2002 SC430 Buying Advice

Search this Thread

Old 04-24-11, 10:29 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default 2002 SC430 Buying Advice

Okay, here goes, my first post!
I've been lurking the past few days and reading up as much as I could.
Here's my situation, Have always been a Mercedes, BMW, and Porsche owner.
But a nice (more like decent) 02 has popped up. Reasonably priced (from what I can tell) at $17k with flexibility. 85k on the odo. FULL maintenance documentation from Lexus. Only two owners.
Tested the stereo, no noise that I can tell from bad drivers. Top goes up and down perfectly. The only bad I can tell is the previous owner wasn't the best driver. Three out of four corners of the car have slight scuffing. Rear leather headrests have leather pulling away a bit. Figure I can have those recovered.
The car will be mainly used by my wife and parked in the sun all day.
She'll be going from a Mercedes CLK to this. The SC seems to be a neat and fun car and from what I can tell from most folks here, fairly trouble free.
Anyone wanting to push me to buy this car or play devil's advocate?
Any advice either way is always appreciated.
Thanks!
P.S. from what I can tell, the folks on this forum seem to be a bunch of nice folks. There are so many on other forums that, shall we say, can make things mighty unpleasant!
Old 04-25-11, 02:26 AM
srqmark
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Welcome! This forum is awesome... I have spent many hours on here reading.

I purchased my 03 SC430 in November, here are some things I learned before I bought mine:

Timing Belt, has it been changed? Was that included in the full maintenance? If not, then it is past due for it to be replaced, looking at a repair bill of about $1,000 - $1,500 to have it changed with the water pump, seals, idler pulley, and tensioner pulley.

As for the scuffs, I had that on my 03 as well. Scuffs and little scratches everywhere. I just finished a complete clay bar and detail, and she shines like a mirror.

I am sure other more knowledgeable members will chime in here with some things I may not be thinking about, but the timing belt was the big item that needed to be done as soon as possible.

This is the best Lexus forum and members here to ask questions of.

Good luck!
Old 04-25-11, 08:35 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

yea if you have all the maint records and the timing belt is done (maybe even spark plugs) then its pretty safe. I dont know why the rear headrests would be worn...ive never even had someone in my back seats lol, have a mechanic look at it maybe at toyota? that will give you peace of mind.
Old 04-25-11, 10:11 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 6 Posts

These cars are super reliable, but I would not let my wife drive a 10 year old car with 85K miles. The idea of her breaking down in an expensive looking car, not good. I have had 0 mechanical problems with my 03, but the wife drives cars under 5 years old.
Old 04-25-11, 10:41 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

yea but with triple A i wouldnt be too worried if her car brakes down (which i doubt it will for some time) have the tow truck take the car to toyota.

They are more than capable of working on it and it will cost alot less than lexus, or just buy a 3rd party warranty. Some people dont believe in them but if you need peace of mind then why not?
Old 04-25-11, 11:24 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
These cars are super reliable, but I would not let my wife drive a 10 year old car with 85K miles. The idea of her breaking down in an expensive looking car, not good. I have had 0 mechanical problems with my 03, but the wife drives cars under 5 years old.
Nah, not a problem.
If the car breaks down, it was meant to be and I'd look for another wife/girlfriend!
Just kidding.
I'm in Honolulu. We're never very far away from help. Plus, we've got AAA. So no worries.
Old 04-25-11, 12:18 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Break down....I'm not sure what that mean on the sc430, but I take that as "the top doesn't work", "flat tire", "battery dead",..... I haven't heard one case where the sc430 break down. <---if there's one, please let me know, I WANT TO KNOW!!

Your wife will love the sc430 for sure. Its comfort, quiet, and easy to drive. It doesn't have the stiff suspension that most women hate!!
Old 04-25-11, 02:27 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 411 Likes on 360 Posts

For a good run down of what to look for, read scdroptop's sticky at the top of the SC430forum's home. I have an '02 also and have been driving it for 5 years now and don't expect any trouble from it. Since you have full maintenance records on it, you can tell what has already been done and what may need to be done from the thread I just mentioned.

One thing to be aware of will be if the previous owners kept it out in the sun all the time and when you keep it out there also. The sun has not been friendly to the seals on the SC430, so in a couple of years it may develop some leaks.

Welcome to the forum.
Old 04-25-11, 06:32 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Good advice above...not much I can add. If you have full maint records the 02 SHOULD have timing belt done by now based on months and you should have had at least one or both of the 30k and 60k services done...sometimes it's not grouped like that (unless it's all from Lexus) and you'll see tranny flush, rear diff flush, coolant flush, etc.

