SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Progress on Luxlink: The Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-10-11, 10:46 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

everything is working except when i try to roll down the 1/4 windows with the top up they come down an then just come back up could it be hooked up wrong? I didnt think so since they can come down with the top down im puzzeled
Old 09-10-11, 11:52 AM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Great news mandy!

Huy-we must not be going to lock lock quick enough. I too wait for the beep to finish and the windows coming down grab my attention. I need to go straight to the lock lock. Also I wonder if we are not close enough to the car? I'm 6 for 10 documented success of both, so I need to keep working on my technique!
Yup that's what I was thinking too sir. Oh how the Luxlink has changed us.
Old 09-10-11, 04:47 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Default Luxlink owners do this!

Any Luxlink owner who thinks that their luxlink isn't working correctly, carefully follow this test. I did it 10x without any failures. The first 5x I locked the car with only the power door lock and the last 5x I used the remote lock so that the alarm would be armed. Remember if you don't lock it with the remote, your alarm will NOT be armed but your sc will be locked.

TEST TERMS:
Entry sequence (ent seq): Car is locked w/top up
press the following on your remote:
unlock until long beep is heard-within 2 seconds of hearing the long beep and the window starts to lower-press lock-lock-unlock

Exit sequence (ex seq): press dash bottom 2x (WAIT UNTIL CLOSE LIGHT ON SWITCH LIGHTS UP)-Remove key-open door-press power door lock on door. (Note to Bob-I suspect your problem is that perhaps that light wasn't on yet when you took out the key and opened the door)

Test #1:
1. DO the above (ent seq)
2. Get in car
3. Turn key to on position
4. Put car in reverse, then drive, then park
5. Do the above (ex seq)--You can press the lock on your remote rather than pressing the power lock switch on the door.

Test #2:
1. Wait until your headlights shut off before repeating test 1

Summary: Using what I did here (learned from Steve) I got 100% success from all 10 tests.

Quick tip: If your car is running and you don't want to wait until luxlink times itself out-do this: Put your key in the drivers door and turn 3x counterclockwise and it will shut off your car immediately.

Hope you get 100% like me. Please let me know how it works for you. BTW, the luxlink isn't quite as finicky as your sc is. The deal about opening the door too early is what lexus uses for the auto-headlights so luxlink has to deal with those type of things. Our Sc's are pretty complicated cars!

Hope this helps-Now go do your test and report back to me. (oops, I'm thinking of my day job!)

John
Old 09-10-11, 04:58 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I just went out for an afternoon cruise today in Dallas...beautiful sunny day but warm and played with the LL some more. I was one for four on getting both sequences to work!!! I'm very frustrated. I'm going to call Steve and see if he can help.

I tried the above sequence to the exact directions and I'm 1 out of 4 tries today.

Question: Do you need to wait till the windows stop at their resting point? For my car they are about 1/3 the way open.

Question: Do you have to have a previous successful luxlink exit sequence to have a successful entry combo start + top drop sequence? Meaning if you just were driving top up, normal driving and exited by manually locking will you be able to do this? I believe Steve and our installer said that a remote lock will not work to start a successful sequence...just confirming all the details.

I am going right now to try...I will record it on my phone too and post it.
Old 09-10-11, 05:12 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Question: Do you need to wait till the windows stop at their resting point? For my car they are about 1/3 the way open.

Question: Do you have to have a previous successful luxlink exit sequence to have a successful entry combo start + top drop sequence? Meaning if you just were driving top up, normal driving and exited by manually locking will you be able to do this? I believe Steve and our installer said that a remote lock will not work to start a successful sequence...just confirming all the details.
Question 1: I think that is your problem--My windows are down 1 or 2 inches--You are holding unlock down too long.

Question 2: How you lock your car is irrelvant. Luxlink starts anew each time you start up the car. That is why, during my test the first 5 tests were done with the power lock on the door and the last 5 were all with lock on the remote.

Don't forget that after you press the dash button (top close) -WAIT until the light comes on before removing the key and opening the drivers door.

John
Old 09-10-11, 05:29 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Let me correct myself in the last post. If you open the door BEFORE you take the key out, luxlink will NOT work the next time you start the car.

Sorry about that omission.--John
Old 09-10-11, 05:54 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Solman
Let me correct myself in the last post. If you open the door BEFORE you take the key out, luxlink will NOT work the next time you start the car.

Sorry about that omission.--John
Hi John,

While I did not order/get a LL, you have been very great on helping people understand & use their systems.

Kudos to you!!!!!

I think it is sort of like when you bring your first-born home from the hospital; life has changed and you need to learn some new things. Sometimes that just take a litle time with some bumps in the road. ( pun )

JerryBaumchen
Old 09-10-11, 07:20 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by JerryB
Hi John,

While I did not order/get a LL, you have been very great on helping people understand & use their systems.
Thanks Jerry, but my motives were not so pure. I talked Steve into going back into production, mostly because I hope to always own an SC430 and wanted to make sure I wasn't caught without the luxlink. I had my sc for only a week when he installed mine and I think it is that good. I would still own the sc, even without the LL, but just the 2 tap button means to NOT have to hold that button down for 30 sec every time you want the top up or down. The remote function is icing on the cake. That said I feel badly people appear to have problems with its functions. I just got back from running errands and put the top up/down 8 times without incident, so I'm confused why anyone is having a problem. I am hoping they just have to get use to the sequence.

Good to hear from you Jerry-Next time you're in SoCal stop in again. Next time we take your car lol.

John
Old 09-10-11, 09:00 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I was just one for three.... I will try not holding down unlock as long. I definitely wait till the red light comes on before I take the key out and I will make sure of the tip on not opening door before I take the key out. thanks!!! More practice tomorrow
Old 09-11-11, 12:04 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
I suppose the only way to check is get the EWD for European cars with RHD vs North American cars with LHD and compare the wiring schematics. I think the toughest part of the install, once you understand Steve's instructions are:
Contorting yourself so you can see what you're doing up under the dash when making connection between the LL and car
Getting the immobilizer wire coil properly wrapped around the ignition switch
Manipulating the carpet back far on the Driver side kickplate area to have enough room to work with WHILE being contorted in some very uncomfortable positions.
Thanks for the advice VVTiBob

This install is frightening the hell out of me at the moment. I will probably wait until the winter when the car is in the garage for a few months and attempt it when I have no rush to complete it.
Hopefully I will have got all the info required(and a young supple person to help) by then.

Best regards
Steve
Old 09-11-11, 12:08 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Steve,

Good luck to you as we know you will offer tips, advice, etc., if you do the install.

Nice little project I hope to be in.

Mandy
Thanks Mandy

I think I will need all the luck I can muster. I have no problem around the mechanical bits, but this looks pretty challenging, although I do have a thirty year old soldering iron!!! lol

Best regards

Steve
Old 09-11-11, 04:26 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Any more problems with LL? Anyone try the tests?

John
Old 09-11-11, 04:37 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

i havent tried the test yet but i still cant get the 1/4 windows down if the top is up but here it is today
Attached Thumbnails Progress on Luxlink: The Test-lexusjade.jpg  
Old 09-11-11, 05:36 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by robertrios
i havent tried the test yet but i still cant get the 1/4 windows down if the top is up but here it is today
Did you try turning off the car and restart after about 1 minute and then try the windows. If that doesn't work, I'd call Steve-might be the installation.

John
Old 09-11-11, 07:34 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Hey Robert......

I don't know about the rear windows, but that's one heck of a mast sticking out car! or should I say...

Quick Reply: Progress on Luxlink: The Test