Search this Thread

Old 04-27-11, 05:30 AM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Here's what I found when searching:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-be-done.html

Can someone clear something up for me? Within that thread, there's 2 sets of instructions on how to program it - which one is correct?? Post 1 or Post 23.

OR

Originally Posted by JohnMD
After lots of tries (and failures) using the directions on the Forum, I contacted East Coast Locksmiths. Tami provided me with directions that were similar to those posted on the Forum, but a bit different than the ones I used. She said that, for some reason, people had problems successfully programming keys for this car. Might be timing?? Mine is a 2002 that was built in August of 2002 -- one of the last ones for that year. So, at least for this car, the dealer didn't block out key programming.

The directions follow.

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

Timing may be important. I did the key on and off to the count of 1 Mississippi, 2 Mississippi said in regular speach -- or just about on the second. Then switched keys in 3-5 seconds. Then opened the door to the same beat.

The Security light flashed for about a minute and then went out. I then hit the brake once -- proably within 3-5 seconds of the light going out.

Then started the car with the newly programmed valet key. I assume the same thing would program a new master key. Question? Can you have more than one master key? If so I may buy one and try again. Hate to lose or break the master from what I hear.
Huy,
You can always take it to Davenport Motors like I did and they charged me $30 I believe and washed my car! I was afraid I might mess something up so $30 to me was insurance. I bought the key off fleabay for $11.99.
Old 04-27-11, 06:24 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I've got two master keys, my valet key and the emergency key....am I good?
YOur good to go Dereck
Old 04-27-11, 06:35 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
The SC accepts no more than four keys. Typically those are two regular keys, one valet key and one wallet/credit card key, but it can be any combination so long as one key is a "master" key. The valet key is NOT a master key the other two type are master keys. If you try to add a fifth key the FIFO rule applies.

I used my wallet key in the imbolizer. Then I bought another new master on ebay I programed the new master key So I now have 3 masters fully programed for transponder and remote one valet programed transponder only and one wallet [ transponder in the imbolizier box ] if you count this up I have

3 fully programed masters [ 2 came with car one from ebay = 3 programed
1 valet [ transponder only ]
1 wallet transponder [ hidden in imbolizer box ]

I think the four keys refers to 4 fully remote programing keys [ chip and fob buttons ] It must allow for 5 transponder programing because i have 5 transponder chip programed as stated above , All the masters work as well as the valet key work and also the wallet chip in the imbolizer box

Last edited by mrblister; 04-28-11 at 09:16 AM.
Old 04-27-11, 07:52 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I'm guessing something like this will work for the immobolizer (key and chip with no remote)? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_555wt_1084
Old 04-27-11, 08:45 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Yes and I might go as far as cutting off the portion you'd insert into the lock. Don't get me wrong, if someone really wants to steal the car, it's gone. But why make it easier? If a thief knows how the device works, that is there's a key hidden inside they'd could use it to steal the car. Without the "blade" of the key to insert into the lock, a thief would have to resort to other means to take it.

BTW I mistyped before, so to clarify; there are two systems working in concert for security purposes of the car. The theft deterrent consists of the door locking system and engine immobilizer system. According to the FSM the door control system: "If the number of registered codes exceeds 4, previously registered codes will be correspondingly erased in order, starting from the first registered code (FIFO)." But the FSM also says this about the engine immobilizer system "it is possible to register up to 5 master key codes and 3 sub key codes."
Old 04-27-11, 10:39 AM
darnot10
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
I'm guessing something like this will work for the immobolizer (key and chip with no remote)? http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2004-...#ht_555wt_1084
That's exactly what I got as an insurance policy if the wife lost the only master key we have. I had them program it as a 'master' even though it doesn't have the remote buttons on it.
dnot
Old 04-27-11, 10:59 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Thanks, I should probably buy two then. One for the LuxLink and one just for a spare. I currently only have one key If the programming above works, then hopefully I just need the spare to be cut.
Old 04-27-11, 06:53 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
YOur good to go Dereck
Hi blister,

Sorry to be asking but this whole key thingy has me some what confused.

I have two Master Keys, nothing else.

So do I need a donor key for the LuxLink or can the LuxLink function without any key hidden on the car?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 04-27-11, 07:31 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi blister,

Sorry to be asking but this whole key thingy has me some what confused.

I have two Master Keys, nothing else.

So do I need a donor key for the LuxLink or can the LuxLink function without any key hidden on the car?

