SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Detailing

Search this Thread

Old 06-10-11, 05:05 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Different products for different things and a lot of them are down to personal preference.

Zaino is overrated (IMHO) and Blackfire is very good but not the best.

Menzerna or Optimum would be my pick for paint correction via Buffer.

Wash - Optimum or Liquid Glass
Polish - Liquid Glass
Sealant - Liquid Glass
Wax - Ioncoat Naviwax
Detail Spray - Prima Slick or Liquid Glass
Do you recommend using a buffer for the polishing and waxing? Or are these hand apply? I bought a buffer but I haven't really used it yet.
Old 06-10-11, 05:39 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

redliner8
ciro used a buffer. he had 2 different ones.
Old 06-10-11, 07:21 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by redliner8
Do you recommend using a buffer for the polishing and waxing? Or are these hand apply? I bought a buffer but I haven't really used it yet.
I only use a Buffer for Paint Correctin and Polishing. Everything else is hand applied although you can use a Buffer with a finishing pad on it.

I have both a Cyclo Orbital Polisher and a Flex XC3401 VRG.
Old 06-10-11, 08:18 AM
SystemShok
Driver

From what I read on autopia and other sites and maybe harleydjce can chime in but I believe 90% of what is going to make your paint truly shine is paint correction with a buffer/orbiter.. the other 10% is the wax/sealant you put on top after you correct the paint.

No matter how many layers of zaino i put i will always see swirls in direct sunlight because I have not corrected the paint which I need to do and it is impossible to do polishing by hand and get the same results from a machine.

I dont think you have to use a buffer for wax but definitely you need a machine to polish(correct the paint) on a car.
Old 06-10-11, 08:23 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Originally Posted by harleydjce
Yes to both along with Zymol, Swissvax, chemical guys etc. You name it, I have tried it!

They are all good waxes. The Ioncoat Naviwax is insane though!

Liquid Glass has exceeded all my expectations. Compared to Zaino there is no comparison. Zaino isn't in the same league from a Sealant perspective

Interesting. I never used any other products besides Zaino so I can be very well be blind in terms of other products surpassing Zaino.

I want to pick your brain for a second if you don't mind . The Ioncoat Naviwax you mentioned any particular reason you rave this over other waxes you tried (like i mentioned souveran/fuzion)?

When some waxes claim it was particularly made for black cars is there any truth to this or just marketing hype?

Its good to have feedback from a person who actually tried several high end waxes themselves.
Old 06-10-11, 08:26 AM
SystemShok
Driver

Originally Posted by bacardi
ciro feels zaino is over rated, he feels black fire lasted longer when done properly. i have the midnight pine med. now the color sparkles in the sun. i went by what he said. wish i took pictures before and after i didn't. but the car looks like night and day. like i said i think car came out great.

I wouldn't doubt that your car looks stunning... Now I am curious through the next several weeks/months how durable is blackfire. Is your car garage kept or outside? I think I am going to buy a bottle of blackfire to try.
Old 06-10-11, 09:57 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

systemshok
i keep the car covered by custom made car cover. u would do complete detail job.
Old 06-10-11, 10:06 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

I didn't realize how intense this is haha Guess that's why people pay big bucks to have it done right

This is the paint correction you recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Menzerna-FINIS...7726633&sr=1-6

Last edited by redliner8; 06-10-11 at 10:25 AM.
Old 06-10-11, 10:24 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

redliner8
ciro who did mine gos to pa. depends were you live. give him a call.
Old 06-11-11, 10:08 AM
harleydjce
Lead Lap

I didn't realize how intense this is haha Guess that's why people pay big bucks to have it done right

This is the paint correction you recommend? http://www.amazon.com/Menzerna-FINIS...7726633&sr=1-6
Right brand but cant tell from the description.

I use Menzerna 106FF for heavy swirls/scratches and Menzerna PO85RD for light swirls etc.

You may also wish to try Optimum Hyper Polish spray, Optimum Polish or if only light swirls etc Optimum Poli-Seal.
Old 06-11-11, 11:29 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

ok, so how much did he charge you? Guessing roughly 11 hours X $35/hr. Also guessing you're not going to tell us...
Old 06-12-11, 02:39 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

Peter_Klim
Your guess is about right, but like i said worth the money to me.
Old 06-12-11, 05:42 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

$350 for a detail??, mine only cost me $120 & I'll very happy with the result....
Old 06-12-11, 06:33 AM
playa3uhh
Lexus Test Driver

you have one of the nicest SCs! 04 PB Edition, right? Love the exterior color. Love the interior leather/dark grey wood even more! I recently had my LS430 (burgundy) detailed at the dealer because they had a special ($120) and they did a tremendous job. I just got a Detail special on Groupon for my SC430. I'll post up results soon after it's done. Hopefully it turns out like yours!
Old 06-12-11, 06:58 AM
bacardi
Lead Lap

like harleydjce stated in thread #5 that is the proper way to detail a car. if you want that you pay and thats not the interior. if you think the detailer at the dealer did that to your car you are very mistaked.
we have a detailing section on our forum, check out Greg@DI he one of are Ventors CL Sponsors and his 24hr Restorative Detail then you will find out what detailing is all about. its not wash and wax.

Last edited by bacardi; 06-12-11 at 07:37 AM.

Quick Reply: Detailing