying your car.
Honestly, I think I have to get used to this car.
The more I tinker with it the more I'm just not feeling too much love for it right now.
Also, the trans seems to rev a bit when I'm accelerating from a stop. Doesn't seem to be in sync with how fast the car is moving. Hope the trans isn't crapping out on me. But it does shift very smoothly.
And the suspension definitely needs to be changed.
The previous owner did a lot of work and seemed to be very finicky but I don't think he/she could tell much about how the car drove, good or bad. They were more concerned about noises and things that broke down.
The run flats are pretty brutal. Probably need to change them soon.
I just changed the cabin filter which looked like it had never been changed.
Got the car tinted which makes a nice difference in the way the car looks and really cools down the interior.
The next big upgrades will be coilovers, adapters, and the timing belt job.
Try the ECU reset and tell us how you feel after that.
Old 05-01-11, 11:06 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by Poqman
Do a search on cleaning the mass air flow sensor and cleaning the throttle body. Then disconnect the battery for a half hour. This cured my idle problems.
Roger that!
Was going to do that today.
Thanks!
Old 05-01-11, 11:13 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Try the ECU reset and tell us how you feel after that.
Did a search and most were suggesting that the battery be disconnected.
But there was another post:

If you want to reset the ECU without losing your seat and stereo settings, perform the following procedure:

1. Get in your car and insert key. (It doesn't matter if you close the door or not.)

2. Turn the key to the on (not start) position.

3. Press the gas pedal to the floor.

4. Hold the pedal to the floor for five seconds, then turn the key back to the "off" position (don't remove the key), then release the gas pedal.

5. Wait 2 minutes.

6. Remove key.

7. Done

Yes it works. Done it many times. Works on all years, 2002-2009.

VERY interesting! This is how I used to reset my Mercedes' trans also!
Thanks again!
Old 05-04-11, 08:58 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Did the battery disconnect.
Also cleaned maf. Very dirty. But ultimately no difference I can feel.
Going to service trans this weekend. Will see how that goes
Old 05-04-11, 09:21 PM
DiscoSC430
Driver School Candidate

I just bought a 2002 SC430 at an Estate Auction for 13,100. HAs 93,00 miles on it, gargage kept. CArfax came back clean... 2 owners, no wrecks, etc. CArfax was a 92 which was above avg. also. Took it to the Lexus dealer for a check. Came out smelling like a rose. He told me I stole the car. Good luck with your purchase. Thay are alot of FUN to drive.!!