SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Steering vibration after Ichiba; Alignment question..

Search this Thread

Old 07-25-11, 03:56 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Steering vibration after Ichiba; Alignment question..

Okay guys so i did a search about this and couldn't find the answer i was looking for. I installed a a set of 25mm Ichiba spacers on the rear wheels in May, the SC developed a vibration from the rear end which was moderate when cold (when the car has been parked for he week and for the first hour of driving on the weekend), and then it becomes light(er). I decided to live with it until i installed a set of 15mm Ichibas on the front wheels last week. I then started feeling a vibration in my steering wheel which also went off center to the right and the car started pulling to the right. Got the car to an alignment shop and explained what i was feeling, he said its due to the spacers (expected answer). When we looked at the alignment, right rear wheel caster was out of tolerance and could not be rectified since the SC does not have caster adjustments due to the IRS (Independent Rear Suspension - thats what the alignment shop said at least).

Now i am lost, seems like most people if not all with spacers dont have a problem, what have i dont wrong? Spacers are hubcentric, i have not torqued them when installing since no torque specs were identified in the instructions.

I am currently in the process of getting an alignment done which will rectify my off center steering wheel atleast until i can afford a set of good wheels with proper offsets.

Your input would be much appreciated guys.

Thanks,
Moe
Old 07-25-11, 09:13 AM
cyberlexus
Pole Position

I think you should torque the spacers 80lbs and see if there's any changes
Old 07-25-11, 10:57 AM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

^^^ What he said. Torque the spacers to 80lbs. I have Ichiba 20F and 30R with no vibrations. Let us know what you find.
Old 07-25-11, 12:33 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Mine is the same, I have 25 F 35 R, I torqued the nuts that hold the spacer, 80 ft/lbs and then torqued the wheels to the spacer, 80 ft-lbs. No vibrations so far, knock on wood.

I also intend to re-check the torque especially on the spacer to the wheel-stud bolts, that's where the bolts might settle in.
Old 07-25-11, 01:12 PM
talwang

Received 26 Likes on 22 Posts

Also put 25mm to the front and see if vibration is still there.

If no vibration with 25mm in the front, check the depths of the open slots on the back of your oem wheels to see if they are deep enough to clear the remaining oem studs.

I recommended 20mm/30mm instead of 15mm/25mm years ago because my 02-05 oem wheels had slightly clearance issue with 15mm bolt-on spacers.
The 15mm wheel spacers that require you to change out your oem studs with extended ones will not have this issue.

Edit:

I missed out the part that you also had vibration from the rear. lol

You can try my diagnosis only when you still have the front steering vibration not the rear after you torque them to the right specs.

Last edited by talwang; 07-25-11 at 04:58 PM.
Old 07-25-11, 01:12 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

wow.. 80lbs sounds low for wheel studs no?
Old 07-25-11, 01:32 PM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

80 ft-lbs is all it takes to secure the bolts. No more no less.
Old 07-25-11, 03:24 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

80lbs torque is perfect. seems to me like you need to balance your wheels again. for some odd reason everysingle time i put my car on the lift i have to balance my tires.. pretty stupid and i hate it but its true. i have 20mm front and 30mm rear. i put my car in the air just to cross rotate my front tires. baddddd vibration 50+mph... rebalanced.. and all is fine again.
Old 07-27-11, 02:04 PM
I-FORCE
Driver

UPDATE:- Retorqued all spacer and lug nuts to 80LBs and checked my wheel balancing, turned out all four were off by 10-20g.. Balanced the wheels and vibration has gone

I just feel that 80ft-lbs is too little torque.. i was driving around all day waiting for one of the wheels to come off :P

Thanks alot for the help as always guys.. Much appreciated

Moe
Old 07-27-11, 04:06 PM
A1Lexis
Lexus Test Driver

Glad to hear you fixed the problem.
Old 07-27-11, 04:43 PM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If 78 lbs of torque keep the wheels on, then that should be enough to keep the spacers on. Tight is tight, too tight is broke. Glad to hear it was the balance, cause I have 25 mm spacers in the rear and have never had a problem.
Old 07-28-11, 09:36 AM
mandyfig
Forum Moderator

Over torquing remains to be the root cause of majority of wheel problems. @ 80ft-lbs, no wheel will fall off.
Old 08-07-11, 02:57 AM
I-FORCE
Driver

UPDATE:- BAD NEWS

Vibration is back, little less than before nevertheless quite noticable. Steeringwheel has gone a little off center too.

I have realised i dont quite like the way the front spacers feel.. They just majorly reduce roll and look good but the steering feels weird..

what shall i do next? I'm all out of ideas

Moe
Old 08-07-11, 03:38 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

If balancing the wheels took it away, maybe you threw a weight or two, and the caused the vibration to return. You could always take off all the spacers and see if that helps. If it does than maybe your spacers are messed up or what Talwang said about the area behind the wheel, not have enough room for the studs sticking out and the wheel is actually cocked on the spacers.
Old 02-28-12, 05:30 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

anything new on this? I have virations but it was there before my spacers now just worse at 50+ i replaced one front rim with a like new rim since my old one had been curbed and maybe slightly bent and I balanced both my wheels and the vibration is still there, do I need to balance the rears? They were balanced in Nov/Dec when I got these tires put on.

Quick Reply: Steering vibration after Ichiba; Alignment question..