SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Progress on Luxlink: The Test

Search this Thread

Old 06-27-12, 05:58 AM
Habious
Pole Position

Received 25 Likes on 20 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Like Habious said, his wife simply can't understand the concept at all. The LL is too not user friendly, not fool proof at all. It take even us engineering car enthusist type a while to get an understanding of how it all works!
It may sound condescending but, in the CarPC world, this is actually referred to as "The Wife Test".

As an extreme example - Yes, command-line Unbuntu is VERY powerful, but it stinks as a user interface.

For general-public consumption, it needs to be very user friendly, forgiving about sequence and, for the most part, needs to "just work".

And, as big of a fan I am of the LuxLink, I do agree that it's not quite to that level. But, I also think that several (if not all) of the issues that the LuxLink has/causes are due to things that Toyota has done (and that Luxury Motorworks has no power over).

Gliches like the door-opening sequence...the key FOB being disabled after remote-start...the independent control of the 1/4 windows locking out the functionality of the top...etc. None of these things are the fault of the LuxLink, it's just how this car was set up to function.

If you install a remote-start in a Nissan/Infiniti, you can still lock and unlock the doors after the car has been remote-started. Toyota locks out the FOB when the car is running, Nissan doesn't.

Last edited by Habious; 06-27-12 at 05:59 AM. Reason: Spelt sum werds rong.
Old 06-27-12, 10:21 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by Habious
Toyota locks out the FOB when the car is running, Nissan doesn't.
I just discovered that this week also. My wife was in the car with the engine running (for the a/c) using her key and I was outside trying to open the trunk with my key fob. No workie. I had to open the door and press the trunk button on the lower dash to get the trunk to open.
Old 07-15-12, 08:22 AM
vietpr1nce
Lead Lap

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

Finally got around to finish my install. Of course, my luck, it isn't working 100%. I got the remote to open/close the top and the 1/4 window mod works.

My questions are:

1. How/when does the alarm shock sensor work? I can tap the shock sensor unit and see the green and red lights flash but that is it. It does not trigger the horn to go off. Does it activate after a few minutes?

2. I can't get the remote start to work. I press the sequence required and do hear relays clicking but doesn't start. I was messing with the remote just pressing randomly and the car did start on its own twice (unintentionally) but that was it. I can't seem to get it on demand.

Special thanks for everyone for their feedbacks and helpful DIY that got me 90% done. I hope I can get help soon so I can put the car back together. It's been a month already since I started.

Thank You!
Old 07-15-12, 10:12 AM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

The best check for the fob is to, with the car running and top down, double press the dash button (top close) and immediately get out and close the door. You will do that just to make sure you have not done anything to trip LL off.

Now, press unlock until you hear the long buzz-then quickly press lock-lock-unlock. Your SC should start, then the top will go down. If it doesn't, it's likely you did something wrong in the installation.

Two points to make.
1. Always pull the key out of the ignition BEFORE you open the drivers door.
2. Keep in mind that once you start using LL for rear windows, your SC must be turned off and back on again in order to have LL operate the top. It's as simple as this: LL can either be used for the top OR the rear windows, but not both. In order to do both LL must be reset, which means restarting the car.

John
Old 09-26-12, 08:53 PM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

My luxlink has been quite a frustrating addition. It remote starts and top down successfully 3 or 4 times and then it will freeze with the top half down and I have to complete the cycle with the manual switch. Then the red light on the switch will not go off and top will not go up or down. I have to pull the retractable trunk cover skirt out of the guides , let it retract as far as possible and replace it back in the guides. This process will allow the cycle to complete and roof to operate again and car to travel without dinging. After this
the car will only remote start, when the sequence for start and top down is pushed. It is the most fickle functioning thing I can imagine.
My installer spent tons of time with Steve on the phone multiple times. Steve finally gave up. I got my kit with no installation instructions, hunted them down via this sight, found out they were the wrong instructions for this version. This addition seems to be a confused mess.
Anyone have any suggestions? If I could just buy a newer correct working brain and replace it I would do it happily.
Old 09-26-12, 09:40 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

