SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-21-11, 07:39 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I didn't because it was already pretty greasy when I got it out. Where do you oil it?
Old 05-21-11, 08:14 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 23 Likes on 17 Posts

Filter oil is a spray. The Injen spray has a red tint to it so you can see when you have good coverage. Too llittle and the small stuff will get through the filter. Too much and the filter becomes too restrictive just like when it's dirty. I haven't used their cleaner but it's likely a soap solution that won't harm the cotton based filter media. You mix up some solution and agitate the filter until clean. You do have to let it dry out thoroughly before putting it back into service so do it when you have enough time.
Old 05-22-11, 06:05 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I didn't because it was already pretty greasy when I got it out. Where do you oil it?
Taken for the Injen wibsite (faq)...

How often you need to clean your filter will depend on the air and road conditions in your area. Most filters require cleaning before the dirt build up gets as thick as the wire mesh. The usual interval is 30,000 - 40,000 miles depending on driving conditions. We recommend that you check your filter about once a year in normal usage and once every six months if you are located in a dirty environment. If you are running with a cold air intake we recommend checking the filter every 10,000 or 15,000. Using a Hydro-Shield will reduce service intervals.

Hope this helps!
Old 05-22-11, 08:24 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

30,000-40,000 at the rate I drive will be in the year 2068! I'll be dead! LOL

I drove Ebony fairly spirited today and can definitely tell the heat shield cuts down on the noise. Not sure if I like that! For those of you who just recently installed without the heat shield let me know your thoughts after driving on a hot day or for a long time if you feel that power diminishes or torque. The whole reason why I did the heat shield is because of # 1 the look (chrome finishes out that ugly cone in the wrong color) and # 2 to cut down on the hot air entering in the filter from the engine. I guess a sacrafice is that you don't get as mean of a growl????

Anyone else with the heat shield can confirm?

It seems that from 3-5k it's not as loud, where as before without the shield it sounded louder in those bands. It's still great, and sounds like a Maserati or Vette (in lower bands, LOL) but not as loud as before.

Maybe it's me going cookoo?
Old 05-22-11, 11:39 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Can not wait for my install and so I can do the evaluation, too.

It will be WED before I can receive the Injen, he did not ship it as advertised, 2 days late.

Anyway for sure I will be working WED night to get it installed. I will have plenty of daylight to work with.
Old 05-23-11, 04:24 PM
mandyfig

So I decided to tear down the air box today in prep for the Injen. I have some questions. I am reading the Injen procedure and have not completely gotten it yet. I need your help. I am sure my concern is baseless.

See pics:
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-sc-1.jpg   Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-sc2.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 04:25 PM
mandyfig

So correct me if I am wrong, this black part (what is it called) is being held by a bolt and the hose bracket right?

I need to disconnect everything attached to this thing, right?
Old 05-23-11, 05:25 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
So correct me if I am wrong, this black part (what is it called) is being held by a bolt and the hose bracket right?

I need to disconnect everything attached to this thing, right?
Yes....

The smallest hose is reconnected directly under the Injen pipe...

Then, connect a hose (supplied) from breather on the valve cover to the Injen pipe...

The little solenoid has to be removed from the intake duct assembly and reattached to the valve cover using the "L" bracket and the 6mm bolt supplied. Then, a hose is connected from that soleniod to the Injen pipe...

Voila!

PS Be gentle on the hose clamps! Better use a screwdriver than a ratchet... They don't need to be so tight... If your knuckles are turning white, it’s definitely too tight!!!!
Old 05-23-11, 05:45 PM
mandyfig

Got it! I have taken out the black part.
Old 05-23-11, 06:05 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Almost forgot! ...You'll also need to remove the MAF sensor and reinstall it on the Injen pipe...
Old 05-23-11, 06:06 PM
mandyfig

Did you guys clean you throttle body when you dropped your Injen? What did you clean it with?
Old 05-23-11, 06:30 PM
mandyfig

I finally got it figured out. Cleaning is done, just waiting on the Injen!
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-injen-connects.jpg  
The following users liked this post:
Pep59 (08-12-19)
Old 05-23-11, 06:31 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by scyul
Almost forgot! ...You'll also need to remove the MAF sensor and reinstall it on the Injen pipe...
Got this. I will also clean my MAF with MAF Cleaner before re-installing to Injen. Also use dielectric grease on connectors.
Old 05-23-11, 06:40 PM
mandyfig

I will have to clean this dirty TB with B-12 Chemtool. I have the MAF cleaner, too.
Attached Thumbnails Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-throttle-body.jpg   Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me-dscn1718.jpg  
Old 05-23-11, 06:46 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Did you guys clean you throttle body when you dropped your Injen? What did you clean it with?
As a matter a fact, yes I did clean the throttle body… I removed the throttle body assembly from the intake manifold, and cleaned it with throttle body cleaner using my wife’s toothbrush!

I used a piece of wooden dowel to keep the butterfly open while cleaning.

Then, reinstall… In my case, it made a difference on engine start up, with instant stable rpm.

Quick Reply: Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me