SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-16-11, 02:47 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks guys. I have a few on my watch list for the Injen.

Question: Why Injen? Are they the leading of Short Ram Intake? How about Weapon R?
Old 05-16-11, 03:02 PM
mandyfig

Check this out:

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/WEAPO...Q5fAccessories

This is $129. What's the difference? The filter? What's required for the filter maintenance?
Old 05-16-11, 03:59 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Both Park Place and Sewell didn't want to install the Injen SR Intake for me, on to Davenport/JP Importz.

This doesn't void our factory warranty right? I also have the Platinum warranty through Lexus too..

Last edited by huy33; 05-16-11 at 04:08 PM.
Old 05-16-11, 07:12 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by huy33
Both Park Place and Sewell didn't want to install the Injen SR Intake for me, on to Davenport/JP Importz.

This doesn't void our factory warranty right? I also have the Platinum warranty through Lexus too..
I think there will be potential issues with warranty. Sucks but Lexus will use whatever it can to say that you have voided the warranty.
Old 05-16-11, 07:17 PM
mandyfig

How about these? Weapon R has 3 hoses though. These are all specified for the SC 430.
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-weapon-r.jpg   Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-weapon-r2.jpg  
Old 05-16-11, 07:18 PM
mandyfig

Sold at $129. What's the catch?
Old 05-16-11, 07:29 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
How about these? Weapon R has 3 hoses though. These are all specified for the SC 430.
I personally prefer the look of the Injen filter... The Weapon R is too "Mad Max-ish" for my taste. IMO, it doesn’t compliment the classy Lexus style.
Old 05-16-11, 08:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

I agree with scyul...the look is better on the Injen IMO. Mad Max is perfect! Looks like it belongs in Terminator 4 Rise Against the stock air filters! LOL Arnie needs the cash, maybe he'll "be back". I just installed the chrome heat shield to cover the ugly blue filter and it looks sweet! I'll post a pic tomm.

I bought the injen after hearing personal testimony here on the SC430 forum for years. Specifically AzKaty's husband Bob who had his on said it was amazing and made his car sound like a vette, was an easy install and looked great on his red car (at the time).

If someone had given me the same personal testimony for the Weapon or the Blitz (they make one too, Mandy) I would perhaps consider it. I trusted my friends here on CL so that's why I chose it.

So far Injen has definitely lived up to their easy install and great performance claims.

The sound is soooooo great I even got the attention of a young guy in a vette today who I surprised when I stomped on it next to him. He heard Ebony growl and asked me if I had custom exhaust and headers or it "chipped", I laughed and said it was mostly stock!

Huy-I'd be glad to help. It's really easy....seriously bro! Let me know when you get it.
Old 05-17-11, 05:11 AM
mandyfig

Done! Pulling the trigger NOW!
Old 05-17-11, 06:11 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

From what I read in other forums, Weapon-R products are usually not direct bolt-on (even if it says it is). Usually you need to tweak and customize it to make it work.

Huy33 - Don't pay someone to install it, it's extremely easy Take SCDropTop on the offer lol I replaced the intake on my Honda Accord when I was 16...The SC isn't much harder, you just need socket wrench extenders for $15 max

Last edited by redliner8; 05-17-11 at 06:25 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 08:58 AM
scdroptop

Default Heat Shield Intalled

Finally got the correct colored heat shield (different seller than the intake system) and installed it. Broke my original hose clamp by tightening too much so another trip to Home Depot for a $1.00 hose clamp! LOL

Tightening these works much better with a screwdriver than a ratchet if you can stand the # of turns. I get impatient and want to do it quickly breaking the nut or breaking the grooves that the clamp uses to tighten.

Here it is installed....
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-heatshield.jpg  
Old 05-17-11, 09:19 AM
mandyfig

Great set up!

I am trying to imagine how the heat shield works.

Somebody has done a fresh-cold air supply to the short RAM...that somebody please post pics or tell us how.
Old 05-17-11, 09:26 AM
scdroptop

Not to be a smart a$$ but wouldn't it just block the high engine heat on that side of the filter? See how I have it turned? I hope it's right, but I turned it towards the engine so it deflects the heat around the filter and the open side is sucking in air as the car moves.
Old 05-17-11, 09:36 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I've tried to fit the OEM air supply with the Injen so I could still get cold air, but was unsuccessful because it's too tight in there. It seems like most people who want to do it have fabricated something. Here's one example (although he didn't use Injen): https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ir-filter.html. Seems like too much work unless you have free time on your hands and the know-how to do it.

Here's an extreme example of one that is insulated: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...en-intake.html

Another: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-buster-2.html : https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...en-intake.html

Lexiss_sc430 has a modified set up but I haven't seen any pics

Last edited by redliner8; 05-17-11 at 10:17 AM.
Old 05-17-11, 10:44 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Not to be a smart a$$ but wouldn't it just block the high engine heat on that side of the filter? See how I have it turned? I hope it's right, but I turned it towards the engine so it deflects the heat around the filter and the open side is sucking in air as the car moves.

This type of heat shield only blocks some radiant heat from the engine… It does very little (read nothing) to direct cold air to the intake when stuck in traffic… If you’re not “ducted” to the front of the car, believe me, you won’t get much “cold air” from anywhere under the hood!!!

Last edited by scyul; 05-17-11 at 10:52 AM.

Quick Reply: Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me