SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Has anyone ever adjusted their door's window glass?

Search this Thread

Old 08-06-11, 05:39 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Has anyone ever adjusted their door's window glass?

Sorry for the shout out...

I've reviewed and read any of the printed materials for adjusting the door windows, but I am wondering if anyone has actually done this on their own.

I've played with this on my own a few times and can't seem to figure out how to adjust for the height of the window.

For context, I need to replace the 'triangle' weatherstripping that split again after 4 months. The first time I had it done by a dealer, but they didn't align the window as well as I wanted near the door pillar, so I did it myself.

This time however the installation is not going to be covered by them (though I got the part for free) and I wanted to adjust the height so it doesn't protrude up into the triangle as much as it did before.

I guess I'm looking for a tutorial and if I missed it in a site search, I apologize in advance to the group.

Thanks!
Old 08-06-11, 06:27 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

So you've read the posts in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-2.html (Post #19) and the instructions in the overhaul PDF that tell you how to adjust the glass and check the measurements?
Old 08-06-11, 09:39 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
So you've read the posts in this thread: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...d-noise-2.html (Post #19) and the instructions in the overhaul PDF that tell you how to adjust the glass and check the measurements?
I have several times. It's great but for some reason I cannot get the glass to align like my passenger window. I must be missing something...

Thanks
Old 08-07-11, 09:59 AM
sixonemale
Intermediate

Received 32 Likes on 29 Posts

Originally Posted by nwcn98
Sorry for the shout out...

I've reviewed and read any of the printed materials for adjusting the door windows, but I am wondering if anyone has actually done this on their own.

I've played with this on my own a few times and can't seem to figure out how to adjust for the height of the window.

For context, I need to replace the 'triangle' weatherstripping that split again after 4 months. The first time I had it done by a dealer, but they didn't align the window as well as I wanted near the door pillar, so I did it myself.

This time however the installation is not going to be covered by them (though I got the part for free) and I wanted to adjust the height so it doesn't protrude up into the triangle as much as it did before.

I guess I'm looking for a tutorial and if I missed it in a site search, I apologize in advance to the group.

Thanks!
There's a very fine line in aligning the window as you're probably aware. If the window does not close high enough, the rubber 'triangle weatherstripping will last a long time before cracking, but may result in slight wind noise and if it closes to high, the shelf life of the weatherstripping is very short.

I had the dealer put on the rubber 'triangle' weatherstripping once and it lasted about 3-6 months, so the next time they replaced it for free and realigned the window to where now I do get very slight wind noise vs. no wind noise at all the time before that. I think if the window closed just a 1/16" higher it would be probably be just right and result in no wind noise vs. 1/8" higher would probably result in no wind noise, but may cause the weatherstripping to tear again in a short period of time.

Good luck and let us know how long it takes you and the difficultly of this job.

Last edited by sixonemale; 08-07-11 at 10:33 AM.
Old 08-07-11, 03:35 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

I'm going to try it today