SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

To Spacer or not to Spacer? That is the question...Opinions Needed!

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 03:36 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

talwang-thanks for the pics. Yeah, I would LOVE my wheels to look like that.

Currently my wheels closely resemble that of a G35 with 19's factory Ray's on it.

Remember, since I dropped my car I have had this issue. Before the drop, my 20's (besides looking like a 4x4) looked pretty flush.

Sorry for the bad pics. I will try to take better and repost. I double checked the wheel specs and my measurements and they are correct. 20 and 25mm offsets. 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 respectively.

Sounds like I should try the 5mm ichibas and re-use my hub centric rings then, right? The hub centric rings I bought were supposedly custom made for my wheels, but then again who knows Discount Tire could have been lying to me all this time for all my aftermarket wheels and this is why all of my last 5-6 cars with oversized wheels have wobbled! LOL
Old 05-02-11, 03:47 PM
scdroptop

Default Pics of my setup needing spacers...

Hopefully this helps you all advise more. I apologize, but the weather has been soooo crappy in Dallas the last couple of days! It was light enough this afternoon in the garage to take a better angled shot of the wheels. You can see clearly I have more room in the front than rear. I wonder if I should try 10mm in front and 5mm in rear??? Would I definitely need the stud based spacers then, or could I still do the ichiba slip ons???

BTW my old RPM 20" chrome wheels on my 2002 SC without a drop looked absolutely perfect like many of yours with spacers and like the pics talwang just posted. That's what I'm shooting for. The vette look--all the way flush.

here goes:

Once again thanks for your help!
Attached Thumbnails To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo2.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo3.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo4.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-photo5.jpg  

Last edited by scdroptop; 05-02-11 at 03:57 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 04:55 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

scdroptop, maybe your wheels look like this / \ after the drop? That would explain the gap. If I'm not mistaken, Megan LP has adjustable camber on the top mount, so maybe you could play with that if you haven't already.
Old 05-02-11, 05:47 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
talwang-thanks for the pics. Yeah, I would LOVE my wheels to look like that.

Currently my wheels closely resemble that of a G35 with 19's factory Ray's on it.

Remember, since I dropped my car I have had this issue. Before the drop, my 20's (besides looking like a 4x4) looked pretty flush.

Sorry for the bad pics. I will try to take better and repost. I double checked the wheel specs and my measurements and they are correct. 20 and 25mm offsets. 20x8.5 and 20x9.5 respectively.

Sounds like I should try the 5mm ichibas and re-use my hub centric rings then, right? The hub centric rings I bought were supposedly custom made for my wheels, but then again who knows Discount Tire could have been lying to me all this time for all my aftermarket wheels and this is why all of my last 5-6 cars with oversized wheels have wobbled! LOL
In most cases, the correct size of hubcentric rings for our SC430 running aftermarket wheels is 73.1mm to 60.1mm.
That is an inner diameter of 60.1mm and an outer diameter of 73.1mm.

If your car is lowered, the top of the wheels will tilt inward and therefore more negative camber.
That's reason it doesn't look as flush as before.
I think your car is lowered more than ssk's ( 1" lowered on Tein H springs), but the fitment shouldn't be off that much.

For comparison purpose, here are the pics of my setup at similar angle.

My front is equivelant to your front+2mm spacers fitmentwise.

However, it seems you need to add more than 2mm to look like my front setup for some reason.
Do you have the labels on the inner side of your rims to comfirm the specs?

Ask gottagitmines to go to yur car meet, so you can comfirm the fitment in person. lol

My rear is equivelant to your rear+7mm spacers fitmentwise.

Last edited by talwang; 05-02-11 at 05:52 PM.
Old 05-02-11, 05:47 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I am running the same size wheels on the front as you are and my car is also lowered with megans, the bottom of the front fender of my car is 26" to the ground, I am positive if I try to put spacers on the front it will rub when the wheel is turned, if yours is anywhere near 26" then I think you will rub too, I really wish i could put spacers on and move that wheel out a little bit, I know what your feeling I don't really like the look of it that much but I really love the look of the car lowered so I guess there has to be a trade off. Of course I would love somebody to do it and prove me wrong LOL!! BTW I have spacers on the back wheels but I don't have your staggered set up.
Old 05-02-11, 06:00 PM
talwang

