SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Level of refinement/fit&finish of the SC430 is so high,maybe it can't get any higher!

Search this Thread

Old 08-04-11, 12:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Originally Posted by tfeni52355
I realize how incredible the fit, finish and quality is every time I step out of my Ford and into the SC. I don't need to drive an exotic car to "level-set" when my daily driver reminds me every time I go over a bump or around a corner...

Remember that this car was being designed and engineered in the late 1990's. Truly incredible that the design team was able to see far enough ahead to deliver a design that is so timeless and beautiful.
Of course driving a lesser car would make a nice car feel really incredible, that is the case most of the time.

But when a $205k DB9 feel pretty much the same as a $70k SC430, that $70k car is really impressive!

Imagine if your daily driver Ford is the same quality and feel the same as the 3 times as much SC430, your Ford would be very impressive.

That's how I look at it and is the point of my post.

That DB9 don't feel incredible compare to a 3 times cheaper SC430.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-04-11 at 12:33 PM.
Old 08-04-11, 07:41 PM
Peter_Klim
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by BNR34

I never even look at the stereo or NAV when I shop for a car, I just buy the best available from the factory, if is not good enough, I tell the stereo shop to make it better. When I go test drive a car, I never even turn on the stereo or NAV, it is not even a consideration point.

I am buying a car, not a stereo/NAV or TV.
same here.

Except I buy the CHEAPEST car stereo/nav. If possible, I wouldn't even buy one. And then I always buy aftermarket.

The more one spends on a factory unit, the more percentage wse they're speding too much (compared to an equivilant but usually much better after market unit).
Old 08-05-11, 05:23 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Peter_Klim
same here.

Except I buy the CHEAPEST car stereo/nav. If possible, I wouldn't even buy one. And then I always buy aftermarket.

The more one spends on a factory unit, the more percentage wse they're speding too much (compared to an equivilant but usually much better after market unit).
I'm going to ramble because this is my biggest pet peeve with the SC lol

I agree that aftermarket is almost always better but it's not a honda civic, which takes 10 minutes to install an aftermarket headunit. You shouldnt have to upgrade to get commodities, even my friend's Scion has a USB port and AUX input. To replace the nav and stereo for our cars itll cost $1,000 in labor hours alone and its even too involved for many shops. If you do get it done, then you have the steering wheel controls which wont work, voice over nav issues, and a number of other problems. Not to mention, that annoying extending antenna making motor noises when you switch stations. For these higher end cars, oem stereo/nav has to be a consideration because theyre so deeply integrated into the system. Everything else I love about the SC, it's just a shame they didn't do a nicer job on the A/V. Take a look at Jaguar's oem stereo with B&W speakers, that alone makes me wanna drive one and there's no reason to upgrade

Last edited by redliner8; 08-05-11 at 05:28 AM.
Old 08-05-11, 06:28 AM
Brian@Vossen
Former Sponsor

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Its an incredibly well built vehicle. I think it scored the lowest problems per 100 of any car ever tested, amazing for a complicated luxury convertible.
Old 08-05-11, 02:36 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by redliner8
I'm going to ramble because this is my biggest pet peeve with the SC lol

I agree that aftermarket is almost always better but it's not a honda civic, which takes 10 minutes to install an aftermarket headunit. You shouldnt have to upgrade to get commodities, even my friend's Scion has a USB port and AUX input. To replace the nav and stereo for our cars itll cost $1,000 in labor hours alone and its even too involved for many shops. If you do get it done, then you have the steering wheel controls which wont work, voice over nav issues, and a number of other problems. Not to mention, that annoying extending antenna making motor noises when you switch stations. For these higher end cars, oem stereo/nav has to be a consideration because theyre so deeply integrated into the system. Everything else I love about the SC, it's just a shame they didn't do a nicer job on the A/V. Take a look at Jaguar's oem stereo with B&W speakers, that alone makes me wanna drive one and there's no reason to upgrade
Changing the stereo/NAV arrangements is always much cheaper then changing the car

Nothing is perfect in this world, I pick the one with the least money required to spend on it to suit my needs
Old 08-05-11, 04:22 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Changing the stereo/NAV arrangements is always much cheaper then changing the car

