SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

HELP! Do they all ride/handle like this?

Search this Thread

Old 03-25-12, 04:06 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

First welcome and congrates on your "new" vehicle. I too had the same thing. First I put on a set of lowering springs, which helped a lot. Waited till the rotten RFT just about wore out then switched to Nexen 3000s, more for looks (tread design) than anything else. Now when we are out the wife sometimes forgets which car we are in if the top is up on the SC. So when you finally switch then you can really start to enjoy your new ride.
Old 03-25-12, 10:14 PM
12monster
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I just recently purchased a 02 and I felt the same way over bumps on the freeway. The shop has installed lowering springs and changed all bushings, but it still feels the same way. I know the rear tires have been changed to non-RFTs, I still need to check what tires are on the front. My car is still in the shop to install SAGE RCAs, and reset the VSC off lights triggered from suspension work. Here are some threads I found about the highway shudder problem, but seems to have no solutions. I ask the shop anyway to also check the tie rods, hub bearing, sway bar end links if they're bent, ball joints and steering damper.

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sus...ease-help.html
https://www.clublexus.com/forums/gs-...ay-speeds.html
Old 03-26-12, 06:49 PM
sebtown
Driver

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bumps and rattles

I've been driving the 02 for a month now with RFT's and some of the worst roads in California. This is my 3rd Lexus and I was mighty surprised by the ride, the rattles and going over the bumps. Now I just put down the roof, turm up the tunes and drive. I will change out the RFT's about the time I need hearing aids!
Old 03-26-12, 08:38 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 417 Likes on 366 Posts

Been dreaming of the day when my RFT retire...maybe I should yank and replace them and sell them to guys who still enjoy RFT;s. I have the PIrreli P Zeros.
Old 03-27-12, 03:12 PM
scdroptop
Forum Moderator

Received 52 Likes on 22 Posts

For those of us all who have owned other Lexus vehicles it's funny that we are really mad at the ride the SC430 gives, although for a "sports car" or GT it's pretty smooth comparatively. I just recently drove a 1999 ES300 with 154k miles on it and it drove 300% times smoother than my SC. But, I also drove a Lamborghini Guillardo also recently and it was so harsh I checked my fillings to see if they were still in tact! LOL It's all relative.

Generally speaking, I think wheels, tires, suspension all help the SC but also remember the larger the wheel, the smaller the cushion so you kind of offset those, and IMO when I lowered my car it became much harsher even on softer settings on my coilovers. The SOFTEST ride IMO with the SC is to simply replace RFT's with Michelins or a softer 50,000 mile tire.
Old 03-27-12, 03:41 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
The SOFTEST ride IMO with the SC is to simply replace RFT's with Michelins or a softer 50,000 mile tire.
This... And lay off the sport button. Also, if you put your air pressure to around 32psi. That helps a lot. 35 psi feels so rough for me.
Old 03-29-12, 08:12 AM
HOODCELEBS
Rookie

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I bought mines brand new and I got rid of run flat's but never experienced the shimmer over the bumps I would get a wheel alignment and take the run flats off.. I ride on 20's and it handles great
Old 03-31-12, 09:35 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I had the same issue with my 2002 when I first got it. I think it is because of the mismatch between the stock suspension and the low profile tires with heavy stock wheels. The car is just unstable on any less than perfect road, especially on freeway.

So far I have done 4 things and the whole car feels much different with more confidence and stability.

1. Change to lighter and wider wheels (22 lbs vs. stock 28 lbs each, 18x8.5 vs. stock 18x8). The improvement is quite noticeable. Car sticks to asphalt better due to better traction.

2. Swap out the run-flats. Lots of discussion already on this.

3. Install the Toyota TTE sport springs. It is about 1" lower and still maintains stock ride quality. The effect is the most significant. Much better ride and handling, and the car becomes more stable. One downside is a slightly bumpy ride.

4. Change front tires to 235/45-18 and keep rear at stock size 245/40-18. I think the 40 series tires in the front are too much for the suspension to handle. Car tracts straighter and is more stable on the freeway now, with less wandering and steering correction required. Car also rides a bit softer on bumpy roads.

Just my personal experience.