navigation screen

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-02, 10:23 PM
Jim Allen
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default navigation screen

I have an LS 430 and an SC 430 and bth have the navigation system. Has anyone
found a way to get the finger prints off of the screens. It seems they will not wipe off with kleenex or paper towels.
Old 09-10-02, 10:28 PM
Phu
Pole Position

I use a microfiber towel and wipe it back and forth several times and they come off. I was thinking about trying the computer screenwipes that are slightly damp, they might work better.
Old 09-10-02, 10:31 PM
tfischer

Received 216 Likes on 160 Posts
Default Try this

It's a problem, and a dry towel, paper or cloth, will not help too much because you need a solvent to break up the grease and oil which is the fingerprint. If you don't use a solvent, you will just be spreading the grease and oil around on the screen, which will make it seem like the print is gone, but will coat the screen with oil and make future prints more pronounced. You need to remove that grease, not just hide it.

I do this. I keep a little spray bottle of eyeglass cleaner (originally from Lenscrafters) and a cotton cloth in the small rear compartment of my SC430. I ran out of the lenscrafters solution some time ago, but Windex or any glass cleaner will do fine.

Spray and wipe.

If you really want to do a good job, hit the "Display" button, and then turn the screen "Off." This leaves the door open, but turns off the screen so you can see the fingerprints.

It's a small pain to clean this, but, having used some other NAV systems, it's a small price to pay for the great convenience of having the touch screen, which is very fast and convenient.

Finally, I have tried "pre-moistened" cleaners and they don't work well at all. Don't bother with them. Just get a small spray bottle and use Windex and a dry, soft cotton or MicroFiber towel.

Happy motoring.

Last edited by tfischer; 09-10-02 at 10:34 PM.
Old 09-10-02, 11:04 PM
fulmitz
Driver

My salesman told me not to use windex. He said it would take the coating off the screen. My viewsonic monitor also came with instructions not to use any amonia based window cleaners as there is a coating on that too. I'm guessing that is what he was talking about. Can anyone confirm or deny this? Any other ideas?

Fulmitz
Old 09-11-02, 09:50 AM
tfischer

Default No amonia??

Thanks for that tip.

That's not in the book, and no one at Lexus mentioned that.

I'll switch from the windex to a cleaner without amonia. My understanding is that there are several cleaners made without amonia for use on tinted windows.

Sprayaway, of course, is really good and has no amonia, but only comes in a big can which cannot be easily stored in the car.

I'll check at the AutoZone store are see what's available.
Old 09-11-02, 03:49 PM
fulmitz
Driver

I think that either Glass Plus or Windex make a cleaner without amonia. Check on the bottle at your local supermarket. My salesman just said to use water on a cloth. Otherwise I'd look for amonia free.

Fulmitz
Old 09-11-02, 04:51 PM
therocker
Rookie

I tried the computer wipes and it made it much worse. Never had luck with windex either. I am fanatical about cleaning my car except for the NAV screen because it is such a pain. I think the last time I cleaned it, I used a very soft Calvin Klein undershirt with a very little bit of water and gently wiped it off with the dry part of the undershirt. Next time, I am wondering if using my dry special eyeglass cleaning cloth to clean it.
Old 09-11-02, 11:14 PM
tfischer

Default Try this

I took my small spray bottle, described above, and threw out the windex because of the amonia alert posted above.

I then took my can of Sprayaway glass cleaner, which we all know is the best stuff out there for car windows, sprayed it into a large bowl and let the foam suds settle. I poured the residual cleaner into the little bottle and I'm ready to try it on my NAV screen this weekend.

Full report to follow.

I am full of hope.
Old 09-12-02, 12:54 AM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

At auto stores you can find armor all window cleaner and other brands without ammonia and etc in it. Reason being the ammonia discolors window tint, so hence they sell it that way.....once again I say just get some white gloves, then their will be nooooooo problem at all. lol