As a user of 4+ years of the LL, my guess is a problem with your installation. I feel very fortunate that I live just 30 minutes from Steve and do feel the unit is a finicky breed. On the other hand, I've used both versions (Steve tested version 2 on my sc) and actually use the LL on a nearly daily basis 4 or 5 days a week and use it multiple times each day. Today was an average day and it started with my sc in my garage with top down-when I got to work I used the dash button x2 to close it up as I walked to the building. I then came out and used the fob to drop the top and start the car. I then went home for lunch where I left the top down in my garage. I then went back to work where I went thru the same routine that I did this am. That is my daily routine! I must admit I am spoiled by Southern California weather and typically do not put the top down if the temp is over 95 or less than 65-and that means the top is typically down. During December thru February my top down percentage is probably about 70%. And I drive my van when it rains. I believe my LL is tested about as much as one could test it. Given my statistics, I would say its possible your unit is defective, but not probable. I would start with the installation and maybe try a different installer that can work with Steve. Best of luck with your LL!

John
Old 10-01-12, 07:57 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by zonk
It will freeze with the top half down and I have to complete the cycle with the manual switch. Then the red light on the switch will not go off and top will not go up or down. I have to pull the retractable trunk cover skirt out of the guides , let it retract as far as possible and replace it back in the guides.
Seems like the red light not going off means that the LuxLink is still in control. My guess is that the cover skirt is getting bumped out of the guides during operation, which would explain why the top stops, the light stays on, and you have to re-seat it. I'm pretty sure that your retracting the cover skirt is irrelevant.

The odd thing is why you would not experience this during non-LuxLink top operation. This leads me to my more probable guess that you have a loose wire in your installation such that the LuxLink is sometimes being being "told" that there is a "no-go" condition (e.g. top cover not in place) when there really isn't.

These guesses assume that you have correctly identified the problem as related to the cover skirt.

I'm no electrical engineer, just trying to use some logic here
Old 10-01-12, 08:14 AM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

Next time you try this if top freezes. Shut car off and re-start the car this will reset the luxllink see if it works then .
Old 10-01-12, 10:55 AM
JohnnyCake
Racer

Received 54 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by mrblister
Next time you try this if top freezes. Shut car off and re-start the car this will reset the luxllink see if it works then .
When my LuxLink is in control but not able to move the top (i.e. trunk cover skirt not in place), I am not able to turn off the car. I can remove the key and the car is still running until the LuxLink times out. Sometimes clicking closed will release the LuxLink.
Old 10-01-12, 01:11 PM
mrblister
Pole Position

Received 64 Likes on 56 Posts

When the luxlink is in control and turning key off car and car continues to run you can put your key in drivers door lock and turn it to the left twice and that will shut car off. Then restarting car resets the luxlinlk
Old 10-01-12, 04:00 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

My full option Luxlink is still NIB...trying to get an installer here in Marietta, GA (am I really trying?).

I have doubts on a perfect and flawless install.

But reading through this thread and Steve's guaranteed support, I might install it one day.
Old 10-01-12, 09:31 PM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Thanks Solman for the response. Now LL will start the car, put top down but not combo. After first long beep I can only get one beep from the lock button and then a start only.
If I try to get another tech to check the wiring I need to get a instruction manual. My LL did not come with one and I searched and found one on this sight but it had errors in it. Im happy to pay a few hundred to get a better brain for this product but I want to confirm first that It will come with correct instillation instructions.
Old 10-01-12, 09:37 PM
zonk
Driver School Candidate

Stopping and restarting the car when my cycle does not complete does not get the red light on the top switch to go off. I still need to pull the skirt out and replace it.
Old 10-01-12, 10:07 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

You definitely have an install problem. Turning off the car resets LL and therefore there should be no red light on. When you do the sequence, go unlock until you get the long beep and then hit lock twice VERY quickly-like within 2 seconds between lock and lock. Also, until you get the hang of it, aim the back of the key (opposite end of the actual key) with the button side up toward your hood, being about 3-5 feet away from your car. That way you can see if its a key fob or battery issue. My rate of success using the key in that manner is always 100%. I think you're problem however is waiting too long between lock-lock. Every once in a great while my top goes down without the car starting and I know without a doubt I just did the sequence too slow. I feel if this old guy, complete with a variety of health issues can handle LL, anyone can do it-IF properly installed. I have always loved my SC- but LL and my pioneer head unit just makes it SO much more fun. Nearly everyday, I get comments from co-workers and strangers alike about the "amazing" roof that goes up and down by itself!
Old 11-13-12, 05:43 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Bump, people are looking for info on install...good luck to you!

Quick Reply: Progress on Luxlink: The Test