SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Top-down cell phone options

Search this Thread

Old 09-03-02, 01:04 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Top-down cell phone options

Just thought I'd use this thread to collect some solutions for cell phone use & top down driving. Is there one that gives the least wind & road noise?

1. Is it even reasonable?
2. Headsets: boom vs. inline mic
3. Handsfree systems (mic placement)

Sorry, but "straight" is not an option (stay away from me when I'm on the road!).

As for the handsfree systems, I've seen some no-install systems where the mic clips to the rear-view mirror. I thought it would have less wind noise than a pillar-mounted one.

Lastly, for cell phone placement (at least for headset use), has anyone considered removing the cup holder & using the space as storage? A custom shop could put the top back on, so the flip-up still works (to hide stuff, and keep the console relatively seamless).
Old 09-03-02, 09:28 PM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Topless Phone

In my experience (1.5 years) with this car, I find these results.

At highway speeds, say above 50 or 60 mph, just don't bother to try -- it's not worth the trouble.

For driving around town, I have used both a headset with a mic, like a phone operator, or I use the phone with one hand the way God intended. Both of these work pretty well.

For top up use, I have recently been using a device that plugs into the lighter socket inside the center handrest and has a small speaker attached to it. The mic is on a cord that can clip to your shirt or clip to the visor. This works well except that you have to have the armrest up to hear the speaker, but it beats the alternatives, and you can easily move it to another car. It's too big to plug into the lighter socket in the ashtray.

I don't use the phone in the car all that much that I am going to spend any more time or money on accessories than I already have. I do wish that there were a standard type of connection so that we could take the phone of our choice and plug it into the car's system which would then charge the battery and allow use of a built in mic and built in speakers. But that would require different companies to agree to work together for the good of the customer.

Why does only one company make the game "Monopoly"?

Finally, I guess somebody who is really handy could convert the cup holder to storage space, but then where would you put your cup?

Last edited by tfischer; 09-03-02 at 09:28 PM.
Old 09-03-02, 10:04 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Received 11 Likes on 8 Posts
Default Re: Topless Phone

Originally posted by tfischer
I guess somebody who is really handy could convert the cup holder to storage space, but then where would you put your cup?
I know I didn't think this one out 100%, but then again there are the complaints that all SCs' cup holders suck, so no big loss.

However, I was thinking that it may be possible to convert the current holder into an "insert" to that space. It couldn't be any worse than the way it is now...

Last edited by antigeek; 09-03-02 at 10:04 PM.
Old 09-04-02, 12:23 AM
Knicksfan
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default On cell all day

As a cell phone fanatic - on the phone many hours/day....here is the scoop for me:

Hands free mount with speakerphone does not function at all - huge waste of money.

Headphone with "over ear pad" is better than "in ear" piece.

Boom mike is better than in line mike

High quality headset ($100 Plantronics) is better than $20 crappy headset - although the advantage is mainly for the listener - not you.

They can hear me better than I can hear them at high speed.

Verizon Wireless still stinks at any speed.

Good luck.

Last edited by Knicksfan; 09-04-02 at 12:23 AM.
Old 09-04-02, 10:00 AM
tfischer

Received 223 Likes on 164 Posts
Default Cup Holders

My cell phone (Star Tac) sits in one of the cupholder pretty nicely now, and I probably use it for that at least as often as I use it for a can of Bud, but, rather than do major surgery on the car, if your current cell phone (and we change these all the time) does not sit nicely in the cup holder, you could probably fashion something to allow the cupholder to hold your phone with less trouble than it would take to re-construct the cupholder itself into storage space.

Was that all one sentence?