Nothing is perfect in this world, I pick the one with the least money required to spend on it to suit my needs
Can't argue with that , i just had to vent lol

you have a really good thread going here, ive been trying to find equal to or greater interiors online and still havent
Old 08-05-11, 10:50 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Can't argue with that , i just had to vent lol
Yeah I mean a pretty decent stereo/NAV set up installed is a few thousands bucks. You can't even add refinements, NVH and build quality. I guess you can stitch weld the chassis, chassis braces, dynamat the entire interior, suspension, wheels/tires.......etc. Each one of those items are a few thousand bucks.

you have a really good thread going here, ive been trying to find equal to or greater interiors online and still havent
In my opinions, the cheapest cars with nicer interior then our SC430 are Continential GT, Aston Martin Vantage and Audi R8. I checked out a brand new 650i today, it is very nice, I say it is on par, it mostly just look more modern. The current MB SL is very outdated with low grade material, I expect the next generation SL will be nicer.
Old 08-07-11, 04:50 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

I am a road warrior. I travel every week. That means LOTS of rental cars. All you have to do to truly appreciate how special your SC is, is to drive in a Toyota Corolla with 29K miles on it like I did this past week. When you sit behind the wheel of the SC on the way home, you smile from ear to ear.
Old 08-10-11, 09:34 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The only problem I find is age. They have improved so many parts of cars in the last ten years the SC even in 2010 form is too outdated to compare well. It is an achievement that my 03 was built so well that I can easily forgive what it lacks, but these are still old cars, and were king of their day, but not today.
Old 08-10-11, 10:47 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
The only problem I find is age. They have improved so many parts of cars in the last ten years the SC even in 2010 form is too outdated to compare well. It is an achievement that my 03 was built so well that I can easily forgive what it lacks, but these are still old cars, and were king of their day, but not today.
I am only talking about refinements, NVH, build quality and material........those qualities don't age.

Let's compare the SC430 vs. a 2011 IS350C. About 8 years differences in age but 2 totally different level of cars. Entry level luxury vs. top of the line.

The only thing missing or outdated from the SC430 is stuff like NAV/stereo, keyless entry/push button start, and cooling seats. But the overall feel of the IS350C is substantially less then the SC430. It feel much less solid, much less substantial, thinner carpet, less sounds deadening material, the leather is less soft, much less wood inside, smaller cabin. Even when the new more advanced V6 make the same peak power then the old 430 V8, it still make much less low end torque, it is less smooth and don't sounds anything near as cool.

Autoblog's post about the video of the new F10 M5 sums up what I am trying to say:

"You don't care about the outer skin. You don't care that it has Bluetooth. You've given a whiff of concern about what sound system it comes equipped with. No, you want to know what's going on under the body work, behind the wheels, beneath the hood and below the interior. You love engineering details, and BMWBlog has put together a trio of videos to feed your fix."
Old 08-10-11, 10:57 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KaiserSea1
Another example is 2000 LS400 vs. 2012 Camry XLE V6.

Even though the LS400 is totally outdated in features and amenities, it still drive wayyyy nicer and feel way more substantial then a brand new Camry.

A good analogy is comparing an outdated old 6 stars hotel with only a clock radio as entertainment to a brand new state of the art 2 stars motel with all the latest electronics and amenities. While the new stuff is more fun, the old quality stuff would always feels much nicer.

Is all personal preference. But I rather have a 10 years old Bentley then a brand new Lexus
Old 08-10-11, 10:59 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
I am a road warrior. I travel every week. That means LOTS of rental cars. All you have to do to truly appreciate how special your SC is, is to drive in a Toyota Corolla with 29K miles on it like I did this past week. When you sit behind the wheel of the SC on the way home, you smile from ear to ear.
That is for sure
Old 08-11-11, 10:55 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 413 Likes on 362 Posts

Originally Posted by 76210Guy

That is for sure
+2 on that. I've had the same experience. Try getting stuck in a Corolla or a HHR for a week. You'll know that you are back home when you slide back into your SC.