Thanks in advance,

Jerry Baumchen

Hi Jerry read the thread. You will need to place a transponder chip inside of the imobilizer box. The car needs to see a transponder chip when you go to start it. If you use your key to start the car then the car sees the transponder chip inside the key you insert in the ignition lock. In order for the lux link remote start to work the ignition still needs to see a transponder but since you are by-passing turning the ignition switch the hidden iumbolizer box needs to have a transponder chip placed inside, That transponder can be a sacrificial key that you have programed just for the chip. Does not have to be a remote key. The best thing to use is the chip that was in the flat wallet emrgency key holder. You just cut the wallet in half to make it smaller and then that goes inside the imbolizer box. If you dont have the wallet holder with a programed chip. You can use a valet key or some other key, If you do use an actual key that has the chip in it then i would saw off the key so the only thing in the imbolizer box is the chip. More secure to not leave a loose working key in the car. The car is only looking for the transponder signal when you try to strart the car with the luxlink. \There are a lot of data about the luxlink search the threads. Good luck Buddy. Its really a straight forward install you just have to read the instructions and steve can help you if necc.
Old 04-29-11, 09:02 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mrblister
Hi Jerry read the thread. You will need to place a transponder chip inside of the imobilizer box. The car needs to see a transponder chip when you go to start it. If you use your key to start the car then the car sees the transponder chip inside the key you insert in the ignition lock. In order for the lux link remote start to work the ignition still needs to see a transponder but since you are by-passing turning the ignition switch the hidden iumbolizer box needs to have a transponder chip placed inside, That transponder can be a sacrificial key that you have programed just for the chip. Does not have to be a remote key. The best thing to use is the chip that was in the flat wallet emrgency key holder. You just cut the wallet in half to make it smaller and then that goes inside the imbolizer box. If you dont have the wallet holder with a programed chip. You can use a valet key or some other key, If you do use an actual key that has the chip in it then i would saw off the key so the only thing in the imbolizer box is the chip. More secure to not leave a loose working key in the car. The car is only looking for the transponder signal when you try to strart the car with the luxlink. \There are a lot of data about the luxlink search the threads. Good luck Buddy. Its really a straight forward install you just have to read the instructions and steve can help you if necc.
Hi blister,

First, thanks for your input.

And Habious: Thanks for your input, also.

I contacted two dealerships about the various keys for our cars & received two completely different answers.

I then called Steve at Lux Motors and he said that as long as one does NOT want the remote start, then one does not have to have a key donated to the car. Everything else will work as normal. Just in case any of you wanted that little tid-bit of info.

He also said that he has received 34 checks for the new LuxLink kits.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 04-30-11, 08:25 AM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Jerry

Thanks for the updated info...
Old 05-10-11, 04:35 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

which ebay item did you purchase for the key, can you basically use any key? I like the flip out keys like VW and was thinking about buying one of those, if I do then I can just pop one of my old keys in the imobilizer. Which did you buy for 11.99. I think ill also go to Toyota or Lexus to have mine programed and avoid knocking out my master or something. But hey maybe ill get brave!
Old 05-11-11, 10:55 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

I bought one for a master spare and one for the LuxLink; I haven't programmed or cut them yet, so Im not sure if they work lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1221&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0343&viewitem=
Old 05-11-11, 01:50 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redliner8
I bought one for a master spare and one for the LuxLink; I haven't programmed or cut them yet, so Im not sure if they work lol

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...1221&viewitem=

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ws/eB...0343&viewitem=
Hi redliner,

Here is a suggestion that I got from Habious:

There are probably 15 or more different ways you could go about this.

But, if you care about my opinion on the easiest, cheapest, simplest way to go about it...here's my $.02.

Buy a replacement master key that matches your existing master key...they're all over eBay. (You used to be able to buy JUST the remote part...the guts...but I don't see any on there right now)

Take the remote part out of the new key...place it in your existing master key shell (because it's already cut).

Go through the steps and program the chip in it. (the chip is actually in the remote part, not in the key).

Once programmed, take the "new" (now programmed) remote out of the old shell, put the old remote back in the old shell.

Now, your original key is back to normal, and you have a programmed chip for the LuxLink.

This way, you don't have to go to a locksmith to get the new key "Laser cut" (which is friggin' expensive!!)

...and, you don't want a cut key anyway for the LuxLink, you JUST want the immobilzer disabler chip part.

If you buy a true Lexus-looking valet key, it's all one molded piece so, the only way you can program it is to have it Laser-cut first (remember, you have to put it in the ignition and be able to turn the ignition on and off several times).

This idea would save you ( anyone else ) some $$$$$.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 05-11-11, 02:08 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Awesome idea Jerry! I wouldn't have thought of that one on my own haha Thanks!

Quick Reply: Where to look for Luxlink hidden fob