SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Progress on Luxlink: The Test

Search this Thread

Old 10-28-11, 07:03 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Just received my Luxlink. I got the full package with rear window control and shock sensor. I need to study the instructions and posts and decide if I attempt the install myself or have it done in a shop. I am thinking I'll do the tail lights first DIY and work my way up.
Old 10-29-11, 05:27 AM
KaiserSea1
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by JohnnyCake
While logical, this has not been my experience at all. You must be substantially closer to the car for the LL to activate than just for the unlock.
You know a few more steps and you could just push the button on the dash
Old 10-29-11, 07:51 AM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

^SlvBllt The rear tail light mod is 1million times easier than LuxLink, Im pro DIY though so if you do it I highly recommend doing it during a time where you will not need to drive your car for 3-4 days so you can take your time. My shop took 2 days to do it. I still needed to take the rear seats out and cut the black cable loop on the 1/4 window (however this was easy).

Good luck!
Old 10-29-11, 07:57 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

And to give you some perspective....Steve did mine in his shop in Monrovia. It took him and two of his guys just over 4 hours. I already had the back seat out for him when I drove up from San Diego so that saved about 45 minutes. Check posts #92 and 116 for some help with the install.

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-29-11 at 01:20 PM.
Old 10-29-11, 10:41 AM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

[QUOTE=Habious;6774359]scdroptop,

When you're having these problems...is it that you're getting the talkbacks (lights and beeps) from the car, but the LuxLink isn't doing what it's supposed to do? Or are you having problems getting the remote to get it's signal to the car?
Originally Posted by Habious
scdroptop,
I get talkbacks, but it doesn't do what I want it to. For instance, standing ten feet away after a for sure proper exit the time before, in my garage, I hold down unlock till the long beep, then immediately hit lock, lock twice and 50 percent of the time the car just starts and 30 percent of the time it starts and puts the top down and 20 percent of the time I am getting a top down lights on but no start.

Also, I know it's been mentioned before but, it bears repeating...

When you're exiting the car...you HAVE to turn the car off THEN open the door. If you're like my wife, and you open the door, find your purse, pick up your water bottle, look for your keys in your purse, realize your keys are still in the ignition, turn the car off, get out, and close the door...the LuxLink will NOT work the next time you try it.

You have to get into the habit of taking the key out THEN open the door. This applies both to when you're doing the double-click to close the top (double click, take out the key, open the door, exit the car) and when you're just parking the car (take the key out to shut off the engine, open the door to get out).
I get a long beep all the time. I even switched out keys and new batteries.
The sequences...like the Unlock-Lock-Lock sequence, to make the car remote-start...are VERY picky about timing. The two "Lock-Lock" button presses have to be RIGHT AFTER the "Unlock". If you miss, or the car doesn't "hear" the signal the first time...it will almost never work on that try.
I am going to shorten the unlock part of the sequence. Maybe I'm holding it too long? I hold it till I hear the long beep (appx 3 seconds) as as soon as I hear it I switch to lock, lock, which is usually enough time for my windows just to crack a little. Maybe I go straight to the lock lock shorter in the long beep sequence? We are talking less than a second?? Very picky is right!

I definitely now have changed this habit with the LL and make sure 100% of the time I am exiting right because I initially thought it was the exit that was screwing up the sequence. Again I wonder if me turning off my iPod during the sequence of turning off the auto lights have anything to do with it? Here is my typical exit sequence: Pull into garage...auto lights come on. Put in Park, tap close on the top twice. Red light comes on, I reach into middle console and manually turn off iPhone (Vaistech SL2i-UP doesn't turn off the iPhone when you park) and then I remove the key, open the door, lock it (tap lock once) with my finger while the door is open, then usually turn the headlights to off then back to auto to get them not to drain the battery and close the door. The next time I try the start and top down sequence, I am getting mixed results. Maybe I'm doing too much with the lights and the iPhone powering down? Maybe I need to remove the key earlier in the sequence or later? I don't know. I'm frustrated and just want it to work every time with no issues like you guys say yours does.

When you press-and-hold the unlock button, if you don't get the long beep, followed by the windows starting to roll down, tha'ts not the fault of the LuxLink, that's the car not receiving the signal from the fob.

