SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Level of refinement/fit&finish of the SC430 is so high,maybe it can't get any higher!

Search this Thread

Old 07-30-11, 10:15 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Level of refinement/fit&finish of the SC430 is so high,maybe it can't get any higher!

Lately I am starting to explore more and more into higher level of cars and it made me realized how high Lexus pushed the refinements, NVH, build quality and material of our SC430. The SC430 is really amazing!

After you drive the SC430 and get into a lesser car like the IS350C or Infiniti G37 convertible, you instantly can tell they are more inferior, they feel less solid, less substantial, lower quality with the interior full of plastic, low grade leather and very little wood coverage. The point of this post for everyone who don't want to read my entire post is, after driving a $205k Aston Martin DB9 convertible, the SC430 don't feel much inferior at all, which really show the quality of the SC430.

Before I have driven 2008 BMW M6, 2010 AMG SL63, 2009 Jaguar XKR level of cars.........and none of those cars I feel are superior to the SC430, they just have more power and badge image. I actually feel the SL63 got a lesser interior and the SMG tranny in the M6 is aweful, it really kills the driving experience. The XKR is pretty cool, but I think the interior is the same level as the SC430 at best. Those car's MSRP range from $100k (M6) to $150k (SL63).

Then I take it up a notch, I went to check out the Maserati Grancabrio. I never like the exterior styling of that car and I was so turn off by how the interior looks and feels, I didn't bother to drive it. It sounds pretty cool though from all the cars I hear on the street, it "almost" sounds like a Ferrari from that detuned/de-content V8 from Ferrari. That car is ~$165k. When I got back into my SC430, it actually feels nicer inside due to the very smooth and soft leather, the leather in the Grancabrio got a very coarse grain that feels kind of rough, I think is intentional, it is some kind of special Italian leather, but then the leather in the Ferrari California and 458 is very smooth and soft, so it is not an Italian thing. So I don't know what to make of it.

Which come to the point of this post, I test drove a 2009 Aston Martin DB9 Volante today, MSRP is $205k, it got a 5.9L V12 with 470hp/440lb-ft and a 6-speed auto with torque converter. Of course this is comparing to my 06' SC430. Exterior wise it is much longer looking, much lower and sleeker, it sure is more elegant and stylish looking........and it does look more expensive. Interior wise, fit and finish looks slightly better, but this one I drove had matte finish wood panels which I always think look cheaper then the glossy wood finish, also no wood trim on the steering wheel, which I understand is because Aston is more on the sporty side, but the DB9 is really a luxury GT, I feel wood trim on the steering wheel is appropriate and necessary. Gauges are very neat, got a very expensive metallic look to it, like a fine Rolex watch. Other switches don't feel any nicer then the SC430.

On the driving experience, the V12 of course is smoother then the SC430's V8, but not by much. The biggest difference is really just the power, it got 170 hp/120 lb-ft more, you sure can feel that difference, it got a much more satisfying push. That is one of the biggest thing the SC430 is short on.....power, 300 hp is really pretty low now a days, but then the SC430 came out on 2002, and is only a $70k luxury car. The DB9's 6-speeds auto actually feel a hair smoother and shift a bit quicker, but then it could be because the DB9 I drove only have 200 miles on the odometer and my SC430 got 55k miles. Suspension wise, very compliance yet extremely composed, the suspension on the SC430 is my biggest complain, it is too underdamped yet ride harsh from the run flat tires. The coolest thing I think from the DB9 is the more exotic noises that V12 makes, cylinder count is everything when it comes to noise making and it makes great sounds! The exhaust is much louder then a stock SC430, but it still could be a little louder, I think the exhaust from the DBS would probably be perfect.

The coolest thing from my test drive is, after just driving a $205k car, getting back into my SC430 don't feel much of a down grade at all. Going down the road casually without a lot of throttle, the DB9 don't feel much difference then the SC430, they are equally as smooth, as solid and as refined. Go try drive a LS460 and a Corolla back to back and see how much lesser the Corolla feels? That's my point.

At the end, I love my SC430. Would I own a $200k+ car some day if I can afford it? Sure I would. But until then, I am totally content with my lowly Japanese car (compare to $200k+ Euro cars) that sure is very impressive.

What about you guys, any exotic cars comparison you want to share?

Last edited by BNR34; 08-01-11 at 09:07 AM.
The following users liked this post:
finallyayo (05-04-24)
Old 07-30-11, 10:41 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

The main point of my post is, all cars more expensive then the SC430 just give you more power, more exotic noises, more prestige/image/bragging rights, more expensive styling. None of them really give you any higher refinements, NVH and build quality. SC430 is probably already maxed out in those areas humanly possible.

Which is good and bad, good is we can just spend SC430's money and enjoy world class refinements. Bad is, when we do have money for an upgrade, it doesn't really feel much nicer regardless of how much more you spend. I won't be surprise if the Veyron or One-77 level of cars don't feel any nicer inside if your eyes are close They are just way faster!
Old 07-31-11, 08:25 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Very informative post BNR34, I never got the chance to drive any of the cars you described, but I can say that my SC is my first Lexus, and I really love everything about it (style, finish and quality of materials). Glad to see that it favorably compares to the top cabrios out there!

Thanks for the great review!

