SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me

Search this Thread

Old 05-26-11 | 09:09 AM
mandyfig

I just bought the right ones, it says: 13 to 23 MM.
Old 05-26-11 | 10:11 AM
Yes

Thanks. I think the ones I bought were bigger. Sounds like I'll be making another trip to home depot.
Old 05-26-11 | 11:06 AM
scdroptop

Jason-I think the ones you want are the next size smaller. In the HD bin they look like about a quarter size round or so.
Old 05-26-11 | 11:10 AM
scdroptop

Mandy-looks great! Yeah, I started with those ties as well until I read the fine print on them that they only go up to like 150 degrees and the day I installed mine it was like 92 here in Dallas so I figured that engine could easily get to 150 so I better get the metal clamps! LOL

Nice job with the trimming of the engine cover. Looks like I need to do mine. I don't even own a dremmel. Any tips on that or a DIY would be greatly appreciated! I'm just nervous if I screw up mine I cannot buy another red one!
Old 05-26-11 | 11:45 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Great job Mandyfig, still waiting for mine to arrive from over there.
It has arrived in the UK, so I should have it soon, getting impatient now seeing all you guys with yours fitted..
Your pictures are great and they will help with my install, thanks.

Best regards

Steve
Old 05-26-11 | 02:35 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Mandy-looks great! Yeah, I started with those ties as well until I read the fine print on them that they only go up to like 150 degrees and the day I installed mine it was like 92 here in Dallas so I figured that engine could easily get to 150 so I better get the metal clamps! LOL

Nice job with the trimming of the engine cover. Looks like I need to do mine. I don't even own a dremmel. Any tips on that or a DIY would be greatly appreciated! I'm just nervous if I screw up mine I cannot buy another red one!
Last nite after the test drive I touched the filter on the Injen, that sucker's hot! Yup tie wraps will not survive long. I have my clamps.

I am not happy with my cover cut out, looks better in the picture, will need to clean it up and paint it. But I used a dremel and did a lot of trial fitting and actually ended up scratching my Injen (no worries I have a good polishing compound).

Definitely looks better with the cut out, it could be mistaken for a designed in feature.

I really want to study how we can bring in cold air to our intake.

And I do not want to add a heat shield, it will muffle the GROWL. That's not good. The growl is addicting as steadyeddy says!
Old 05-26-11 | 02:37 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by WIL44
Great job Mandyfig, still waiting for mine to arrive from over there.
It has arrived in the UK, so I should have it soon, getting impatient now seeing all you guys with yours fitted..
Your pictures are great and they will help with my install, thanks.

Best regards

Steve
Thanks Steve, you will be happy when the Injen is in place.
Old 05-26-11 | 02:40 PM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by redliner8
Very nice! If I was half decent with the Dremel I would attempt to cut the engine cover, but I know I'll mess it up haha
No need to be afraid. When I did it, I started slow. Cut a little, fit, cut some more fit...finally I got pissed and cut a huge cut and it worked. You have plenty of room to cut. Even if you end up having a 1/8" gap, it will still look good. Go for it. Certainly gives you the OEM tailored look.
Old 05-26-11 | 03:19 PM
scyul
Pole Position

I put two layers masking tape on the pipe where the engine cover touches it... Just to avoid scratching the mirror finish on the pipe. Once I was happy with the trimming, I simply removed the masking tape.
Old 05-26-11 | 07:56 PM
mandyfig

I fine tuned the cut out and polished the scratches, all good. It is a considerable cut. So for those who will attempt it, go for it.

I ended up shimming the cover to avoid cutting some more on the cover, good tip for people who do not want to cut a lot.
Old 05-26-11 | 08:44 PM
antigeek
Pole Position

Originally Posted by scdroptop
I've got one (well, a knock-off) and lots of bits.
Sent you a PM, so let me know if you want to come by & borrow.
Old 05-27-11 | 09:05 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by scyul
I put two layers masking tape on the pipe where the engine cover touches it... Just to avoid scratching the mirror finish on the pipe. Once I was happy with the trimming, I simply removed the masking tape.
I really wished I did this masking tape thing. Would have saved me a lot of time. Very good tip. The 2 or 3 layers of masking tape will act like your shim. Once you do not hit the tape, you are all set.

Also, do not paint the underside of the cut. I did and it is reflecting off the Injen and it does not look good. Keep it unpainted, satys black and gives you a better look. I will remove the paint I put in.

Can not wait to take to the streets again.
Old 05-27-11 | 10:36 AM
talwang

Honestly, I still think there is no need to trim the engine cover.

However, it is really an eye sore that you guys didn't even thinking about trimming the length of the hoses. lol
Old 05-27-11 | 10:39 AM
talwang

Originally Posted by Bon
Is everyone oiling their filter? I've found the Injen cleaner and oil (Protec charger kit) for around $17 delivered. I have some K&N filter oil on hand that I'm about to use.

Scdroptop, I understand your hesitation to dremmel your cover, especially your red one!
Originally Posted by Bon

(No that's not a through-hole in the plug.)

(Yup, I'm pretty pleased with the carving job.)

We took our first cruise to lunch and I purposely avoided goosing the engine so my wife wouldn't be surprised. I'll slowly let it growl a bit more as time goes on and see when she notices. I love the way I can choose when to let it bark but yet I don't have to deal with an exhaust drone when we're just cruising.

BTW: WAF = Wife Acceptance Factor

Only the maf and filter are the same part numbers wise, that was the reason I didn't want to say Injen would fit all years.
Generally, the fitment is still the same when an oem part get a new revised number.

I've been using K&N Recharger Filter Care Service Kit.
Old 05-27-11 | 11:46 AM
mandyfig

Originally Posted by talwang
Honestly, I still think there is no need to trim the engine cover.

However, it is really an eye sore that you guys didn't even thinking about trimming the length of the hoses. lol
Had to cut a few inches off the biggest hose and some on the small ones.

Quick Reply: Injen Short Ram Intake Install Buggin' Me