Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by GmanSC
What’s EV? Electric Vehicles ?
Yes it is.
Old 05-29-22, 04:27 PM
BuffMan
Driver

Received 15 Likes on 7 Posts

I have zero knowledge or expertise on this subject, but to put into perspective, yes, EV is electrical vehicle. Weather our beloved SC 430s ever enter this phase remains to be seen, if ever.
Old 05-29-22, 04:29 PM
BuffMan
Driver

https://www.hotcars.com/classic-cars...v-conversions/
Old 05-29-22, 05:37 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 915 Likes on 735 Posts

Originally Posted by BuffMan
I have zero knowledge or expertise on this subject, but to put into perspective, yes, EV is electrical vehicle. Weather our beloved SC 430s ever enter this phase remains to be seen, if ever.
My fear, the next pollutants for the landfills are EV by-products that cannot be recycled…
like windmill blades…

Old 05-29-22, 06:50 PM
BuffMan
Driver

So maybe future is hydrogen gas a la BMW research instead of EV & old battery disposal issues ... who knows!

But I bet there's a future Lexus SC430 type car that's EV on the drawing boards right now inside Toyota 🤔
Old 05-29-22, 08:05 PM
Studog
Driver

Received 44 Likes on 30 Posts

Hang on Buffman, you mean that hydrogen technology that the Japanese created and mass produced!

For Clarity(pun intended), Honda was way ahead of the game. At the time Honda was also installing hyrdogen heating and cooling systems in Japanese homes - because of course solar and wind power is utter nonsense. Perhaps the Germans were using the hydrogen for warming their bratwursts but Im not sure. They sure didnt have any known vehicles powered by hydrogen at the time. They would have had to buy the parts from the Japanese parts industry and an item like that would have came to my attention because of the work i did.

So, lets give credit where its due. And I believe its Toyota that holds the record for miles achieved in a hydrogen car.

Of course, it is the only legitimate way forward if hydrocarbons are to be castigated as anyone with a brain knows. Honda launched a range of these vehicles more than 15 years ago. I translated some of the tech docs for them at the time. Hydrogen stations were going to be rolled out across LA and an agreement was made between Honda and the govt of the day( who went back on their word). But the US auto makers scotched it. I think the US car industry's hydrogen program at the time consisted of filling balloons for kids parties.
Old 05-29-22, 08:44 PM
BuffMan
Driver

Ok. So Japanese started the hydrogen auto technology? Does it hold any promise long term? If not, why would BMW & others be investing in hydrogen car prototypes I wonder.

(Sorry we've drifted away from main thread issue re: timing belt frequency). But long term, this driver does not see car owners wanting to have to worry about this specific issue given evolving EV/hydrogen/whatever technology replaces engines that need a timing belt. Just sayin ... 😁
Old 05-31-22, 12:16 PM
stubeeef
Driver

Received 16 Likes on 12 Posts

Going to turn my 07 with 67,000 miles into a daily driver soon, I'm the 3rd owner with no records showing the belt done. Can't imagine its getting any cheaper to have done either.
When I send it in-what other stuff do most here recommend to have done while apart?
Going to have brakes/rotors replaced, and suspension upgrades done too. Like the car enough to spend the $$$ vs a new something.
Old 05-31-22, 05:22 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Received 498 Likes on 396 Posts

Originally Posted by stubeeef
When I send it in-what other stuff do most here recommend to have done while apart?
Besides replacing every component in the TB train (pulleys, tensioner, water pump), most recommend replacing everything that is removed along the way in getting to the TB, such as, radiator, radiator hoses, serpentine belt, etc. Personally, I would definitely replace the t-stat, but would likely keep the hoses if they seemed solid enough (I have a 85 MR2 with all the original hoses). I would only replace the radiator too if I saw signs of age/leaking. I hear the replacement radiators available from Lexus aren't great quality, and it is easy to replace a radiator at any point in time. Most importantly, I recommend using all Toyota/Lexus OEM parts, from the TB, to every last gasket and clamp. Toyota/Lexus parts are for the most part what makes these vehicles so rock-solid reliable.
Old 05-31-22, 10:00 PM
Studog
Driver

Buff mate, Hydrogen has always been the logical conclusion because basically no Co2 emmissions, vehicle runs on same platform, almost same engine. Driving characteristics the same as what you are used to now and filling the tank is quick and easy.

Despite our political leaders obsession with "carbon" which they seem not to know is what diamonds are made, if you are in the engineering industry you have to cover all logic bases. Even Gomer Pyle would know that electric vehicles are illogical nonsense. Hell CA cant afford to keep everyone's A/C on during summer, so how would you charge your vehicle if EVERYONE owned these things. The Germans are merely covering their bases.

Honestly, who cannot see through the climate change and related solar, wind power and electric vehicle charade?
The following 2 users liked this post by Studog:
Bgw70 (06-01-22), Harold57 (06-01-22)
Old 06-01-22, 01:15 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Studog
Buff mate, Hydrogen has always been the logical conclusion because basically no Co2 emmissions,..
Isn't the issue with Hydrogen the same issue we have with EV's? EV charging power is mostly generated by burning fossil fuels. But too, Hydrogen is generated by refining fossil fuels. So, are either better than ICEV's?

Just like the "a chicken in every pot" slogan of the 1920's GOP, I believe the answer to our transportation energy dilemma could be "a solar car port in every driveway," and ultimately, in every parking lot!

As much as people want easy answers with no compromises or sacrifices, the survival of the species may require complex solutions with some compromises and sacrifices. I'm not worried about how this affects my life as I'm old and will likely not see much change before taking that great highway in the sky. But, my kids, grand-kids, and all future generations of Wilsons, will be affected, and the sooner we start changing gears, the better chance we have of avoiding the road to ruin.

All these discussions about EV's vs ICEV's border on "the political" and we have to be careful to not disregard the CL member rules regarding this. While we all have a duty to counter misinformation with facts, we must be careful not to enter the realm of ideology!

Last edited by Wilson2000; 06-01-22 at 05:12 PM. Reason: typo
Old 06-01-22, 03:55 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 915 Likes on 735 Posts

Since we are talking alternative fuels ;-)
Old 06-01-22, 05:38 PM
Wilson2000
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bgw70
Since we are talking alternative fuels ;-)
What's the advantage of generating Hydrogen from solar vs simply powering up EV batteries from solar? Generation, tank storage and the heated tank regulation seems complicated in comparison, and you aren't carrying around a Hydrogen bomb in the trunk with simple battery storage!
Old 06-01-22, 09:26 PM
Studog
Driver

tehehehe! Wilson, you are clearly from California! This plastic straw is heating the planet! hahahahaha funny stuff.

Mate, did you see today's IEA warning? Better start filling your tank and some Jerry cans in case you want to use your vehicles for emergencies.

Bg, that was a great video. Thanks. A good explanation that the only "bomb" around is probably the car you choose to drive.
Old 06-01-22, 09:29 PM
Studog
Driver

For those interested in Lexus alternatives, I present:

https://www.lexus.eu/discover-lexus/...-road-bicycle/

Quick Reply: Timing belt (miles or age??)