SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Hello and Thanks!

Search this Thread

Old 05-10-11, 12:00 PM
Jackson617
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Hello and Thanks!

Hello to all....I have been lurking for a while and thought I would finally chime in. I am a proud new owner of a low mileage 2002 and could not be happier. I am planning on adding new wheels and maybe a few mods to keep it interesting.

I have to thank this forum for some of the info I have already gathered. I have purchased a spare, found some "twisties" and learned a ton just by searching the forum . You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

I am having one issue that started last night. I put the top down to go for a cruise and now it will not go back up. Valet switch is right, the trunk lid is closed etc, and it went down fine. Now when I hit the close button I get nothing.... No light, no sound. When I push the open button, with the top already open, the windows go up as they should. Push the close button, and it does nothing. It almost like there is no power to that side of the switch. Lexus says "we have never heard of that" usually the top will not open. Is there a fuse that controls the close function of the roof ? Or maybe a trunk closed status switch that is not being made. I have even tried disconnecting the battery hoping the problem would clear. Any ideas?
Old 05-10-11, 12:55 PM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the cables in the trunk, they might be out of track.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-close-2.html

Last edited by cyberlexus; 05-10-11 at 12:58 PM.
Old 05-10-11, 01:26 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Also take a look at the trunk tonneau cover and the switch in the slot there...is the cover properly seated in the slot?
Old 05-10-11, 01:37 PM
VVTiBob

Oh and yes check the MPX-IG fuse on the driver's side junction box. After those items...time to pull the trouble codes...if you don't have a scan tool, usually your local autoparts store will do it for free.
Attached Thumbnails Hello and Thanks!-drivers-side-jb.png  
Old 05-10-11, 05:42 PM
Jackson617
Driver School Candidate

Thanks. THe cover in the trunk is seated in the track and I beleive I have checked all the obvious. I'll check the fuse and let you all know. Lexus tells me this is a strange problem.
Old 05-11-11, 04:44 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackson617
Hello to all....I have been lurking for a while and thought I would finally chime in. I am a proud new owner of a low mileage 2002 and could not be happier. I am planning on adding new wheels and maybe a few mods to keep it interesting.

I have to thank this forum for some of the info I have already gathered. I have purchased a spare, found some "twisties" and learned a ton just by searching the forum . You guys are a wealth of knowledge.

I am having one issue that started last night. I put the top down to go for a cruise and now it will not go back up. Valet switch is right, the trunk lid is closed etc, and it went down fine. Now when I hit the close button I get nothing.... No light, no sound. When I push the open button, with the top already open, the windows go up as they should. Push the close button, and it does nothing. It almost like there is no power to that side of the switch. Lexus says "we have never heard of that" usually the top will not open. Is there a fuse that controls the close function of the roof ? Or maybe a trunk closed status switch that is not being made. I have even tried disconnecting the battery hoping the problem would clear. Any ideas?

Welcome to the CL Forum, Jackson.
Sorry to hear about your problem.
Although I cannot help you, I am sure VVTIBob or someone on here will be able to help.

Best regards
Steve
Old 05-11-11, 05:46 AM
Jackson617
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Oh and yes check the MPX-IG fuse on the driver's side junction box. After those items...time to pull the trouble codes...if you don't have a scan tool, usually your local autoparts store will do it for free.
No joy on the fuse.....I guess I am off the Autozone to get the trouble codes and then to the stealership
Old 05-11-11, 06:40 AM
VVTiBob

Well there is a slew of trouble codes...beginning at B2501 going up to B2552. I also discovered there are a few more fuses associated with the retractable roof... it's the P-Tray, Roof RH Roof LH They're in the luggage compartment junction box.
Attached Thumbnails Hello and Thanks!-luggage-jb.png  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-11-11 at 06:54 AM.
Old 05-11-11, 06:46 AM
Jackson617
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Well there is a slew of trouble codes...beginning at B2501 going up to B2552.
I'll post the code when I get it. Hopefully someone can decipher.
Old 05-11-11, 09:56 PM
Hoovey689

Received 125 Likes on 83 Posts

welcome and congrats. post pics!!
Old 05-12-11, 05:41 AM
Jackson617
Driver School Candidate

Update to my "top wont close" delemma....I manually closed the top following the procedure in the owners manual. It wasn't as bad as I thought, took about 30 minutes.....anyway found that the drive cable was off the track, as another member suggested it might be. Once I reseated the cable and completely closed the top, it seemed to reset.
I ran it through a number of open/close cycles and now all is well.
Old 05-12-11, 06:07 AM
Blast-off
Rookie

Great result, The guys on here know there stuff..
Old 05-12-11, 08:13 AM
VVTiBob

Great call by Cyberlexus!
Old 05-12-11, 09:03 AM
Fitment Factory
Lexus Champion

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Welcome to Club Lexus!!
Old 05-12-11, 10:56 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Jackson617
Update to my "top wont close" delemma....I manually closed the top following the procedure in the owners manual. It wasn't as bad as I thought, took about 30 minutes.....anyway found that the drive cable was off the track, as another member suggested it might be. Once I reseated the cable and completely closed the top, it seemed to reset.
I ran it through a number of open/close cycles and now all is well.
Very cool that you were able to fix it...and welcome!

Question - The procedure that you followed in the manual, that's a 2-person job, right?

Quick Reply: Hello and Thanks!