The bumpers wouldn't concern me too much. Many of us (and millions of others) have had bumpers touched up and hoods for rock chips. In some cases-do a search for scratches, owners have had great luck BY HAND or machine buffing out with great products like Scratch-X, 3M rubbing compound, Zaino and others. The rule of thumb is if you can lightly rub your finger nail over the scratch and it gets stuck...then it may be paint work time. I'd try everything to avoid paint. I was keyed recently and was able to get the key mark out 99% by hand.

As far as the CLK versus SC430 goes, they are a different type of car altogether. The CLK is a smaller platform and isn't as wide. I think you would like the handling of the SC a little better. It may have run flats, so please excuse the harsh ride. We have something for that: runflatectomy

The SC will probably seem heavier but definitely more powerful (unless she had a CLK55 AMG) and to me there is NO comparison with the fit/finish and luxury of a Lexus compared to any German car. I'm a sucker for German performance, looks but I just cannot learn to like the interiors versus Japanese luxury. Maybe you'll agree.

Sounds like a good price for the car, you might be able to get more off if it needs the timing belt done, needs new tires, etc.

I'd get some sun protection for it-Zaino or Gloss-It make some great UV protection products. Keep it waxed frequently. You may want to consider this...a SC430 car cover:

Here's a genuine OEM SC430 car cover: http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/GENUI...Q5fAccessories

Also you can easily have the leather touched up/repaired at local Lexus dealer OR at upholstery shop. Good luck! Keep us posted and please post some pics when you buy!

You'll love the car. It's a fantastic automobile. You will not be disappointed. Very few ever are...and if they are, it only lasts as long as they keep the run flat tires on!

Read this:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ned-sc430.html
Old 04-25-11, 07:43 PM
scdroptop

Maybe this will sum it up for you...a guy by the name of JD thought pretty highly of this car! Also broke the record (still holds it) for the number of problems per 100 cars (44) in 2004. Not only did the car start GREAT in 2002, but it finished strong too...earning top ratings in dependability just about every year.

http://www.jdpower.com/autos/Lexus/S...tible/ratings/

Last edited by scdroptop; 04-25-11 at 07:55 PM.
Old 04-26-11, 12:23 AM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Folks, thanks for the kind advice.
Looks like I've got all I need to make an informed decision.
I'll post the results.
Thanks again!
Old 04-26-11, 07:14 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Alrighty, here's an update.
Dealer offered car to me at $14k. I'd say that's a fair price.
BUT, here's what shows up on the service history.
Trans was replaced last year. Damn! I thought these cars are bullet proof! LOL! Regardless, have a new trans.
Other than that most of the problems have been small but irritating things. A/C servo motor, radio ***** and switches, trunk shocks, roof switches, etc.
Is this typical?
Should I get an extended warranty from Lexus? I usually don't but I don't know these cars.
I'm about ready to pull the plug.
Old 04-26-11, 08:00 PM
scdroptop

A/C Servo motor? Not sure what that is. Radio ***** not really common, but not a big deal. Trunk shocks very common, not a big deal either. Roof switches?

Was the tranny replaced by a lexus dealer? What is their warranty on the work?

Yes, you can buy Lexus extended warranty, but I seriously doubt they would offer a warranty on this old/mileage car. Is this a lexus dealer you are working with?

$14k is a good price, but I'd stay away if the transmission was not done at a Lexus dealer and the work is not covered under warranty anmore. If you are dealing with a lexus dealer, have them sell you a 3 year/100k warranty and you'll be fine.

I've never heard of a transmission needing replaced on a SC430. Transmission mounts, yes, but not the entire transmission.
Old 04-26-11, 08:08 PM
rennwerkes
Rookie

Originally Posted by scdroptop
A/C Servo motor? Not sure what that is. Radio ***** not really common, but not a big deal. Trunk shocks very common, not a big deal either. Roof switches?

Was the tranny replaced by a lexus dealer? What is their warranty on the work?

Yes, you can buy Lexus extended warranty, but I seriously doubt they would offer a warranty on this old/mileage car. Is this a lexus dealer you are working with?

$14k is a good price, but I'd stay away if the transmission was not done at a Lexus dealer and the work is not covered under warranty anmore. If you are dealing with a lexus dealer, have them sell you a 3 year/100k warranty and you'll be fine.

I've never heard of a transmission needing replaced on a SC430. Transmission mounts, yes, but not the entire transmission.
About to run out the door but in regards to the trans, it was done at Lexus. I'm also working with a Lexus dealership.
Old 04-26-11, 08:31 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Did you run Carfax and AutoCheck reports to see the car's history? Tranny replacement at 80k miles is very uncommon for a Lexus, let alone a SC430. That suggests abuse or a big quality issue.

I would look closely at the car (third party inspection) and its history before going forward. Dealer dropping price from $17k to $14k is not a good sign to me.

You are not in a rush for such a "good" deal.

Quick Reply: 2002 SC430 Buying Advice