SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers

Search this Thread

Old 08-12-11, 02:58 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers

Well I finally got around to upgrading the brakes on the SC, painting the calipers and putting decals on. The SC had 40K miles on it and was still on the original brakes. Not bad.

It took most of the weekend and while up on jack stands I changed the fluids as well. Lots of work but worth it in the end.

One note please: The SC was put up on 4 heavy duty jack stands to do this work. Please make sure you understand what you are doing if you attempt this and do it safely. Use Jack Stands. Not just the jack!

I installed a PowerStop brake kit with drilled/slotted rotors and ceramic pads. ($180 - eBay). They work very nicely. Only noise is during very heavy braking. Otherwise very smooth and quiet. Dust is acceptable. Make sure you follow directions and do the break-in the way the manufacturer says to. It is important to get the brakes heated up properly and temperature set for the pads to seat. Otherwise you will have the warped rotor feel when you brake.

The caliper paint is G2 - Red Epoxy. Two coats. Use a real paint brush from Lowes. Throw the one they give you in the trash. ($40)

The decals are e-Bay ($10).

Clear coated the decals and calipers with clear engine enamel. About 6 coats. ($5)

New springs and parts for brakes - ($40).

Miscellaneous - Brake Fluid etc. ($25)

For about $300 a very nice upgrade to the look and driving/braking on our SC.

Next will be Megan Coilovers. Gotta drop this thing!
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-lexus-front-brakes.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-lexus-left-front-corner.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-lexus-rear-brakes.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-lexus-whole-car-from-rear-corner.jpg  

Last edited by tfeni52355; 08-13-11 at 05:16 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 03:04 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Default Additional Images for brakes/calipers/decals

The calipers were completely removed from the car for this. Brake fluid drained and replaced with new. The calipers were wire brushed,cleaned with brake cleaner,blown off with compressed air. Then done again to make sure there was no dirt under the paint.

I hung them as shown to allow them to air dry. Epoxy paint drys in about 2 hours.

Decals were added (easy!) and clear coat applied. I allowed them to dry overnight before reassembly.
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-calipers-drying.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-caliper-front.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-calipers-rear.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-calipers.jpg  

Last edited by tfeni52355; 08-13-11 at 05:17 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 03:06 AM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Default Additional brake pics if needed.

Here are some pics of the old brakes being taken off. Use if you need reference.
Attached Thumbnails Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-front-brakes.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-front-brakes-2.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-front-brakes-1.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-rear-brakes.jpg   Upgraded Brakes and Painted,Decaled Calipers-rear-brakes-1.jpg  

Old 08-12-11, 04:58 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

perfect! thanks for all the pics and info.

Last edited by redliner8; 08-12-11 at 06:12 AM.
Old 08-12-11, 05:16 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

You should buy BC instead of megans. I'm beginning to regret not goin with them again. Like my IS, I had Megans and then got BC coils. Theyre much quieter as they have rubber mounts. My car sounds soo cheap with no music on lol especially when it rains
Old 08-12-11, 07:36 AM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Nice job!! Thanks for the detail information. Looks great!!

Originally Posted by mIStaSC
You should buy BC instead of megans. I'm beginning to regret not goin with them again. Like my IS, I had Megans and then got BC coils. Theyre much quieter as they have rubber mounts. My car sounds soo cheap with no music on lol especially when it rains
Really.....did you get the Megan LP or EZ? According to the factory specs, the EZ had rubber mounts too. I'm seriously considering coilovers for the SC too, but I need more info on the "ride comfort".
Old 08-12-11, 09:38 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Nice detailed work!

Just a comment, you ended up not installing the L in rear "level with the road?"
Old 08-12-11, 11:48 AM
Chamferman
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Awesome post....Thanks for taking the time to go into such detail!
Old 08-12-11, 11:51 AM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Originally Posted by grabber2
Nice job!! Thanks for the detail information. Looks great!!

Really.....did you get the Megan LP or EZ? According to the factory specs, the EZ had rubber mounts too. I'm seriously considering coilovers for the SC too, but I need more info on the "ride comfort".
Hi grabber

I have EZ's and they do have rubber mounts. No noise at all from mine, although they have only been on for the last few months.
Ride comfort can be softer than stock (in my opinion), if you want it, or firmer as I prefer it.

Best regards

Steve
Old 08-12-11, 12:51 PM
grabber2
Racer

Received 48 Likes on 38 Posts

Originally Posted by WIL44
Hi grabber

I have EZ's and they do have rubber mounts. No noise at all from mine, although they have only been on for the last few months.
Ride comfort can be softer than stock (in my opinion), if you want it, or firmer as I prefer it.

Best regards

Steve
Thanks Steve, this is exactly the info I need. I asked so many time but most response were either "it handle better, it feel better, or it drive great". Nothing really tell me if its can be smooth as OEM. I'm planning to drop about 2 inches and expect it will be firmer than OEM. But I always have the option to adjust it back to stock height if need. I recently upgraded from 18" to 19" and I immediately feel a firmer ride with thinner side tire wall. Thanks
Old 08-12-11, 02:43 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by mandyfig
Nice detailed work!

Just a comment, you ended up not installing the L in rear "level with the road?"
Great job! I think the "L" looks much better that way... + It matches the front "Lexus"... Level with the road makes it look out of place IMO.
Old 08-12-11, 03:21 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Thanks for the feedback guys. Never really gave it any thought about level with ground or matching the front. Just put the decals on with the way the calipers were laying on the bench!

I also forgot to tell that we got rid of the "clunk" when getting in the SC. I guess due to the brake pads being able to move around more easily on their mounts with the new parts and the cleaning and greasing.
Old 08-13-11, 12:04 PM
WIL44
Instructor

Received 87 Likes on 47 Posts

Thanks Steve, this is exactly the info I need. I asked so many time but most response were either "it handle better, it feel better, or it drive great". Nothing really tell me if its can be smooth as OEM. I'm planning to drop about 2 inches and expect it will be firmer than OEM. But I always have the option to adjust it back to stock height if need. I recently upgraded from 18" to 19" and I immediately feel a firmer ride with thinner side tire wall. Thanks
Hi Grabber

I changed to 19" from RFT's and the ride was incredibly better before I added the Megan's.
Does not matter how much you raise or lower, the comfort level can be adjusted to how you like it whatever the height. The shocks still have full travel because the springs are repositioned not compressed.
I have dropped mine 1.3/4", but I still have grounding problems with speed bumps etc. The centre cross member is the problem.
I found that if I set them softer there is more 'bounce' (if that is the right description) and the car can ground over severe bumps.

I posted 'how to install Megan's in pictures' which will help if you are installing yourself.

Hope this helps

Best regards

Steve
Old 08-13-11, 02:41 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Unless you're planning to modify/remove the fender liners and roll the fender edge, good luck on your 2" drop!

Mine is also dropped about 1 1/2" And thats as low as I can go without serious rubbing in my driveway and over speed bumps.

You might want to reconsider this if you plan to drive your car around....

I have EZ's and I love them. Ride is smooth... Just as OE but firmer... because I set them at 12/16.

Last edited by scyul; 08-13-11 at 02:46 PM.
Old 08-15-11, 10:31 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Nice job tfeni.