SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-17-11, 11:01 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

scyul, do you have a cold air set up with your Injen? Could you take some pics?

I've been wondering the best/easiest way to do this for a while now.
Old 05-17-11, 11:47 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by Bon
I see that the Injen intakes are specified for 2001-2003. Does anybody know if there is something about the later SC models that is different such as the mass airflow sensor? I notice that all the GS430, LS430 and SC430 intakes are listed on their website for only '01-'03.
MAF is the same.

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Thanks guys. I have a few on my watch list for the Injen.

Question: Why Injen? Are they the leading of Short Ram Intake? How about Weapon R?
It depends on which weapon-r intake you want to buy, it could be more expensive than injen.
When I shop, I don't look at the sellers' misleading photos and prices only, I always check the part numbers.

Most members probably don't know that Weapon-R makes two different intakes for the SC430.
One costs almost 70% more than the other one.
I haven't seen anyone here bought the more expensive one yet.

http://www.eracingworks.com/Weapon-R...1-p-39001.html

http://www.eracingworks.com/Weapon-R...1-p-38272.html
Old 05-17-11, 11:49 AM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
From what I read in other forums, Weapon-R products are usually not direct bolt-on (even if it says it is). Usually you need to tweak and customize it to make it work.

I've never heard any sc430 member who had installed weapon-r reported that issue so far, but I do see weapon-r intake would give you less room for clearance there.

Originally Posted by scyul
This type of heat shield only blocks some radiant heat from the engine… It does very little (read nothing) to direct cold air to the intake when stuck in traffic… If you’re not “ducted” to the front of the car, believe me, you won’t get much “cold air” from anywhere under the hood!!!
I have the injen for sound effect only and add the heat shield to make it look nicer.
An added bonus is injen gives me more clearance to change bulbs, belt and etc.

If you are mainly looking for performance gain, don't buy it.
Old 05-17-11, 01:22 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by talwang

I have the injen for sound effect only and add the heat shield to make it look nicer.
An added bonus is injen gives me more clearance to change bulbs, belt and etc.

If you are mainly looking for performance gain, don't buy it.
I'm pretty skeptical about any performance gain. With the sheer volume of air the engine sucks in, it's going to pull air right around the "heat shield." I'll bet anything that the temperature will be exactly the same on both sides of the shield with air flow. I ordered one purely for the sound.
Old 05-17-11, 06:48 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
scyul, do you have a cold air set up with your Injen? Could you take some pics?

I've been wondering the best/easiest way to do this for a while now.
Mine is at post 22 on this thread... No cold air duct and no heat shield... Just the "naked" air filter.

As with Talwang and liquid SC, I bought mine only for the "sound effect".
Some prefer the look with the heat shield, and that's fine. But I don't see how it could improve the performance. And building a real cold air duct to the front of the car is IMO waaaaaay too much work if you ain't racing.
Old 05-17-11, 06:59 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Liquid SC
I'm pretty skeptical about any performance gain. With the sheer volume of air the engine sucks in, it's going to pull air right around the "heat shield." I'll bet anything that the temperature will be exactly the same on both sides of the shield with air flow. I ordered one purely for the sound.
I agree.... 100%
Don't buy this if you expect an abvious HP (or torque) gain.
You'll probably get better throttle response by driving around with an empty fuel tank (vs a full one, 200 lbs difference).
Old 05-19-11, 09:10 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

I bought the Injen for the growl that everybody's testified to.

As it is, I punch on the gas pedal to hear that little growl. At least with the Injen, the growl will heard better and maybe I will let up on the gas (doubt it).

Can not wait to free up space in there and get that Injen in place.

But 1st need to line up hose clamos!
Old 05-20-11, 11:34 AM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

mandy-sounds like a great saturday morning project! Do it and let us know, take some pics. Thanks! Good luck...yes, get the clamps at HD. I also bought a new large clamp for the heat shield one that broke when I tightened it too much Use a screwdriver not a ratchet.
Old 05-20-11, 11:39 AM
mandyfig

Hoping it comes in today! I am so ready. Like you, will be doing major cleaning before install.

Is it straight forward? What tubes go where? Did you have to shave the cover? Does it fit perfect?

Got my clamps, I got the 7/8" ones, will it do?
Old 05-20-11, 04:14 PM
mandyfig

Did not show up, bummer. Have to wait until next week.
Old 05-21-11, 10:34 AM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

A word of wisdom for anyone with a 2004+ SC that's going to fit the Injen. I don't know exactly when things changed but my 2006 doesn't have the hose - and maybe doesn't even have an OBD canister that the 2002-03 SC's do. This doesn't appear to be a big thing but you do have to plug the extra hole in the intake runner with something. I've put in a temporary plug but will be looking for something more permanent and suitable that can handle the under-hood heat. Otherwise all is well. I had to nick off more of the engine cover than I expected but it turned out really well and I'm happy. No codes were thrown yet but I haven't gone very far. It has yet to be determined if this mod has an acceptable WAF.
Old 05-21-11, 11:57 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by Bon
A word of wisdom for anyone with a 2004+ SC that's going to fit the Injen. I don't know exactly when things changed but my 2006 doesn't have the hose - and maybe doesn't even have an OBD canister that the 2002-03 SC's do. This doesn't appear to be a big thing but you do have to plug the extra hole in the intake runner with something. I've put in a temporary plug but will be looking for something more permanent and suitable that can handle the under-hood heat. Otherwise all is well. I had to nick off more of the engine cover than I expected but it turned out really well and I'm happy. No codes were thrown yet but I haven't gone very far. It has yet to be determined if this mod has an acceptable WAF.
Pics please? WAF?
Old 05-21-11, 02:29 PM
Bon
Advanced

(No that's not a through-hole in the plug.)

(Yup, I'm pretty pleased with the carving job.)

We took our first cruise to lunch and I purposely avoided goosing the engine so my wife wouldn't be surprised. I'll slowly let it growl a bit more as time goes on and see when she notices. I love the way I can choose when to let it bark but yet I don't have to deal with an exhaust drone when we're just cruising.

BTW: WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor
Old 05-21-11, 06:03 PM
scdroptop

Received 51 Likes on 22 Posts

Bon-great job installing! Great job too with the carving job. I'm very nervous to do that since I have a rare red engine cover. If you get the heat shield it's pretty easy to install and hides (IMO) the ugly blue cone.

The greatest joy of this mod is between 4500-6000rpms when you are in manual mode...especially second gear going up to 50mph or so...very nice!
Old 05-21-11, 06:24 PM
Bon
Advanced

Is everyone oiling their filter? I've found the Injen cleaner and oil (Protec charger kit) for around $17 delivered. I have some K&N filter oil on hand that I'm about to use.

Scdroptop, I understand your hesitation to dremmel your cover, especially your red one!

Quick Reply: Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me