SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

time for an exhaust

Search this Thread

Old 05-02-11, 07:29 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default time for an exhaust

so i just had an oil change done and when they raised the car i took the time to check out the exhuast. it looked a bit rusted and those bend up pipes under the dif got to go. so i am taking it next week to my exhaust guy and i want to know whats the best set up. i was thinking. get ride of the bend up tubes but keep the resonators ( for back presuure) . run new tubes to 2 either magnaflow mufflers or cherry bomb vortex . and keep stock tips . what do you guys think? anyone here dont it like this?
Old 05-03-11, 04:53 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The stock exhaust is horrible, isnt it? What you described sounds good. IMO, I would also remove the third cat and run two tubes directly into the resonators. This way you'll have a true dual exhaust. I have a different set-up but I do have magnaflow and it sounds good...most people I know run magnaflow. I'm not familiar with cherry bomb.
Old 05-03-11, 05:52 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Redliner8,

I'm thinking of doing the same thing...do you have a sounds clip?
Old 05-03-11, 09:20 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

I'll take a video late next week...I'm currently having headers and high flow cats installed. I can't find a setup like the one mentioned, but Magnaflow or any aftermarket muffler will generally sound louder/deeper than stock, even if you don't do anything else.
Old 05-03-11, 11:53 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

yes sounds good if you can throw up a video or pics of the bottom. love to hear how it sounds.
Old 05-03-11, 06:42 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
I'll take a video late next week...I'm currently having headers and high flow cats installed. I can't find a setup like the one mentioned, but Magnaflow or any aftermarket muffler will generally sound louder/deeper than stock, even if you don't do anything else.
Which headers? PPE or S&S?
Old 05-03-11, 10:53 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

i heared a couple of diffrent exhaust sound and the cherrybomb glasspacks sound great . what do you guys think?
Old 05-04-11, 04:47 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by talwang
Which headers? PPE or S&S?
PPE headers

irokdastar, it's hard to say which is better since I can't compare them on an SC. Get whatever one you like best. Both, cherrybomb and magnaflow, are quality and have been in business for a while. Flowmaster is another name to consider.

Last edited by redliner8; 05-04-11 at 06:21 AM.
Old 05-04-11, 08:05 AM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by redliner8
PPE headers

irokdastar, it's hard to say which is better since I can't compare them on an SC. Get whatever one you like best. Both, cherrybomb and magnaflow, are quality and have been in business for a while. Flowmaster is another name to consider.
no i am talking about 2 diffrent exhuast cans. one is chamber exhaust and one is the glass pack. i just want to know what people think about it.
Old 05-04-11, 12:15 PM
bacardi
Lead Lap

irokdastar
i'm waiting to hear from Magnaflow about their system for are car. the part # 16917 its a cat back system with tips.

Just got a call from Magnaflow on a system for are cars. i was told we need to go on their site and keep requesting a system for are car by e-mail and then they will make it up and release it. they have the part for the system for are car # 16917 they will not release it till they get so many request for the system. if every one here put in a requset even it you don't want one they release one for our cars.

Last edited by bacardi; 05-04-11 at 01:25 PM.
Old 05-04-11, 09:15 PM
irokdastar
Pole Position

Originally Posted by bacardi
irokdastar
i'm waiting to hear from magnaflow about their system for are car. The part # 16917 its a cat back system with tips.

Just got a call from magnaflow on a system for are cars. I was told we need to go on their site and keep requesting a system for are car by e-mail and then they will make it up and release it. They have the part for the system for are car # 16917 they will not release it till they get so many request for the system. If every one here put in a requset even it you don't want one they release one for our cars.
whats the point just buy the muffler and have someone put it in. Even if they do come out with it they would want like 600 . But no one answered my questions what do you guys think. Should i do cherry bomb vortex which is a chamber exhaust or the straight glass packs?
Old 05-05-11, 07:10 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by irokdastar
Should i do cherry bomb vortex which is a chamber exhaust or the straight glass packs?
If you take out the stock muffler, you'll need to replace it with the Vortex because straight glass packs are resonators, not mufflers.

This should help you understand the difference between the two...it was taken from another forum:

"The way I understand it, all mufflers have some degree of resonator behavior in them, by virtue of being a constrained air mass in the body of the muffler with an entrance and exit of distinct diameter. Naturally, the muffler handles more tasks than just being a resonator, but those are the chief aspects that give it a mild resonator behavior. The muffler typically has more elaborate construction inside to achieve its primary tasks (internal baffles, channels, flow-paths, etc).

An actual "resonator" is mostly just a hollow shell with an entrance and exit (or maybe just a perforated, flow-through design) so that it can achieve a singular task of introducing a Hemholtz resonator effect in series or in parallel with the exhaust. Designs may vary across brands, but they generally are not built to fulfill the full application that a muffler does (muffling and high-temp durability of fresh exhaust). The case material is typically a thicker gauge material so as to ensure a stable tuning effect (think of it like a loudspeaker, where you want sturdy, non-flexing walls in the cabinet).

So what does the resonator effect do? It introduces an acoustic notch at a distinct frequency. The tuning of the resonator is important such that the notch frequency coincides right where the drone frequency of the exhaust system is. It cancels out that drone, so that you still get most of the sound of the exhaust system at other frequencies, w/o the drone frequency hammering you over the head when you cross a certain rpm.

Perhaps a chief functional difference between using a glasspack vs. using a resonator, is that the glasspack can serve as a mild resonator with some additional damping in effect by virtue of the glasspack media (hence, making the operation of the notch frequency a bit less pronounced, allowing a more "assertive" exhaust sound with some amount of drone getting through). The resonator is just a resonator with little or no damping. As the vids posted earlier demonstrate, the glasspacks also have their own distinctive sound (whether by the flexing of the glass media or just being a flow-through design that allows higher sound harmonics from the engine pass through, I dunno), with the rhythmic, high-pitched cracking sound."