SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Our back seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-23-02, 04:33 AM
Dema
Pole Position

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I think the back seats are pretty good if you have a dog or a cat. Even if you have a smal animal as mouse or hamster, then you can put a cage to backseats.
Old 09-26-02, 04:38 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

I'm sure if you can afford a SC430, you have a beater car for trips to home depot or people ferrying. Or at least have access to a car with 4 doors

Plus in NYC where insurance is SKY high, the 2+2 classification really helpe out.

regards
Ken
(still waiting to get back on my feet;got laid off, but when I do, I'm getting a SC430. until then I have my SC300
Old 09-26-02, 01:08 PM
Seattle SCone
Advanced

Received 293 Likes on 175 Posts

I do use the back seat. I've even had two passengers there for a short trip in a pinch. Just used it for carrying four cases of wine back up the coast. It adds a lot more cargo space than one might expect.
Old 09-26-02, 04:49 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I keep a small CD case, a folding umbrella and my poochies' SpiderMan doll.

On occassion I put my pooch back there. He loves it.
Old 09-30-02, 06:22 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Default Kids

How comfortable are the yong kids in the back seat? I have a couple daughters under 10 years old. They seem to sit with their legs under them most of the time anyway (despite my protests), but can they survive back there for a couple hours if required?

thanks.
Old 09-30-02, 06:51 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Young kids should not be allowed in your car !
Old 09-30-02, 08:20 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Default Not helpful

Larry,

That makes two unhelpful responses from you to my first two questions. You are the best... keep up the good work. LOL!! I really need to haul more than just your Poochie and spiderman doll... I love my little brats!! Besides, they love open air cruising (maybe almost as poochie).

Anyone else have thoughts?

Last edited by Hugeness; 09-30-02 at 08:29 PM.
Old 09-30-02, 08:47 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

I think they would sacrafice a lil comfort to just enjoy the open air cruising. My problem is that I am 6'1" with long legs and although the steering wheel moves, I can only get so close to the pedals without it being uncomfortable and/or safe. Having said that its usually not a problem to put someone behind the passenger seat. I've actually had 4 grown people in the car before, but I was in the passenger seat eating my knees, the guys in the back just dealt with it. Usually if i have someone in the back they sit across the seats though, shoes off of course. This included a two hour trip...where my friends switched half way.
Old 10-01-02, 01:42 AM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Default Saw one tonight

SC, Thanks for the response. As i was leaving work tonight there was an SC430 parked next to my building with the top down... gorgeous!! Had the "orange" interior. I had to laugh as I noticed both front seats were pulled far back and left about 2" between the front seat back and back seat... LOL!!!

I'm 6'0" with average legs and usually it is just me in the front with my two girls in the back... so one girl gets to ride in comfort at least. I was surprised at how upright the back seats were.

I am hoping to take the girls for a test drive this weekend and see how they fit. I have been hesitant to do this because I know it will get back to their Mother and then... blah, blah, blah... LOL.

I have really started to focus on the SC430 since finding out that the new MB CLK Cab will have a soft roof. The CLK is a bigger car and my girls loved the backseats before when I had that car (as a coupe only). But I feel if I am going to end up spending over $50k for a car that I want the drop top and I want it to be a hard top. I would get a regular coupe before I would get a soft top. I just don't like the way the soft top looks when it is up on any car.

Thanks again for the help.
Old 10-01-02, 04:35 AM
RodF
Pole Position

All I can say is that it is not a practical backseat that anyone would want to sit in.

But it sure as hell is good to have at the times when you HAVE to carry more than 2. No one is comfortable, but you can get there without being arrested for violating the seatbelt laws, or doing something unsafe like having a person lie down in the back compartment of a Corvette, which I refused to do, because if anything happened to my son because I was stupid enough to have him lie down back there without a seatbelt, I would have never forgiven myself. The end result is he could never come with us for a ride in the Corvette, or we had to bring the "family car" instead of the Corvette. Now everyone is happy, even if the backseat riders are uncomfortable. For short trips, it works.

And yes, I do let kids ride in the back seat. My son is a car person and notices every single smudge on the seat, and helps me clean it.

But Larry, you are a funny guy, and I enjoy your direct responses.
Old 10-03-02, 12:00 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Sorry guys....

Actually, I'm 6'2". I always keep my seat all the way back. I did take my friends son and his lil' buddy for a spin a few times. These are 16 year old kids of about average height. I moved my seat up as far as I could and did the same with the passenger seat.

The kids were still pretty cramped, but dealt with it just to get a ride. If you're willing to sacrifice your own comfort for a bit, your kids will love it ! Just make sure they can get the seatbelts on them correctly.

See........I can be serious ! (and nice.........well, let's not push that one...)
Old 10-07-02, 09:42 AM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Well, I took my kids to the dealership on Saturday and they actually fit in the back seat pretty well. It seems like a fairly tall 7 year old girl fits perfect. Her legs are long enough to reach the floor comfortably without her knees coming out too far to obstruct the seat back. Now, the 4 year old is actually tougher. Since her feet can not reach the floor you run into problems. It seems she would have to go behind the passenger seat. I noticed that a 6' person (me) can scoot the passenger seat pretty far forward and give room to the back seat while maintaining a comfortable ride for the passenger. So, all that is pretty good news in the seating department.

The one negative I noticed is that it is nearly impossible to get from on of the back seats to the other without crawling on the seats. This is a little pain in the butt, however, not major. I felt the head room in the car was pretty good also once you recline the seat some. I do think that if someone starts to get much over 6' that the back seat will become impossible to use in oreder to get the driver in a reasonable position.

Overall, I am really falling in love with the SC...
Old 10-07-02, 11:28 AM
Lexozz
Lead Lap

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

The SC400/430 is not made to fit a load of people, it's a sport's car that's why they named it "SC". I wanted a SC400, but I thought about having a family that's why I got an LS400..in other words the SC400/430 is not too small it's just right for sporting, I'll get one someday as my second car.
Old 10-03-06, 10:14 AM
Gojirra99
Super Moderator

Received 218 Likes on 146 Posts

Originally Posted by whatmagame
what if the dog takes a nice big dump on the seat
His is carbroken
Old 10-03-06, 07:10 PM
gekisai29
Driver

Not useless merely not usefulas a real seat. but great for a briefcase, coat & other stuff. as somone else said we did realize this before we bought did we not?!?!

Quick Reply: Our back seat