Originally Posted by scrdstr
I am running the same size wheels on the front as you are and my car is also lowered with megans, the bottom of the front fender of my car is 26" to the ground, I am positive if I try to put spacers on the front it will rub when the wheel is turned, if yours is anywhere near 26" then I think you will rub too, I really wish i could put spacers on and move that wheel out a little bit, I know what your feeling I don't really like the look of it that much but I really love the look of the car lowered so I guess there has to be a trade off. Of course I would love somebody to do it and prove me wrong LOL!! BTW I have spacers on the back wheels but I don't have your staggered set up.
you are correct, that is why i need him to make sure of the front specs. 8.5" +20 is at the edge of tire rubbing. My front rubs on every dips, but it is getting less and less. wheel lining is eaten away by tires at where they meet each other. lol

does your front look like his since you both have the same specs?
Old 05-02-11, 06:39 PM
scdroptop

Wow, talwang either you have great intuition or you REALLY know your tire/wheel setup by just looking at pics!

I THOUGHT I knew my setup, but after deciphering the ADR website model #'s for each wheel and looking at my order from the mfg, it appears this is what I have:

Front:
ADR M CLASSIC 20X8.5 5X114.3 32 CHROME
Item # A4285051432C

Rear:
ADR M CLASSIC 5X114.3 35 CHROME
Item # A4295051435C

http://wheelsadr.com/model.php?brand...rsearch=Chrome

So I have 32 and 35 front and rear offsets, respectively. I know I have 245/35/20 tires in front and 285/30/20 in rear.

So with all that being said, do you still think 5mm tops on both with the hub centric rings I have that go with my wheels? Do you think I can go 10mm front and 5 rear? My front needs it more as you can tell.

Ichiba? 60.1 bore is what they say spec is too.

Like these:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICHIB...item4cf5be389c
Old 05-02-11, 06:42 PM
scdroptop

talwang-BTW your fronts look great! I understand completely about the drop causing the camber to change and I have adjusted it back as much as it will go on the rack during alignment, but still this is what happens when you drop.

If I can get my front more like yours and my rear a little better it would be perfect.

Man! Your garage floor is AWESOME!!!! What kind of epoxy is it? How did you get those awesome flakes in it? You've got to give us a tutorial on that! Yours and Solman's have to be the sweetest on CL!!!
Old 05-02-11, 07:20 PM
scdroptop

Yeah, I am wondering about the rubbing too...concerned that if I get too aggressive I will rub. I hated it when I first dropped and it rubbed.
Old 05-02-11, 08:00 PM
talwang

I started with oem wheels + spacers, borrowed a few sets of wheels from the G35 guys for testing fitment and then bought two set of aftermarket wheels for my sc.
I am not talent or anything.
It is just I've done lots of homework and have some direct experience on this car. That's it.

For 8.5" +32 and 9.5" +35, you can run up to 14mm spacers in the front and up to 17mm spacers in the rear.
I would recommend 10mm front and 15mm rear since those sizes are easier to find plus your will have less tire rubbing especially in the front.

Those wheel spacers from your link require you to replace the oem studs. <-- discounttire shops won't touch your wheel if they see wheel spacers of this type.
For 10mm, you have no choice. Some people say you can use wheel spacers up to 10mm without replacing the oem studs. You can try, but I wouldn't recommend that.

For 15mm, I would probably buy the ones that come with built in stubs. <-- discounttire shops would likely give you a break on this type of wheel spacers.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Ichib...Q5fAccessories

15mm front and 20mm rear combo is also a good choice if you are willing to do either a little fender work or run stretched tires.
However, you would consider that option only if you plan to get body kits in the future since body kits make your sc a little wider than stock body.

My garage floor is done by http://houstongaragefloors.com
They use Sherwin-Williams Industrial Line General Polymers.

I helped my friend to do the floor stain before.
It didn't last very long, so I decided to let the professional do the job for me.
Old 05-02-11, 08:53 PM
scdroptop

Great...thanks for the tips. I think the 10/15 combo which was your first gut instinct sounds the best for me. I'm not a risk taker...I would definitely pay someone to do my garage too---especially if it looks as good as yours!

Funny thing is my paint guy already told me he would use epoxy SW paint with the flecks in it and just told me to pick a color. Your tan with the gray/black specks looks awesome. So much better than dull gray. Plus, my house has that tan paint on it anyway, lol

So if I can just find the ichiba in both 10/15 with built in stubs that would be great. I do depend on DT a lot for my balance/rotate/air etc they are so close to my house and across the street from the mall, starbucks, home depot, etc so it's just easy to drop my car off and go do fun things.

