SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Saw A Stock SC Yesterday

Search this Thread

Old 08-17-11, 10:27 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Saw A Stock SC Yesterday

And it was strange to see it completely stock. When I originally bought mine, I modded it within a couple weeks, so I never really got used to the stock look...I actually forgot how the stock SC looked. I don't have too many mods: rims, antenna, tinted side markers, debadged rear...but they really do make a big difference in the look of the car. Just wanted to share..
Old 08-17-11, 10:44 AM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

if I didn't mod the SC i would have never gotten it
Old 08-17-11, 12:25 PM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by mIStaSC
if I didn't mod the SC i would have never gotten it
I just wish the mods were a bit cheaper lol how's the front lip incident going? sorry to hear about what happened.
Old 08-17-11, 02:52 PM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

lol with your mod list if I saw your car I would think it was stock too
Old 08-17-11, 05:26 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

i knew someone had it.. my friend took it to fix it for me from the tire incident breaking it. i'm not suppose to know though :P
Old 08-18-11, 06:08 AM
toxic
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

A view from the other side of the coin. I keep my 430 bone stock. There are 2 ways to look at it. 1. people look at a modded car and say "nice ride" or "sick" or "Bad@ss", people look at an original and say "Look at that cherry 430". All a matter of perspective. And I'm the type that if I started modding I couldn't stop until I had a very unique look and that translates into a lot of $$.

TOXIC
Old 08-18-11, 06:56 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by GammaLex
lol with your mod list if I saw your car I would think it was stock too
Haha...a little bit at a time
Old 08-18-11, 06:57 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Originally Posted by toxic
I'm the type that if I started modding I couldn't stop
Ain't that the truth haha
Old 08-18-11, 11:25 AM
NWcoast
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I have kept mine stock as well, updated the timing belt and ditched the runflats. Now, however, after putting on the new hankook ventus tires more of the road rash is apparent on the rims (caused by previous owner's wife so he says). At about $500. to repair 4 pie plate wheels, I am in the zone And on the fence since there are so many choices for replacement should I go that way. Heck, with summer winding down a decision on that next year sounds good! LOL
Old 08-18-11, 05:15 PM
Solman
Lead Lap

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Call me old school but the only thing that needed to be changed from a stock SC is the "pie plates". Even those are fine if you kept the wheels and replaced the plates with the twisties. Other than wheels, all my mods are not visible such as luxlink, backup camera, ipod, and DVD. I'm not big with those who slam their Sc's and put kits on, but to each their own. As long as it makes you happy.
Old 08-19-11, 04:57 PM
76210Guy
Lead Lap

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by toxic
A view from the other side of the coin. I keep my 430 bone stock. There are 2 ways to look at it. 1. people look at a modded car and say "nice ride" or "sick" or "Bad@ss", people look at an original and say "Look at that cherry 430". All a matter of perspective. And I'm the type that if I started modding I couldn't stop until I had a very unique look and that translates into a lot of $$.

TOXIC
Agreed. I even tried to get a license plate that said "BONSTK" but it was taken
Old 08-19-11, 10:56 PM
Tensi
Intermediate

Originally Posted by redliner8
And it was strange to see it completely stock. When I originally bought mine, I modded it within a couple weeks, so I never really got used to the stock look...I actually forgot how the stock SC looked. I don't have too many mods: rims, antenna, tinted side markers, debadged rear...but they really do make a big difference in the look of the car. Just wanted to share..
sounds like you saw a twin to your own car.
Old 08-20-11, 06:53 AM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 7 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by Solman
Call me old school but the only thing that needed to be changed from a stock SC is the "pie plates". Even those are fine if you kept the wheels and replaced the plates with the twisties. Other than wheels, all my mods are not visible such as luxlink, backup camera, ipod, and DVD. I'm not big with those who slam their Sc's and put kits on, but to each their own. As long as it makes you happy.
This is my philosophy as well. The pie plates had to go - but other than that I am fine with the appearance of the car. It may be an sign that I'm surrounded by like thinkers (or that I live in an automotive cultural vacuum) but of numerous SCs in my area I've never spotted a modified one.
Old 08-22-11, 11:23 AM
toxic
Driver

For the most part, I think a lot of the mods that I have seen on here are mild and don't take away from the designed look of the car. A new lip, body kits, headlight/tail light mods are best caught by the experienced eye. The "widebody" mod is something to behold but not in my price range. Likewise, I look at the body kits etc., and the ones I like are more extreme (read more $$) and require other mods to make them look nice. My wallet and I are just as happy with a cherry stock 430. Even though I could go either way on the pie plates the fact that no one likes them is exactly why I leave them on!! .

TOXIC
Old 08-22-11, 12:37 PM
texsexlex
Racer

Received 112 Likes on 97 Posts

..I'm on the bone stock end also...not totally by choice,but I'm ok with it. I bought the car because of it's look and like cjs18 said,I've never spotted a modded sc in my area also. The only one's I've seen have been here on the forum and at the dfw meet we had. I'm a working guy and all these other bills have to be paid before I can spurge...lol...so I just try to keep it extra clean and running good !!!...but trust me,there are some on the horizon...lol

Quick Reply: Saw A Stock SC Yesterday