SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 01-06-12, 07:35 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 56 Likes on 40 Posts

I dd a review of the options in this thread. This was the most useful mod I made to my SC.
Old 05-07-12, 02:00 AM
Rwhissel
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks johnny. I still have not found a thread where some one has put a trailer hitch on an sc 430. I want to drive cross country and carry my motorcycle with me or a couple of segways.I am new on how to use threads and posts I am not sure 8 am doing it right thanks again
Old 05-15-12, 06:41 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi gene,

Do you know what brand of trailer hitch that they used?

Thanks,

Jerry Baumchen
JerryB, So sorry for being so late. I have not been online in a long time. I can't say for sure, but my guess would be Curt. While i was there last, i noticed that they have a lot of Curt hitches. But again, everything was fabricated other than the actual receiver.

Last edited by genec220; 05-15-12 at 07:10 PM.
Old 05-15-12, 06:46 PM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by Rwhissel
Thanks johnny. I still have not found a thread where some one has put a trailer hitch on an sc 430. I want to drive cross country and carry my motorcycle with me or a couple of segways.I am new on how to use threads and posts I am not sure 8 am doing it right thanks again
Howdy Rwhissel,
No way to the motorcycle or segways; 1) the suspension isn't made for it and it would hang way too low, and 2) the class 1 trailer hitch has a max tongue weight of 200 lbs. Just not a good idea in my opinion. See my next post about my recent experience too. <as soon as i get my pictures ready>

Last edited by genec220; 05-21-12 at 08:30 PM. Reason: delay in posting follow-on post
Old 07-12-12, 07:20 AM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Alrighty...had a few distractions; 1 deer, 2 potholes. Here are some pics of the original hitch failure and the updated support and hitch. The hitch now supports 2 mtn bikes and has been working great for a couple of months.

I'll post a pic with two bikes loaded next chance i get.

A big THANK YOU to the guys at Southside Hitch in Richmond, VA for a stellar job.

Thanks.

genO
Attached Files
File Type: pdf
club lexus 2nd hitch pics.pdf (718.3 KB, 400 views)

Last edited by genec220; 07-12-12 at 09:56 AM.
Old 07-12-12, 10:53 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Did you say FAILURE???? I'm out of town reading on a cell phone, so could you be more specific? Ru saying that the installation method as done on my car failed? Yikes, details, please!
Old 07-16-12, 04:07 AM
genec220
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
Did you say FAILURE???? I'm out of town reading on a cell phone, so could you be more specific? Ru saying that the installation method as done on my car failed? Yikes, details, please!
Maybe "failure" is the wrong description. For_my_application, the original design did not hold up. I have 2 MTN bikes, and a rather heavy Thule rack. I also do not have a spare tire. A spare tire probably helps keep the trunk sheet metal from coupling and bending in on the spare tire well. And the second bike really hangs the extra weight farther out from the back of the car. Total weight of my setup is about 110-120 lbs. Hang the weight out there and go over some dips in the road (I-95N to NJ, in particular), no spare tire, and the sheet metal couldn't hold it. I was happy when Worth was able to come up with a way to strengthen it a little more. I take the bikes on just about every road trip Spring to Fall.

For just my bike, and the Thule rack, it seemed to have worked great. For your road bike, and your lighter rack, you should be fine. Sorry if I got you worried. If you want me to send photos in email so you can read on your phone easier, PM me. I'll send you the .pdf with them all when i get back from my meeting.

Hope that helps.

Thanks JohnnyCake.
Old 08-16-12, 03:47 PM
erictao
Driver School Candidate

Default Does the trunk bike rack create long term problem on your SC430?

Originally Posted by Scott R
There's a 5th option:

I have a "strap on" bike rack that I've used a few times. No tow kit required. It's got metal "clips" that hook in by opening the trunk, attaching them, closing the trunk, and tightening the straps. Then there's the foam-padded bars that rest (tightly) against the back. There's probably potential for rubbing/scratching, but my '02 has plenty of hairline scratches and scuffs already, and I don't think using this on occasion adds significantly to that.

The bars where the bikes hang onto are just longish straight bars. I've put both mine and my daughter's on there and could possibly squeeze a 3rd on. The bikes obviously touch eachother, then you strap/tie those as tight as possible.

I can try to track down the specific make/model if interested. I suspect it's no longer in production, but I'm sure there are similar racks that would work fine.
I'd really like to bring my road bike with me when I travel with my SC430 but not sure if the trunk lid can handle the weight of the bike on the trunk rack since the lid has all the mechanism to receive the hardtop. Anyone has used the trunk rack on SC430 long term?

Thanks!
Old 11-10-12, 05:43 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Johnny awsome write up. Now if I could figure out how to tow my vulcan 750 I would be ready for 6 wheel road trip.
Old 11-10-12, 06:41 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by mrblister
Johnny awsome write up. Now if I could figure out how to tow my vulcan 750 I would be ready for 6 wheel road trip.
Buddy, you are going about it a$$-backwards. You put a hitch on the Vulcan 750 and use the bike to tow the SC.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 11-12-12 at 02:02 PM. Reason: Because if you type ass in the post, it comes out ***, but in this "Reason for Editing" box you can say ASS all you want.
Old 11-10-12, 07:00 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

So r u telling me you have a vulcan 750 ?? Now lets see i get a flat car trailer put the car on that then attach my bike to that. I quess I need electric brakes or maybe just a large bag of rocks tied together on rope so i can drop them when I want to stop
Old 11-12-12, 02:08 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Default Another hitch option

Here's another hitch installation option, per DENNISLOGA who had the installation for $4400 done at Mann's welding in Bellevue, Washington.

Last edited by JohnnyCake; 11-12-12 at 02:13 PM.
Old 08-26-13, 07:26 PM
al1sha
Driver School Candidate

Default Estimate

Hey there bfigard,

So I was reading through this thread because I want to have a receiver hitch for a bike rack hitch...and....from what I understand, to get that installed is approximately 450?
Old 08-29-13, 08:32 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Originally Posted by al1sha
Hey there bfigard,

So I was reading through this thread because I want to have a receiver hitch for a bike rack hitch...and....from what I understand, to get that installed is approximately 450?
Definitely check out this thread:
Ultimate Bike Rack Thread
Old 05-13-15, 04:26 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Four year anniversary of the "standard under body" approach. Update to say, works great, no problems. I haul my bike twice a week except in the winter and always take the rack off between uses (gotta have the SC looking sharp at all times!). Without a doubt one of the best mods I have done.

And another shout-out to Southside Hitch in Richmond, VA. Mine was the first, but now they have done two more, so they probably have the most experience of anyone in the country. Like any project, the second is easier/better than the first. If you are anywhere on the east coast its probably worth the drive. They can have you in/out on the same day.

I have also used the back seat method when I have needed to carry two bikes. Not a great option. Much easier with the top down but do-able with the top up, assuming no passenger. But dropouts are sharp and can cause damage pretty easily (don't ask).

Quick Reply: ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)