SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Convertible top issue

Search this Thread

Old 05-28-11, 03:03 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convertible top issue

I Have an 02 SC 430 with top issues . The trunk will not lift after the windows drop. It actuates the trunk open but does not lift. Any troubleshooting tips or a wiring diagram would be splendid. Visited the local Lexus dealership they claim two bad trunk lifter motors. but im wondering if there is a relay or switch not allowing the top to continue.. any help would be GREATLY appreciated
Old 05-28-11, 05:30 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

The sliding roof has more than 20 motors and switches that must be in sync to operate correctly. There's a long list of trouble codes for diagnostics too. On the physical side there is a cable which may be out of its track. Look at post 18 & 19 in this thread https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...t-close-2.html

You said the dealer claimed bad motors? Did they guess or actually hook up the OBD2 port and pull diagnostic codes?

The Advanced Search tool is your friend... plenty of threads on keyword "roof" in the "SC430"
Attached Thumbnails Convertible top issue-search.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 05-28-11 at 05:42 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 12:51 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My driver side motor went out. Seems like lexus is correct and your motors are out. They coulda easily pulled that code for you. Having to make it work sometimes tapping them will get it going.. The motor is located near the reAr side speakers

They arent cheap either. 500 a pieceee
Old 05-29-11, 04:04 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Thanks alot for responding.. I do believe they ran diagnostic the first response i got from them after was all motors where fine.. but after 3 days of diagnosis the claim was two bad trunk lifter motors that are 800 a piece..
Old 05-29-11, 04:37 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Update i used the advice VVTibob pointed out and the cable was off track.. I replaced in the track and the trunk lifted higher this time but not all the way.. Also my light turns red the minute i hit the switch to open the top. Should it be red or another color?
Old 05-29-11, 04:51 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

it does sound like the same problem i had. exactly. i forgot the motors are that much. i get a discount for parts thats why. i hope you did not force it shut or anything. theres a latch which you can crush (i did) if you do.. my top works perfectly fine after i replaced the driver side motor and fixed that latch.
Old 05-29-11, 04:56 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

No it closes everything fine .. which is weird to me if the motor is "Bad" does something else pop the trunk and close it.. could it be possible there just locked from sitting to long..i want to try knocking on them like u suggested..
Old 05-29-11, 05:17 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

You can get a used one at half the price.

I'd spend some time looking at the suggestion from Bob to do some advanced searches and read those thoroughly. Top problems are very rare with SC430's and can be extremely expensive to just starting replacing stuff. Start small with relays, fuses and general overview of the trunk area. There is a fuse for each of the convertible top motors, I believe. Make sure nothing is in the way, make sure the cargo pull is seated right, make sure everything looks as it should. Also I would try to run the top back up manually too. For good measure (if it's free, try it, right?? ) Play with the valet button in the glove box too. You never know....

My general advice would be to get a second opinion at another Lexus Dealer or independant. I'd get a copy of the codes...if you paid some $$$ for the three day diagnosis, they should be able to cough up the codes. If they can't---we've got a problem. Tell them you want a supervisor to run the tests again and show you they are bad before you consider replacing. Surely both motors are not bad at the same time? If just one is out, that's half your cost! One used motor can run $495 which isn't terrible. I like this idea too:

Another consideration is buying an extended warranty. Many extended warranty companies don't check your car first and you could have this covered for a small deductible along with all your ML speakers that will go out, possible ML head unit and any other warranty items that may go out in the future.

Here's the motor and hinge for $495:
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/SC430...Q5fAccessories

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/2002-...Q5fAccessories

Keep us posted. I'm sorry to hear about your problem. Good luck!

Last edited by scdroptop; 05-29-11 at 05:27 PM.
Old 05-29-11, 05:35 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Thanks SC.. I am trying to find a link now telling me how to drop the top manually.. never had it down had it a month.. and i need it at least half way to work on it. i will try the dealership and see what code exactly it was they never told me..
Old 06-01-11, 05:39 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Well I have been troubleshooting the last few things and before i pull the trigger and order parts this is what ive found.. The top starts everything fine untill the trunk actuates lifts a few inches and then the sequence stops..HOWEVER ... up untill a few minutes ago i have always hit the close button to close the top out fear of the top not closing.. which fortunatly it has done everytime thus far.. but if i hit open again to try and restart from where it stops it moves the trunk a lil higher and stops.. did that two more times and got the trunk about 10" open .. then i got "Scared" again and closed it back all the way which it did fine.. am i pressing my luck or is this a good sign ..Thanks again for all the help!!
Old 06-01-11, 06:44 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Were you ever able to get trouble codes? If you don't want to go to a dealer, you can usually go to an autoparts store to have codes scanned?
Old 06-02-11, 06:17 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Blueberyum
Update i used the advice VVTibob pointed out and the cable was off track.. I replaced in the track and the trunk lifted higher this time but not all the way.. Also my light turns red the minute i hit the switch to open the top. Should it be red or another color?
My top opens and closes although when it closes I've noticed it's not exactly even??? One side is always about an inch lower. is that normal? Also my switch is red the second I use it...so I think that is normal???
Old 06-06-11, 03:59 PM
Blueberyum
Driver School Candidate

Another update.. After gutting the trunk and examining the trunk lifter motors.. i knocked on them replaced the gate.Hit the open button and it drops the windows and pops the trunk lid and stops sequence...so i kept pressing and holding the open button and the passenger side would move about 3 inches then the driver would catch up.. it finally reached the open position and the top went down and the trunk closed fine.. seems to be out of alignment on just the open sequence the closing of the trunk is smooth and works great .. i do know that the computer for the top was replaced thanks again.. bob still no codes for you my fault will call soon..
Old 06-06-11, 08:09 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

glad you're getting it to work properly. i hope i don't run into anymore top issuess
Old 06-07-11, 10:34 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

I've gotten to where I open the windows with the window controls on the door. While the windows are opening, I put on my seat belt, grab my sunglasses and other pretrip prep. Then after the windows are open, I do the top. That way I don't have to hold the top button as long (since the windows open automatically with just 1 press of the windows controls). Maybe that will work for you too.

Quick Reply: Convertible top issue