Thanks again!!!!
Old 05-03-11, 09:07 AM
scrdstr
Rookie

Originally Posted by talwang
you are correct, that is why i need him to make sure of the front specs. 8.5" +20 is at the edge of tire rubbing. My front rubs on every dips, but it is getting less and less. wheel lining is eaten away by tires at where they meet each other. lol

does your front look like his since you both have the same specs?
yes my front looks very much like his (scdroptop) although with pics its hard to say for sure, mine however looks a bit lower in the front, the outside of the tire to the inside of the fender looks about the same. If I hit a really deep dip in the road when turning and going fairly fast mine will rub very slight, you can hardly hear it. My rears have spacers and are very close to the fender I can barely get my little finger between the fender and the tire but it doesn't rub at all.
Old 05-03-11, 11:20 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by scrdstr
yes my front looks very much like his (scdroptop) although with pics its hard to say for sure, mine however looks a bit lower in the front, the outside of the tire to the inside of the fender looks about the same. If I hit a really deep dip in the road when turning and going fairly fast mine will rub very slight, you can hardly hear it. My rears have spacers and are very close to the fender I can barely get my little finger between the fender and the tire but it doesn't rub at all.
scdroptop just confirmed his front is actually 20x8.5 +32, not 20x8.5 +20.
Maybe you can post up some pics, so we can compare.

what size of spacers do you use on the back wheels (20x8.5" +20)?

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Great...thanks for the tips. I think the 10/15 combo which was your first gut instinct sounds the best for me. I'm not a risk taker...I would definitely pay someone to do my garage too---especially if it looks as good as yours!

Funny thing is my paint guy already told me he would use epoxy SW paint with the flecks in it and just told me to pick a color. Your tan with the gray/black specks looks awesome. So much better than dull gray. Plus, my house has that tan paint on it anyway, lol

So if I can just find the ichiba in both 10/15 with built in stubs that would be great. I do depend on DT a lot for my balance/rotate/air etc they are so close to my house and across the street from the mall, starbucks, home depot, etc so it's just easy to drop my car off and go do fun things.

Thanks again!!!!
It is hard to find a 10mm(or less) wheel spacer that comes with built-in studs.
Kics does make one in 10mm, but the price is quite steep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KICS-...Q5fAccessories

BTW, you also need to check if open slots on the back side of your wheels have enough clearance when using this type of spacers.
15mm spacers are generally fine, but many wheels don't have slots that are deep enough for the remaining oem studs when using 10mm wheel spacers with pressed-in studs.
That is why you see this statement. "SOME WHEEL APPLICATIONS MAY REQUIRE MACHINING DOWN YOUR STOCK STUDS."
It is the main reason most companies only produce 10mm wheel spacers that require new extended studs.

Also check out these two ebay auctions, the sellers have explained most of the things you need to know about wheel spacers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICHIB...Q5fAccessories

To be safe, I suggest you buy one pair of 10mm spacers first, then try them on both in the front and rear to see how you and your yokohama tires like them before you buy the 15mm (or other size) set.
Old 05-03-11, 05:37 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

Originally Posted by talwang
scdroptop just confirmed his front is actually 20x8.5 +32, not 20x8.5 +20.
Maybe you can post up some pics, so we can compare.

what size of spacers do you use on the back wheels (20x8.5" +20)?

It is hard to find a 10mm(or less) wheel spacer that comes with built-in studs.
Kics does make one in 10mm, but the price is quite steep.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/KICS-...Q5fAccessories

BTW, you also need to check if open slots on the back side of your wheels have enough clearance when using this type of spacers.
15mm spacers are generally fine, but many wheels don't have slots that are deep enough for the remaining oem studs when using 10mm wheel spacers with pressed-in studs.
That is why you see this statement. "SOME WHEEL APPLICATIONS MAY REQUIRE MACHINING DOWN YOUR STOCK STUDS."
It is the main reason most companies only produce 10mm wheel spacers that require new extended studs.

Also check out these two ebay auctions, the sellers have explained most of the things you need to know about wheel spacers.

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/HUBCE...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/ICHIB...Q5fAccessories

To be safe, I suggest you buy one pair of 10mm spacers first, then try them on both in the front and rear to see how you and your yokohama tires like them before you buy the 15mm (or other size) set.
Ok here are some pics (I hope) spacers on my back wheels are 20mm
Attached Thumbnails To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-img_0328.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-img_0332.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-img_0338.jpg   To Spacer or not to Spacer?  That is the question...Opinions Needed!-img_0339.jpg  
Old 05-03-11, 05:59 PM
scrdstr
Rookie

My tire size is 235/35/20 wheel offset is 38mm

Quick Reply: To Spacer or not to Spacer? That is the question...Opinions Needed!