The sequences...like the Unlock-Lock-Lock sequence, to make the car remote-start...are VERY picky about timing. The two "Lock-Lock" button presses have to be RIGHT AFTER the "Unlock". If you miss, or the car doesn't "hear" the signal the first time...it will almost never work on that try.
Old 10-29-11, 12:45 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

I have figured it works better if I'm standing still and doing each sequence instead of continuing to walk. I guess it goes back to the car not receiving the FOB signal.
Old 10-30-11, 08:07 PM
SlvBullet
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks much for the tips. I'll work up to the LuxLink install and improve my DIY skills first but it does look like a great challenge. Maybe I'll add the rear camera at the same time as the tail lights.
Old 10-30-11, 08:20 PM
VVTiBob

VIPNiss wrote a great DIY for a rear camera install. Here's a link to a thread he commented in..https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...tribute-2.html

Last edited by VVTiBob; 10-30-11 at 09:28 PM.
Old 11-04-11, 10:05 AM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

OK, I'm going to attempt the full LuxLink install this weekend. I'm pretty good with electronics, but am more concerned with getting the interior parts taken apart and back together properly. Would like to thank VVTiBob for his excellent docs on the subject, I would be flailing even worse without them. Also going to give Steve a call today for last-minute instructions.

Any comments from forum members are appreciated.
Old 11-04-11, 11:08 AM
VVTiBob

If you haven't done so already, make sure you stretch out your back for the portion where you have to go under the dash. The contortion are murder, especially for those, like me, who are out of shape and older too. Same thing goes for your knees, a cushy pad goes a long way protecting them. Even though most of my install was done by Steve and his crew, just documenting the work had me pretty sore the next few days.
Old 11-04-11, 01:18 PM
AusTexLex
Rookie

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
If you haven't done so already, make sure you stretch out your back for the portion where you have to go under the dash. The contortion are murder, especially for those, like me, who are out of shape and older too. Same thing goes for your knees, a cushy pad goes a long way protecting them. Even though most of my install was done by Steve and his crew, just documenting the work had me pretty sore the next few days.
How did you know I'm an old fart?
Old 11-04-11, 01:36 PM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by scdroptop
[Maybe I'm holding it too long? I hold it till I hear the long beep (appx 3 seconds) as as soon as I hear it I switch to lock, lock, which is usually enough time for my windows just to crack a little.
At least with my LL, that would not be enough time. I need to let the windows roll down about one quarter of the way or even a little more.
Old 11-04-11, 01:38 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by AusTexLex
OK, I'm going to attempt the full LuxLink install this weekend. I'm pretty good with electronics, but am more concerned with getting the interior parts taken apart and back together properly. Would like to thank VVTiBob for his excellent docs on the subject, I would be flailing even worse without them. Also going to give Steve a call today for last-minute instructions.

Any comments from forum members are appreciated.
We trust that you will generate a ton of fresh insight, improved procedure, enhanced techniques on the Luxlink install.

And with a ton of high resolution pictures, illustrations and good methodologies, we will be forever grateful.

Good luck to you and may you hit a perfect install!

No seriously I wish you well and looking forward for you adding whatever you can generate to VVTiBob's already excellent DIY.
Old 11-04-11, 01:39 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by SlvBullet
Thanks much for the tips. I'll work up to the LuxLink install and improve my DIY skills first but it does look like a great challenge. Maybe I'll add the rear camera at the same time as the tail lights.
Good luck on the LL install. Add into VVTiBob's DIY.
Old 03-15-12, 08:39 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

quick question ladies and gents, since I mainly drive the 2IS I dont really get to play with luxlink much and when I do its remote start and drop top only I usually forget about the1/4 which looking back on it I could have done without. Today I did drive the SC and I remembered this feature so I rolled up my 1/4 windows when the top was down.

I got home and tried to close the top with the two buttons, I didnt expect this to work. It didnt.

Then I tried holding down the button, no response.

I figured okay ill turn off the car and turn it back on. I took out the key and car stayed on. I hit the break and car stayed on also. I even hit the gas a little and the car was still on. Open and close the door and did all these steps over and no change.

I ended up waiting on the timer to shut off the car with the key out, turning back on the car and then closing the top as usual.

I only have issues when I use this 1/4 mod. Is this normal? Any insight on possible miswiring?

Quick Reply: Progress on Luxlink: The Test