Joaquin
Old 07-31-11, 08:54 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

Great points I agree with you 100% Our cars were even hand built the first couple of years. The interior on our cars is comparable to british styled Bentleys and Rolls Royces. I love the stitching on our door panels and center consoles. The amount of real wood on the dash and doors and my fav the power wood radio and nav doors. The only interior upgrades i would change would be push button start on the shifter lol, Metal paddle shifters, Leather stitched dash to match the center and doors, brushed metal on the center console and ac controls instead of the cheap plastic. I love the interior on the new GS
Old 07-31-11, 10:40 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by GammaLex
Great points I agree with you 100% Our cars were even hand built the first couple of years. The interior on our cars is comparable to british styled Bentleys and Rolls Royces. I love the stitching on our door panels and center consoles. The amount of real wood on the dash and doors and my fav the power wood radio and nav doors. The only interior upgrades i would change would be push button start on the shifter lol, Metal paddle shifters, Leather stitched dash to match the center and doors, brushed metal on the center console and ac controls instead of the cheap plastic. I love the interior on the new GS
The interior is really one of the most important part of a highend luxury car, so I have studied and compare the SC430 to the world's finest cars. For wood coverage, the SC430 got more wood then all the SL and XKR, even the base model Continental GT have less wood coverage, only when you add all the available wood trim options on the Contin-GT then it beat the SC430. Also wood trims on the steering wheel is standard on the SC430, it is optional and very rare to find on the Conti-GT. The Conti-GT is roughly a $200k car. Only when you get to the $300k+ RR Ghost, Bentley Mulsanne and of course the $400k+ RR Phantom, then the SC430 truely look lower grade, that is impressive, our SC is only $70k new! Leather grade in the SC430 is also top notch, I can hardly find any car that come with softer leather. The only thing missing in the SC430 is leather coverage on the top and bottom part of the door panels and on top of the dash. And like you mention, metal instead of plastic on the center console and AC control. But it takes a $325k Bentley Mulsanne to have that level of finishing.

It really blow my mind how much Toyota put into a $70k car! I think it is due to the SC430 was designed during Toyota's golden era, Toyota was making huge amount of money and is at the top of the world. So they went above and beyond when they design their most expensive coupe.

So to all you SC430 owners, take good care of your car and cherish it. I am lucky to be living in an area where exotic cars are readily available to look at and drive, to let me realized how favorable the SC430 compare to much more expensive cars. We are not missing much at all other then prestige and image.
Old 07-31-11, 10:43 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by scyul
Very informative post BNR34, I never got the chance to drive any of the cars you described, but I can say that my SC is my first Lexus, and I really love everything about it (style, finish and quality of materials). Glad to see that it favorably compares to the top cabrios out there!

Thanks for the great review!

Joaquin
You made a great choice Joaquin and you are welcome
Old 07-31-11, 02:46 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I love our interior. People usually talk about how the exterior of the car is but forget that we spend most of our time in the inside of cars.
Old 07-31-11, 04:16 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
I love our interior. People usually talk about how the exterior of the car is but forget that we spend most of our time in the inside of cars.
I could not agree more. I love the interior of this car more than I liked the interior of either my E or SL Class Mercedes, my Infiniti Q45, my BMW, any other car I've owned.

Old 08-01-11, 02:47 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by 76210Guy
I could not agree more. I love the interior of this car more than I liked the interior of either my E or SL Class Mercedes, my Infiniti Q45, my BMW, any other car I've owned.

The car I owned before the SC was an Audi TT DSG S-line Coupe... So much for luxury!

Nice fit and finish but not really my type... I realized this when I first sat in a SC!
Old 08-01-11, 06:34 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

This is very informative. Sometimes you get used to the SC430's interior-exterior and the you read a post like this and you fall in love all over again.
Old 08-01-11, 09:15 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by mandyfig
This is very informative. Sometimes you get used to the SC430's interior-exterior and the you read a post like this and you fall in love all over again.
This is why I go check out and drive exotic cars, because I drive my SC430 all the time and start to get used to it, don't feel it is special anymore. Then I see all the Bentleys, Aston Martins and Ferraris on the street and think they must feel that much better because they cost 2, 3, 4 times as much. Well they don't, they just looks cooler and faster, but really don't feel much better.

Which make me love my SC430 again.

Which is also the reason why you see so many truely wealthy people driving SC430 because they know it is just as good as an exotic cars
Old 08-01-11, 11:28 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default From the bottom up!

I realize how incredible the fit, finish and quality is every time I step out of my Ford and into the SC. I don't need to drive an exotic car to "level-set" when my daily driver reminds me every time I go over a bump or around a corner...

Remember that this car was being designed and engineered in the late 1990's. Truly incredible that the design team was able to see far enough ahead to deliver a design that is so timeless and beautiful.
Old 08-04-11, 06:01 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

100% agreed BNR34!
Old 08-04-11, 11:58 AM
KaseZome
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

This is our first Lexus and I have to agree that the fit and finish is amazing. I do wish that the navigation system was more advanced though. For the same year my (now sold) '08 Evo X MR had a far superior navigation system from both the hardware and software perspectives.
Old 08-04-11, 12:09 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by KaseZome
This is our first Lexus and I have to agree that the fit and finish is amazing. I do wish that the navigation system was more advanced though. For the same year my (now sold) '08 Evo X MR had a far superior navigation system from both the hardware and software perspectives.
You can upgrade the NAV easily and inexpensively to anything you want from all the aftermarket options.

You can't add refinements, NVH, build quality, material quality and grace Well you could, but is much cheaper to just buy a nicer car.

I never even look at the stereo or NAV when I shop for a car, I just buy the best available from the factory, if is not good enough, I tell the stereo shop to make it better. When I go test drive a car, I never even turn on the stereo or NAV, it is not even a consideration point.

I am buying a car, not a stereo/NAV or TV.

Another car I currently own is a 04' WRX STi, it didn't even come with a radio My stereo shop added everything I want to it.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-04-11 at 12:23 PM.

Quick Reply: Level of refinement/fit&finish of the SC430 is so high,maybe it can't get any higher!