SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-27-11, 02:08 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I figured if we can allow some fresh air in to the engine bay near the intake filter, it shoud help. I have seen somebody do this and I think it works. I removed and folded the rubber seal around the headlight thereby allowing a path of fresh air to bypass the radiator and go directly to the engine bay. See picture:
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-fresh-air.jpg  
Old 06-03-11, 12:12 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Got mine at last and fitted it yesterday. Love it.
I think it is a must to shape the engine cover around the pipe.
Easy with a good old fashioned half round file and a pencil.
Good tip for using masking tape to stop scratching the pipe, as I took it on and off about twenty times until I had a perfect fit. Can't remember who suggested that tip, but thanks whoever it was.
Mine is a 02 and like Bon doesn't have the OBD cannister (what is it?). Maybe it's not required in Europe!
I used the pipe supplied for it, cut it and plugged it under the engine cover because it looks better, I think.
Shame Injen don't supply new clamps, bit of a cop out for them.
Anyway, good 'bang for your buck' easy mod, thanks guys.

Best regards
Steve
Old 06-03-11, 02:56 PM
mandyfig

Injen probably thinks that clamps are not needed, betcha. But I would rather have them. I agree, they should have supplied them. Even if they are the cheap wire clamps.
Old 06-03-11, 02:57 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by WIL44
Got mine at last and fitted it yesterday. Love it.
I think it is a must to shape the engine cover around the pipe.
Easy with a good old fashioned half round file and a pencil.
Good tip for using masking tape to stop scratching the pipe, as I took it on and off about twenty times until I had a perfect fit. Can't remember who suggested that tip, but thanks whoever it was.
Mine is a 02 and like Bon doesn't have the OBD cannister (what is it?). Maybe it's not required in Europe!
I used the pipe supplied for it, cut it and plugged it under the engine cover because it looks better, I think.
Shame Injen don't supply new clamps, bit of a cop out for them.
Anyway, good 'bang for your buck' easy mod, thanks guys.

Best regards
Steve
Give us a review on the GROWL.
Old 06-04-11, 09:11 AM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Just installed mine. In case I'm not the only one who couldn't make much sense of the directions, I found this on their website. The pictures are much easier to make out.

http://www.injen.com/galleries/produ...directions.pdf
Old 06-04-11, 01:02 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Give us a review on the GROWL.
Well Mandy I am sure you know what is sounds like as you have just fitted yours.

Been driving it today with the top down and it's awesome. I have a fairly loud custom exhaust and this just makes it sound so much better. Floor the throttle in third from about 2,000 revs and it sounds like a jet, drop a cog at sixty and the car you are overtaking really knows you are coming.
Probably doesn't make a difference to lag, but it seems too.
As the other guys have said you just keep hitting the gas to hear it.
Great cheap mod, and it's amazing how much plastic you remove from the engine bay.
On the subject of cold air. Maybe I am wrong, but by removing the scoop for the old intake you are left with quite a large gap between the hood and the top of the rad so lots of cold air will enter the engine compartment without going through the rad (especially at speed). Maybe we can make a scoop to direct the air to the filter, no!!!

Best regards
Steve
Old 06-06-11, 01:23 AM
DJSPEC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I got a 2009 SC430 and I'm wondering if you folks know of any changes to the engine or air intake system in the 2009 year vs. the previous years. Thanks for input!
Old 06-06-11, 09:33 AM
mandyfig

I heard that the 2006 can use the Injen that we installed. I would assume the 2009 is the same as 2006 and therefore can use the Injen.

But I do wonder why they do specify the Injen for 2002~2004 only.

Anybody?
Old 06-06-11, 11:54 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

I read that it's because those are the only years that they have had direct experience with.
Old 06-06-11, 03:03 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
I heard that the 2006 can use the Injen that we installed. I would assume the 2009 is the same as 2006 and therefore can use the Injen.

But I do wonder why they do specify the Injen for 2002~2004 only.

Anybody?
Injen do lists their SC430 Short Ram Intake for 01-03 only...
I contacted them for my 2004 and they told me that they could not guaranty the fit on other years simply because they didn't try it.

But I believe it will actually fit ALL SC430 regardless of year.
Old 06-06-11, 04:13 PM
mandyfig

scdroptop can chime in. The engine did not change, hence should fit. But somebody who has 2006~2010 can attest.
Old 06-06-11, 06:16 PM
Bon
Advanced

If you look back at post #88 the pictures show a 2006 installation. Only one hose is used and the other port on the intake snorkel is plugged. Another option is to tee or "Y" the two intake ports together. No big deal.
Old 06-07-11, 12:36 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bon
If you look back at post #88 the pictures show a 2006 installation. Only one hose is used and the other port on the intake snorkel is plugged. Another option is to tee or "Y" the two intake ports together. No big deal.
Hi Bon
Mine is a 2002 and doesn't require the other hose (no OBD cannister) either. I ran the hose under the engine cover and plugged it there. Thought it looked better.
Can someone tell me what an OBD cannister is and why I haven't got one?

Best regards

Steve
Old 06-07-11, 03:04 PM
Bon
Advanced

I has to do with the gas tank vapors. They were sucked into the intake through this valve to be burned rather than vented. The "OBD" part is because the On Board Diagnostics monitors the proper operation of this function and generates codes if it's not working properly. Later Toyotas perform this function in a different way and don't use the OBD valve so there's no hose. I might be a little inaccurate here but that's all I know about it.
Old 06-08-11, 02:19 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Originally Posted by Bon
I has to do with the gas tank vapors. They were sucked into the intake through this valve to be burned rather than vented. The "OBD" part is because the On Board Diagnostics monitors the proper operation of this function and generates codes if it's not working properly. Later Toyotas perform this function in a different way and don't use the OBD valve so there's no hose. I might be a little inaccurate here but that's all I know about it.
That's great, thank you Bon.

Best regards
Steve

Quick Reply: Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me