SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Progress on Luxlink: The Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-07-11, 05:40 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
The remote top and remote start is a tricky one. Any tips??
It is truly a matter of timing. Press unlock and wait for the long beep-You then have 2 seconds to hit lock twice. If you miss the 2 second timing, only the remote top will work. Thats because if you stop at the long beep-that lowers the top and not the remote start. AND if you also want the doors unlocked, you also need to press unlock after that sequence. I must say that this old man get the sequence timing right 90% of the time. It will become habit. BTW, my 10% that gets the timing wrong is usually because I'm too far from the car. If I'm 10 feet from the car it would work 100% of the time. It was funny when Steve was trouble shooting my problems (over the phone) before he took my sc in-he could hear on the phone when I had a perfect sequence. As I have said too many times--The BEST mod EVER!!!

John
Old 09-08-11, 10:21 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
It is truly a matter of timing. Press unlock and wait for the long beep-You then have 2 seconds to hit lock twice. If you miss the 2 second timing, only the remote top will work. Thats because if you stop at the long beep-that lowers the top and not the remote start. AND if you also want the doors unlocked, you also need to press unlock after that sequence.

John
I thought Steve said somewhere that he was going to open that window up a little bit while he was tweaking the programming on the new ones, to make that function more reliable. Don't know if he did or not. Maybe I just imagined that conversation during one of my many heroin-induced hazes.
Old 09-08-11, 10:37 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

He told me it was 2 seconds. Anyway 2 or 5 is still a quick thumb!

John
Old 09-08-11, 11:26 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I've posted the high resolution of the PDF I wrote at the address below.

http://www.mediafire.com/?vboin54l2tor6iu

The file is 46 megs ...
Thanks for this great diy VVTibob.

I wonder if you or any of the clever guys(and girls) on CL would know if there is any difference on the install for an SC with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
Patiently waiting for my Luxlink to arrive and I am hoping to install it myself.

Any info would be appreciated.

Best regards
Steve
Old 09-08-11, 11:39 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Incase anyone needs install done in the central florida area im taking my car to Audio Itch in Tampa tomorrow, ill report back with the length of time and how good of a job they did. I can also ask how much they would charge someone for the job, they owed me some work so Im getting it done free
Old 09-08-11, 02:18 PM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

I suppose the only way to check is get the EWD for European cars with RHD vs North American cars with LHD and compare the wiring schematics. I think the toughest part of the install, once you understand Steve's instructions are:
Contorting yourself so you can see what you're doing up under the dash when making connection between the LL and car
Getting the immobilizer wire coil properly wrapped around the ignition switch
Manipulating the carpet back far on the Driver side kickplate area to have enough room to work with WHILE being contorted in some very uncomfortable positions.
Old 09-08-11, 06:19 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Just another update guys I sucessfully programed a 12 dollar key from ebay without it being cut to use for the luxlink remote start. This is great because not only did I not have to spend money on having it programed but now its impossible for someone to find the key and drive off with the car. Followed these instructions:
Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
2. Insert an already programmed master key into the ignition.
3. Turn the key from the OFF to On and back OFF FIVE (5) times.
4. Open and close the drivers door SIX (6) times.
5. Remove the key from the ignition.
6. Insert the new key you want to program into the ignition.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

HOWEVER I went as fast as possible. So OFF to ON 5 times fast then 6 open and close of door as fast as I could and then I did wait until the light stopped blinking and then I pulled the key out. I can tell its programed because now when I put the key in the ignition (it does not go in all the way) the security light turns off just like if I was using my master key.

Hope this helps someone!
Old 09-09-11, 05:01 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by robertrios
Just another update guys I sucessfully programed a 12 dollar key from ebay without it being cut to use for the luxlink remote start. This is great because not only did I not have to spend money on having it programed but now its impossible for someone to find the key and drive off with the car. Followed these instructions:
Key Programming
1. Close all doors.
7. Wait 1 minute. The security light will be blinking for this one minute. When it stops blinking your key is programmed. To end programming step on brake one time.

HOWEVER I went as fast as possible. So OFF to ON 5 times fast then 6 open and close of door as fast as I could and then I did wait until the light stopped blinking and then I pulled the key out. I can tell its programed because now when I put the key in the ignition (it does not go in all the way) the security light turns off just like if I was using my master key.

Hope this helps someone!
Another way you could check is take apart a working key and install the new key's electronics in the cut key and then go start the car. It should work. Then put back or just keep it the way it is.
Old 09-09-11, 05:04 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

how do you take apart the small key without the remote, dosent look as easy, I was going to try that but I didnt want to tear it up doing so, the security light wouldnt turn off though if it wasnt programed.
Old 09-09-11, 06:26 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I suppose the only way to check is get the EWD for European cars with RHD vs North American cars with LHD and compare the wiring schematics. I think the toughest part of the install, once you understand Steve's instructions are:
Contorting yourself so you can see what you're doing up under the dash when making connection between the LL and car
Getting the immobilizer wire coil properly wrapped around the ignition switch
Manipulating the carpet back far on the Driver side kickplate area to have enough room to work with WHILE being contorted in some very uncomfortable positions.
This description (and it will be required) of the scope is making me cringe. Working on the AL pedal plates was hard enough. I am not that young.

I compare this to working on a tight undersink space, trying to replace plumbing stuff. Something that I want to avoid doing in the future.

Time to look for a shop who can do the LL.
Old 09-09-11, 06:30 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.

Hope this helps someone!
Thanks for the info. I have a blank that I need to do this with.
Old 09-09-11, 06:30 AM
mandyfig

Received 415 Likes on 365 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Thanks for this great diy VVTibob.

I wonder if you or any of the clever guys(and girls) on CL would know if there is any difference on the install for an SC with the steering wheel on the wrong side.
Patiently waiting for my Luxlink to arrive and I am hoping to install it myself.

Any info would be appreciated.

Best regards
Steve
Steve,

Good luck to you as we know you will offer tips, advice, etc., if you do the install.

Nice little project I hope to be in.

Mandy
Old 09-09-11, 08:23 AM
VVTiBob

Received 267 Likes on 203 Posts

To clarify the timing issue on the following procedure:

Key Programming
1. Close all doors.

Hope this helps someone!
Steps 3 and 4 must be completed within 35 seconds. Then step 5 and 6 follow and must be completed within the following 10 seconds.

You must be careful in your counts of the completed actions in steps three and four above. If you miscount and add one additional key on/off to six (6) times AND one additional door open and close to seven (7) times you will erase the key rather than program it. The erasure happens when you pull the master key out.

If you don't pull the key out of the lock within the allotted 10 seconds the erasure action is canceled.
Old 09-09-11, 09:15 AM
SteadyEddy
Instructor

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

how do you take apart the small key without the remote, dosent look as easy, I was going to try that but I didnt want to tear it up doing so, the security light wouldnt turn off though if it wasnt programed.
Robertrios, you my friend are so right. It has been a while since I did my key. You can't take apart the valet key. What I did was take the electronics out a working key and put it away from the garage, I then took the electronicless key and put it with the new valet key and did the sequence, then you could check to see if the new electronics and the old cut key worked, in starting the car. After I started it a couple of times I put back the electronics in the old key. Sorry for any mix-up.
Old 09-09-11, 11:45 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

so my car has been at audio itch since 9am drove by and its still in the garage its almost 3...i only had 4 hours of free labor but i guess I wouldnt mind shelling some money to them as long as its all done right. On the upsdie they havent called me so they are either making progress or talking to Steve. Ill let you all know the outcome!

Quick Reply: Progress on Luxlink: The Test