SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rearview Camera

Search this Thread

Old 05-19-11, 12:25 PM
donsmith
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Rearview Camera

CL experts, I searched but didn't find a specific brand/model...

I'm preparing to do both the Rearview Camera and Rear Quarter Window mods at the same time since involves the same general location. There's very useful info here for install instructions, thank you to those members. But no one mentions a specific camera to use. Obviously there are many available at a wide price range. Seems like the best brand is Boyo which are about $100. They have good pixels, lux, wide angle, adjustable, quality metal, etc. I'm OK with paying the extra money if it's really worth it. I haven't decided style and black or chrome yet, but I'm leaning towards one of these models:
Plate Frame style: black: VTL375, chrome: VTL275
Plate Thin Bar style: black: VTL425, chrome: VTL405

Are Boyo cameras worth the extra cost? Or does any eBay camera work just as well? What have you been happy with? Thanks.
Old 05-19-11, 01:00 PM
talwang

Received 25 Likes on 21 Posts

I have the Kenwood rearview camera and I like it.

Is my kenwood worth the extra cost?
I am not crazy enough to buy other cameras to figure out which one is the best bang for the buck. lol
Old 05-19-11, 04:50 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by donsmith
CL experts, I searched but didn't find a specific brand/model...

I'm preparing to do both the Rearview Camera and Rear Quarter Window mods at the same time since involves the same general location. There's very useful info here for install instructions, thank you to those members. But no one mentions a specific camera to use. Obviously there are many available at a wide price range. Seems like the best brand is Boyo which are about $100. They have good pixels, lux, wide angle, adjustable, quality metal, etc. I'm OK with paying the extra money if it's really worth it. I haven't decided style and black or chrome yet, but I'm leaning towards one of these models:
Plate Frame style: black: VTL375, chrome: VTL275
Plate Thin Bar style: black: VTL425, chrome: VTL405

Are Boyo cameras worth the extra cost? Or does any eBay camera work just as well? What have you been happy with? Thanks.
I have been told by a very reliable source, that the camera(navtool) is in the trunk area (I just spent 2 days in mine) and the rear quarter window (luxlink) is in the passengers compartment drivers side door and kick panel and rear seat area.
As far as the camera, (no name) I didn't spend a lot, I think it was like $35. or so. Black frame mount, color, night vision (lights) $179 for the navtool. Both were free shipping. Both on ebay. Before I ordered the navtool I wrote and asked about a camera and the said they didn't sell cameras. So I just picked one on ebay. Mine didn't have very good directions for the install, but VIPNISS helped a lot.
Old 05-20-11, 08:05 AM
wokraku
Driver School Candidate

Check out the Clarion brand. By far a better brand...not significantly any more expensive.,I have one installed on my GX470 and it's great!
Old 05-20-11, 09:13 AM
Sapherynth
Driver

I have the Boyo VTL375 installed. This is a picture of the image on my Nav.

The VTL375 is VERY compact and has an extremely wide angle. From a couple feet back you don't even notice that the frame has a camera in it and the bolts are screwed in from behind the plate to prevent theft. If I had to gripe about anything it would be that the angle is a bit too wide for my liking. You can see in the picture that the top edge of the bumper lip is visible. Since the plate is recessed moving the camera just results in the bumper showing in other corners :P.

This is the full information on my setup.
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...n-the-air.html

VIPNISS has a similar camera model so he may have some input too.