SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 05-18-11, 05:09 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Back Seat

OPTION FOUR: BACK SEAT

Advantages: No cost

Disadvantages: Must disassemble bike; possible damage to car over time; possible damage to bike over time; can not raise top so major issue with rain.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 05-20-11 at 12:51 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 05:09 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 53 Likes on 38 Posts
Default Bike Rack

I recommend the bike rack from 1Up USA for several reasons. First and foremost, it is about half the weight of a "normal" bike rack. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum which greatly reduces its weight.

Second, it is extremely fast to load your bike. In addition, only your wheels touch the rack; no chance of scratches/damage to your bike. Here is a side view of the "tray" where your bike tires sit. In this picture, the arms are folded in, but you fold them out before loading your bike and they "capture" both wheels.

Here you can see the bike wheels "captured" by the arms. Loading literally takes 15 seconds, as does unloading. This picture has the "two bike" rack; the picture above is the "one bike" rack.

A final advantage is that the rack is held to the receiver by mechanism which expands to form a tight "no wobble" fit; much tighter than the hole/pin used by most racks.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 05-18-11 at 06:32 PM.
Old 05-18-11, 09:45 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
I recommend the bike rack from 1Up USA for several reasons. First and foremost, it is about half the weight of a "normal" bike rack. It is made from aircraft grade aluminum which greatly reduces its weight.

Second, it is extremely fast to load your bike. In addition, only your wheels touch the rack; no chance of scratches/damage to your bike. Here is a side view of the "tray" where your bike tires sit. In this picture, the arms are folded in, but you fold them out before loading your bike and they "capture" both wheels.

Here you can see the bike wheels "captured" by the arms. Loading literally takes 15 seconds, as does unloading. This picture has the "two bike" rack; the picture above is the "one bike" rack.

A final advantage is that the rack is held to the receiver by mechanism which expands to form a tight "no wobble" fit; much tighter than the hole/pin used by most racks.
Hi Johnny,

A well put together thread with lots of info.

I just throw my bike in the back of my pickup.

I think it is the cheapest of them all.

Jerry Baumchen
Old 05-19-11, 03:52 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very informative. Good job. I like Jerry's idea, but I don't have a pick-up any more. That would surely cost more than a bike rack.
Old 05-19-11, 04:21 AM
Scott R
Pit Crew

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

There's a 5th option:

I have a "strap on" bike rack that I've used a few times. No tow kit required. It's got metal "clips" that hook in by opening the trunk, attaching them, closing the trunk, and tightening the straps. Then there's the foam-padded bars that rest (tightly) against the back. There's probably potential for rubbing/scratching, but my '02 has plenty of hairline scratches and scuffs already, and I don't think using this on occasion adds significantly to that.

The bars where the bikes hang onto are just longish straight bars. I've put both mine and my daughter's on there and could possibly squeeze a 3rd on. The bikes obviously touch eachother, then you strap/tie those as tight as possible.

I can try to track down the specific make/model if interested. I suspect it's no longer in production, but I'm sure there are similar racks that would work fine.
Old 05-20-11, 03:43 PM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Very nice write up JohnnyCake. Thanks!
Old 07-26-11, 06:19 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

JohnnyCake,

very very nice. I did option 2 as you know. I have a Thule 917XT rack. Rather heavy at 50# but is working great. Charles and crew at Southside were great. Thank you for putting this all together.
Attached Thumbnails ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)-delilah-on-the-road-c100.jpg  
Old 07-26-11, 06:21 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

couple more pics...
Attached Thumbnails ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)-02-100.jpg   ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)-19_100.jpg  
Old 07-26-11, 09:10 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by genec220
couple more pics...
Hi gene,

Do you know what brand of trailer hitch that they used?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 07-26-11, 09:26 PM
Johnny Rad
Instructor

Received 10 Likes on 9 Posts

I hate to say it, but I think the tiny trailer hitch option is the best (two posts above mine).

I think it's small enough to be un-noticed when it's not in use. That's the key to me anyhow.

I don't think that I'd ever put a dirty, muddy MTB in the backseat. Maybe a road bike.
Old 07-27-11, 05:48 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

genec220,

Looks good!

I like the rack itself "steps" up at the rear, giving you more clearance.

I've been behind JohnnyCake's car with the rack on when he's trying to go up/down a sloped area. It usually clears, but it can get TIGHT!
Old 08-01-11, 05:47 AM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Jerry,

I don't know for sure. It may have been DrawTite, but honestly, the only pieces that are "standard" are the actual 1 1/4" receiver and the attached loop. It really should not matter where those pieces come from b/c all other parts are totally custom. JohnnyCake may know b/c he paid more attention to the details which is evident by his excellent pictures.

Thanks.

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi gene,

Do you know what brand of trailer hitch that they used?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
Old 08-01-11, 06:34 AM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Habious,

One thing to note for others thinking about this rack. I did not have the rack when i had the hitch done so i was guessing on the hitch mounting depth. I wanted it hidden as much as possible. When i finally got the rack, i learned that when it is in the folded or upright position (with no bikes ) the front tire cup that holds the bike's front tire closest to the car, and is the bottom one when in the upright position, pressed into the rear bumper. I had to trim about an inch off of the cup to make it clear. No big deal really but wanted everyone to have the info.

I can't thank JohnnyCake and all others who have done other racking methods enough for all of the time and effort that is making this "ride" even more enjoyable for me. (and of course the incredible workmanship of Southside Hitch in Richmond.)

Thanks.

Originally Posted by Habious
genec220,

Looks good!

I like the rack itself "steps" up at the rear, giving you more clearance.

I've been behind JohnnyCake's car with the rack on when he's trying to go up/down a sloped area. It usually clears, but it can get TIGHT!
Old 01-05-12, 07:54 PM
stang
Driver School Candidate

Default hitch for bicycle rack

I have had my 2003 SC430 since Spring 2003 and in reading the many post over the years have been horrified when someone would be thinking of installing a trailer hitch. Now I am that someone.

I am interested in getting more time in the SC430 (I live in BC, Canada and store the car during the winter). When it is not Winter I mountain bike 3 times a week (used to road bike until I was almost killed by a sleeping driver) and drive to the trails.

A 2" trailer hitch would fit my current bike rack and enable me to use the SC 430 for all my cycling trips. Needless to say I would like an installation that does not offend the SC430"s aesthetics.

Thanks

stan
Old 01-05-12, 09:25 PM
Yes

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

If you use the search feature, you'll find what you're looking for.

Quick Reply: ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)