SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Progress on Luxlink: The Test

Search this Thread

Old 09-15-11, 10:26 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Who did your install? Who said Bestbuy can do it?
wbrewster got his done at Best Buy: https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...-and-play.html

wbrewster: "Best Buy charged $450 but underestimated it. It took 8 hours. They get $85/hr. I used the Emeryville, CA store. They do outstanding work. I have used them many times."
Old 09-15-11, 01:42 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Thanks. That's an option I want to check out.
Old 09-15-11, 02:11 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Mandyfig,

No hood switch, just the shock sensor.
Old 09-15-11, 02:29 PM
Stompor
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Who did your install? Who said Bestbuy can do it?
I had mine installed at Audio Northwest in Olympia WA, I wouldn't buy a pack of gum from Best Buy, they would want to sell and extended warranty with it.
Old 09-15-11, 03:24 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Mandyfig,

No hood switch, just the shock sensor.
Thanks. There was some discussion about this on Steve's FB.
Old 09-16-11, 03:19 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

Now that I am practicing the key out before door open requirement, my success rate is 100%
Old 09-16-11, 04:05 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

Same here...saw your post on FB too. I'm one for two today, but first time was me not doing the key right after not driving it for five days I kinda forgot! Second time perfect. First time was just a remote start, which is fine for 70% of my drives from the garage since sometimes it may be too hot or rainy or whatever.

This is a very very important point about the sequence about removing the key!
Old 09-18-11, 10:37 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Two for two yesterday. Hate to admit it but it was the first time I had been successful at all! I'd been able to get the top to work alone. The remote start alone, but never in concert. The thing is a crowd pleaser too! Was at PetCo and the parking lot was full of folks and they stopped and watched. Little boost is all I need now and again.

Old 09-18-11, 10:42 AM
scdroptop

Nice! It's totally the way you exit (specifically the key removal) the car I'm convinced. I've gotten mine to work even after I've locked with remote. I actually think I'll use the remote start and the two button top up/down the most. I don't always want to drop the top and start from my garage leaving the house.

Were the dogs impressed at Petco, or just humans?
Old 09-18-11, 11:36 AM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
Were the dogs impressed at Petco, or just humans?
Ha! Just the humans, the dogs were more interested in my dog Milo!

Just got back from some quick errands: the Depot, Lowes and Kroger. Three for three. I find that if I don't try to really go FAST on the Unlock-Unlock sequence it works better. I think I have the rhythm down now.

A guy working outside at the Depot asked me to do it again for his buddy he called from the Garden department. He has a bunch of trick stuff on his HUMONGOUS dually F350 pickemup! Remote sunroof, windows and a power step. But he thought the LLink was ultra cool.
Old 09-18-11, 06:33 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Well the comments on this thread sure changed in a week. Glad it turned out to be just the proper key sequence. I've now been using LL for over 3 years and still get a kick out of people watching as the roof goes up or down. I'm embarrassed to say this, but a couple of years ago I was sitting in a Dairy Queen with very dark tinted front window where I sat. From the table right by the window, I closed and opened the roof while people stared and tried to figure how the roof was going up and down without anyone in sight-HILARIOUS!! Yeah, I already know I have too much time on my hands. Its also fun to be closer to hear comments. Have fun guys-This is a buy you wont regret.

John
Old 09-19-11, 04:59 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
I've now been using LL for over 3 years and still get a kick out of people watching as the roof goes up or down. I'm embarrassed to say this, but a couple of years ago I was sitting in a Dairy Queen with very dark tinted front window where I sat. From the table right by the window, I closed and opened the roof while people stared and tried to figure how the roof was going up and down without anyone in sight-HILARIOUS!!
Closed AND open?? You're just playing with those people!

My best story: I have my LuxLink also hooked up to a cell phone so I can activate it from afar and the top will be completely down and ready to drive when I get there.

On this day, I called the car to put the top down and was coming around the corner. I saw the ticket writer standing next to my car, but just standing there (highly unusual in Washington, D.C. where they LOVE to write tickets). I sprinted up to her and she said she was just about to start writing the ticket when the top started going down. She said it scared the crap out of her because she had not even realized it was a convertible. I apologized, jumped in and got out of there. Saved me $25!
Old 09-19-11, 06:32 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

how did you get it hooked up to the cell?
Old 09-19-11, 09:54 AM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts

I drove the SC yesterday and it was warm out, so I use the LL as much as I can. Now that I know what I am suppose to do, my success rate is 100%, finally I know how to use it. I am so happy

I can't imagined how they could have sold the LL at the dealership to the general public with so many requirements you have to pay attention to. Some old folks would never remember how to use it! I think John mentioned the other day that an owner of a SC430 he looked at can't even figure out he has to hold down the top button in order to operate the top

Last edited by BNR34; 09-19-11 at 01:49 PM.
Old 09-19-11, 12:17 PM
scdroptop

Greatness...love all the luxlink stories!

Yeah, the targeted demographic Lexus had in mind for this car probably didn't include folks that could work this mod!

Quick Reply: Progress on Luxlink: The Test