SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Our back seat

Search this Thread

Old 09-17-02, 11:41 PM
JerseySC
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Wink Our back seat

I would just like to make some commentary about the SC430's back seat and see if anyone agrees with me:

To me, the SC430's back seat is perfect. So what if a human cannot sit back there, if you want to seat four or more then get a sedan. I basically just like the appearance of the back seat. From the rich leather to the beautiful headrests to the chrome lexus embems behind the front headrests. The car mag critics say "useless back seat'. I don't think it's so useless if you need to squeeze some extra gear in while the top's dropped. True, Lexus didn't have to make a back seat on this car but when you look at the car with it's top down I think the four headrests separates this car from all the other convertible roadsters including the new SL500. Plus the 2+2 idea which in my state lowers the insurance costs equals a win/win backseat for me! Audi TT, Z3, Z4?, SLK, Boxter, SL, ... do any of these cars have the four headrest look like we do, I don't think so. the rear seat on the new SC is perfect, I hope Lexus doesn't change it.
Old 09-18-02, 11:13 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

I like the back seat. It's perfect for my pooch when we travel. He's a 15 pound Westie and fits perfectly back there. There's also room for his carry bag of food, biscuits, a bottle of water and a few chew toys and his tennis ball. I'm serious here guys.

I also like the fact that the back of the front seats act as a barrier in the event I have to make an emergency stop.

He loves it back there !
Old 09-18-02, 11:17 AM
rcf8000
Pole Position

I agree that the back seat is not at all "useless", as most reviewers call it. We often use it for passengers for short trips. I would not put anyone back there for an appreciable length of time, of course. It adds a lot to the utility of the car.
Old 09-18-02, 01:21 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default ..and

I used to own a Z3.. it drove me nuts how I couldn't recline the front seats (no room) AND that clostraphobic feel (sp?) of nothing behind you but the top or the back panel for the top...

AS IN... I love being able to recline my seat, the feeling of space behind me... as well as being able to throw stuff back there..

...AND believe it or not, I have had my mom sitting back there when I took my folks to the airport a few times -- hehe
Old 09-18-02, 01:32 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

CeBoyd...........you made your Mom sit in the back seat ?? I hope she sends you to your room without dinner and grounds you for a week !

Is she the size of Barbie ?***

*** Please note, this comment is not meant to be offensive in any way at all. Making fun of Mothers is strictly forbidden within Italian (as well as Jewish) cultures.
Old 09-18-02, 01:45 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default ...well...

My folks needed a ride to the airport and their caravan was in the shop... my mom wanted a ride in my SC and I warned her that she or my dad would have to sit in back unless she wanted to sit on my dad's lap in front

My dad had obviously put the seat forward... and my mom is only 5'5" so that did help..

...and they packed very light (it fit in the trunk with the top down)
Old 09-18-02, 05:01 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Your folks have a minivan ??
Old 09-19-02, 12:16 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default yup....

exciting aren't they?

...dad's got a Caravan and mom's got a new 2002 Jetta TDI.... I just recently sold her 85 Jetta on ebay.... before the caravan my dad had an 81 VW Vanagon... my folks keep their cars a really REALLY long time! ..it's that old european mentality of keep it as long as possible...

The ONLY reason my mom got a new car is 'cause I convinced my folks that the new cars have so much more safetly features like air bags, anti-lock brakes, traction control, side impact beams... etc.... you know, someone's gotta worry about my folks safety!
Old 09-19-02, 01:13 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

My dad was a big time Plymouth guy. My mom never learned to drive.

You're a good son for worrying about their safety. I did the same for mine on their cars.........run flat tires, made sure they were always running properly. I even got them a cell phone in case they got stuck. I sure wish they were still around.
Old 09-20-02, 11:46 AM
alfa2600
Driver

At the least, the rear seat should have a hard cover to hide the luggage we put there. A better solution would be to fit a folding seat sideways, to hold one passenger,and then convert the front of the cabin to a bench seat with a big folding hollow armrest, to take either two three in the front. The whole huge console should be banished and the transmission controls moved to paddles or buttons on the steering wheel..

Such changes would vastly increase utility. The sideways rear seats were often seen in fancy British convertibles 1930-1960.
Old 09-20-02, 12:37 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Default hmmm...

probably a safety issue now.... considering cars back then often didn't even have seat belts!
Old 09-20-02, 01:04 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Hey Alpha.........instead of making all those changes, why don't you just ask to borrow CeBoyds folks minivan ?
Old 09-20-02, 03:17 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Talking LOL

That would be one heck-of-a-commute from NYC to Chicagoland just to borrow a mini-van.. :eek:
Old 09-21-02, 11:34 AM
Larry
Lead Lap

Gotta be cheaper than making all those changes that Alpha was talking about.......
Old 09-21-02, 02:16 PM
LexFather

I agree, the "useless" comments are actually USELESS. You think people don't notice that when they drop 70k on a car? Do they think the SC 430 replaces the Taurus as the "family car". Duh, it's a GRAND TOURER, who the hell NEEDS the back seat, but it is GREAT to have (the insurance argument for example).

Quick Reply: Our back seat