SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)

Search this Thread

Old 04-08-16, 02:07 AM
igorxx
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike carrier for SC 430

I just got into biking and looking for info for a carrier for my SC 430
Old 04-08-16, 02:28 AM
Scarletti
Pole Position

Received 5 Likes on 3 Posts

First result of forum search using term "bike rack" -> Ultimate Bike Rack Thread.

Very good actually, read that a few times over the years. You can get 99% of what you want right there. Jonnycake did a great job collating info with that topic.
Old 04-08-16, 10:36 AM
Moonstruck
Pit Crew

Received 7 Likes on 6 Posts

SC430 and bike rack does not appear to be a good fit. Just my opinion. I would use on of my other cars for transporting my bike.
Old 04-09-16, 06:49 AM
SC0TT
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by igorxx
I just got into biking and looking for info for a carrier for my SC 430
I myself also looked into this. The best solution is to get a foldable bike from Dahon. This is a nice one that can fit snug inside the trunk space requiring to remove the mat for the spare tire with the vert flaps in place. My personal favorite is the Dahon paratrooper.
Old 01-14-17, 06:53 AM
jspringato
Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

A little update on my quest to install a hitch. First I bought a Uhaul hitch for a 2002 and tried to have it installed on my 2005. Apparently the welds were in a slightly different place and it didn't fit exactly. The installer could have modified it to fit, but refused to install it, informing that it was entirely bolted into sheet metal and wouldn't be strong enough for towing. After a few months, I started looking for a custom installer. I called CanAm RV in Canada to ask for advice. They specialize in mounting custom hitches for RV towing. They couldn't recommend anybody outside of LA, but advised me to look for a custom shop. I called Mann's Welding and they advised the same thing. Southside hitch advised they didn't make them anymore. I started calling custom shops and got a recommendation. I found a fabricator who specialized in custom built hot rods. He quoted $500, including wiring. I showed him the photographs from the Mann's Welding hitch for ideas. Hope to get it installed in the next couple of weeks. When installed I'll post up pictures, and if he approves, give you the name of the shop.

The rear wheel drive SC should be able to easily handle a 2,000 pound low profile trailer. Tongue weight on a 2,000 pound trailer should be in the neighborhood of 200 pounds, about the weight of the 2 rear seat passengers. I will weigh the combo at truck scales to make sure I'm not over plate weight. I plan on towing a 750 pound motorcycle on a 400 pound trailer. I also have a carrier that essentially will double the size of the trunk. At some point I think it would be fun to camp with one of the lighter Aliner trailers.

The guy at CanAm towed a motorcycle with his Miata, so he knew exactly what I wanted to do and spent a lot of time talking to me.
Old 01-20-17, 09:52 AM
jspringato
Driver

It's on. Here are pics.

​​​​​​
Untitled by jspringator, on Flickr
​​​​​​

It is hard to see if you aren't looking for it. He bolted the front to an existing steel crossmember, and sandwiched a support on sheet metal behind the bumper. Looking forward to giving it a workout!​​​​​​
Old 03-30-20, 02:08 PM
GBHarvey
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trunk Mounted bike rack question

I've searched the forum and read the sticky about bike racks, but haven't found anyone who has used a bike rack mounted on the trunk lid. I've read that some folks think the weight might damage the trunk, but I'm just trying to carry one bike. I used a trunk mounted rack (a Thule Passage I believe) on my A4 convertible. Most of the weight sat on a padded bar on the rear bumper, another padded bar provided stability by sitting on the trunk lid, and 4 straps with hooks attached the rack to the car. Never had any problems on the Audi as long as I didn't try to open or close the roof with the rack installed.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of rack? Trunk Mounted Thule Rack picture/page
Old 03-30-20, 05:22 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 556 Likes on 423 Posts

Originally Posted by GBHarvey
I've searched the forum and read the sticky about bike racks, but haven't found anyone who has used a bike rack mounted on the trunk lid. I've read that some folks think the weight might damage the trunk, but I'm just trying to carry one bike. I used a trunk mounted rack (a Thule Passage I believe) on my A4 convertible. Most of the weight sat on a padded bar on the rear bumper, another padded bar provided stability by sitting on the trunk lid, and 4 straps with hooks attached the rack to the car. Never had any problems on the Audi as long as I didn't try to open or close the roof with the rack installed.

