Advice on tyres for UK Spec vehicle

Search this Thread

Old 04-26-11, 02:23 AM
ser67
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Advice on tyres for UK Spec vehicle

Hi Everyone

I need some advice on tyres for my SC430 - which is a UK spec vehicle so I am aware it may have a slightly setup than the US ones.

If it helps, the vehicle was registered as new in Feb 2002, and has not had the suspension modifications that were done after initial release in the UK back in '02/'03

The tyres I have on at the moment, are a mixture of RFT and non-RFT and the ride - whilst perfectly stable at all speeds - does jar through bumps and pot-holes.

I'm just planning ahead for a change of all four within the next couple of months, and what I require is a tyre that is

1 - Good in the wet
2 - Long lasting
3 - Quiet
4 - Compliant/Soft sidewalls to absorb the bumps that the suspension cant

In the past - with other vehicles - I've always gone with the crowd and purchased premium branded tyres.

My SC will not be used as a performance vehicle, more as a daily runabout - going to work, picking up the shopping etc..

But I'm on a budget with this vehicle, and would like to explore some of the other options from drivers experiences here on makes I've never used or heard of before (Cooper, Accelera, Hankook, Kumho etc....)

Hopefully I'll get a better response here, than I've had elsewhere.

Many thanks
Shaun

Last edited by ser67; 04-26-11 at 02:26 AM.
Old 04-26-11, 07:14 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I run Hankook Ventus V12 on both my cars- the only problem with them (not really a problem for me) seems like something you want which is a soft sidewall. I love the tires. Ive also used BF Goodwrench Gforce tires which were awesome for handeling but a little bit loud.

Does it get cold or snow where you live? If so youll need either an all season tire or simply have to swap to snow tires in the winter. If you are swapping to snow then I would think you would be fine running summer tires for max performance and diving on wet roads.

There are "better" and more expensive tires out there like Contis and Michelin Pilots but for the money Hankooks have been my choice thus far (just make sure its the Ventus V12, they make other cheaper models I believe).
Old 04-26-11, 07:16 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

i just put on in nov, 2010 all 4 corners Continental Extrems Contact DWS. i find them to be a very good tire for the money.
Old 04-26-11, 08:55 AM
ser67
Rookie

I've heard a few good reports on the Hankooks, but TBH it snows for about 3 days a year - if you're lucky - here in the UK.

Winter temperatures never really get that extreme, compared to the rest of Europe - and we don't usually put on winter tyres - again unlike other parts of Europe where its the law to change.

I like the sound of the soft sidewall, sounds like it may be what I'm after - is the V12 available as an 'all-season' tyre at all ?
Old 04-26-11, 10:23 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

There are also the Yokohama YK520 that come with a 50kmile warranty.
Old 04-26-11, 11:57 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Hankook Ventus HRII H405 is the all season i believe but i dont have experience with it. Read some reviews it might be the perfect balance for you.
Old 04-26-11, 12:51 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by ser67
Hi Everyone

I need some advice on tyres for my SC430 - which is a UK spec vehicle so I am aware it may have a slightly setup than the US ones.

If it helps, the vehicle was registered as new in Feb 2002, and has not had the suspension modifications that were done after initial release in the UK back in '02/'03

The tyres I have on at the moment, are a mixture of RFT and non-RFT and the ride - whilst perfectly stable at all speeds - does jar through bumps and pot-holes.

I'm just planning ahead for a change of all four within the next couple of months, and what I require is a tyre that is

1 - Good in the wet
2 - Long lasting
3 - Quiet
4 - Compliant/Soft sidewalls to absorb the bumps that the suspension cant

In the past - with other vehicles - I've always gone with the crowd and purchased premium branded tyres.

My SC will not be used as a performance vehicle, more as a daily runabout - going to work, picking up the shopping etc..

But I'm on a budget with this vehicle, and would like to explore some of the other options from drivers experiences here on makes I've never used or heard of before (Cooper, Accelera, Hankook, Kumho etc....)

Hopefully I'll get a better response here, than I've had elsewhere.

Many thanks
Shaun
Hi Shaun
Welcome to the forum, you are probably the nearest person to me on here!!

I changed my wheels to 19's and low profile tyres, but the ride is far superior to RFT's even with a very small sidewall. My tyres are Avon ZZ3's and they are quiet (compared with RFT) and good in the wet. I also love the tread pattern. Can't tell you about how long they will last as they have only been on for about 1000 miles.

Best regards
Steve
Old 04-26-11, 01:13 PM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Toyo Proxes C1S FTW!
Old 04-28-11, 03:30 AM
ser67
Rookie

What about Kumho tyres ?

Any experience out there - with my parameters ??