Has anyone had any experience with this kind of rack? Trunk Mounted Thule Rack picture/page
I don’t think it will hurt the trunk or the roof as long as you don’t try to open the roof while it’ on ( of course).
Old 04-28-20, 08:09 AM
Andreiu
Driver

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Originally Posted by jspringato
A little update on my quest to install a hitch. First I bought a Uhaul hitch for a 2002 and tried to have it installed on my 2005. Apparently the welds were in a slightly different place and it didn't fit exactly. The installer could have modified it to fit, but refused to install it, informing that it was entirely bolted into sheet metal and wouldn't be strong enough for towing. After a few months, I started looking for a custom installer. I called CanAm RV in Canada to ask for advice. They specialize in mounting custom hitches for RV towing. They couldn't recommend anybody outside of LA, but advised me to look for a custom shop. I called Mann's Welding and they advised the same thing. Southside hitch advised they didn't make them anymore. I started calling custom shops and got a recommendation. I found a fabricator who specialized in custom built hot rods. He quoted $500, including wiring. I showed him the photographs from the Mann's Welding hitch for ideas. Hope to get it installed in the next couple of weeks. When installed I'll post up pictures, and if he approves, give you the name of the shop.

The rear wheel drive SC should be able to easily handle a 2,000 pound low profile trailer. Tongue weight on a 2,000 pound trailer should be in the neighborhood of 200 pounds, about the weight of the 2 rear seat passengers. I will weigh the combo at truck scales to make sure I'm not over plate weight. I plan on towing a 750 pound motorcycle on a 400 pound trailer. I also have a carrier that essentially will double the size of the trunk. At some point I think it would be fun to camp with one of the lighter Aliner trailers.

The guy at CanAm towed a motorcycle with his Miata, so he knew exactly what I wanted to do and spent a lot of time talking to me.
Logic checks out on towing capacity. How'd it go towing 2000 lbs?

I'm really frugal but splurged a little on my SC430. I have a second vehicle for the occasional home depot run, but everything could be managed with a trailer. And 500$ for a hitch install is cheaper than my other vehicle's insurance for 6 months.

Also, I imagine if they're fabricating something, it would be worthwhile to attach into and improve the rear end reinforcements. Improve body rigidity at the same time.
​​
Old 04-28-20, 08:40 AM
jspringato
Driver

I trailered my Ramp Free trailer (500 lbs +- with my Honda ST1100 (750 lbs+-) mounted thereon to Steel Steeds campground in Pennsylvania. I didn't tow in OD and the trailer was well balanced, but had no brakes. No problems.

by https://www.flickr.com/photos/44561435@N02/, on Flickr
Old 06-29-20, 02:48 PM
Jtsilver
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bike Rack

Is there a certain bike rack that I should get for my 2004 Lexus SC 430? Thanks

John
Old 06-29-20, 03:04 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

After years of frustration hauling our bikes around, we invested in 2 Brompton's. Foldable bikes that will fit on the overhead bin on a plane. Now we travel anywhere, even internationally, and bring them along to tour any city we're visiting. So far, Paris, Florence, Rome, Amsterdam, Mx City, NYC, D.C., etc. They can go on trains, buses and even a rickshaw, and fit in my IS3550 with ease

The following users liked this post:
nperm (05-05-21)
Old 06-29-20, 03:48 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 884 Likes on 708 Posts

Originally Posted by ShrinkDoc
After years of frustration hauling our bikes around, we invested in 2 Brompton's. Foldable bikes that will fit on the overhead bin on a plane. Now we travel anywhere, even internationally, and bring them along to tour any city we're visiting. So far, Paris, Florence, Rome, Amsterdam, Mx City, NYC, D.C., etc. They can go on trains, buses and even a rickshaw, and fit in my IS3550 with ease
Those are interesting bicycles, how many can you fit in an SC430?
Old 07-02-20, 06:04 PM
ShrinkDoc
Advanced

Received 96 Likes on 71 Posts

Since I don’t know the dimensions of the SC430, I couldn’t tell you. My best guess is 2-3 folded. Is there a Brompton shop near where you live. Or better yet, get on FB where there are several Brompton groups and ask in there. You should get an answer within hours or a couple of days.

good luck.
Old 07-16-20, 11:49 AM
Lavrishevo
Lexus Fanatic

Received 310 Likes on 229 Posts

What I used. Lots of cool options in the thread but I'm not interested in using a hitch.

Amazon Amazon

Last edited by Lavrishevo; 07-16-20 at 12:18 PM.

Quick Reply: ULTIMATE Bike Rack Thread (merged threads)