Search this Thread

Old 09-24-02, 11:43 AM
ant1952
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Cool Winter Tires for my SC 430

I have been to several web sites for winter tires. Tire Rack says
they have 3 choices. Can anyone give me any info or experience
they have had on this subject. I need to drive the car in the winter.
Old 09-24-02, 12:36 PM
ceboyd
Lexus Test Driver

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts
Default dunno...

Last year I planned on driving through the winter myself but got a winter car instead.. Last year there was only 1 tire option for the 18" wheel.

Check your pm.. I sent you a seperate message....
Old 09-24-02, 10:10 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Hey ant, I wont start off and tell you not to drive the Lex in the winter and get a different car that does you no good. For a winter tire you want a snow tire....as skinny as possible...though dont get 175....Im not sure what they use 205/225 width maybe. And its a bigger tire, with a lighter rim hopefully. I dont know much about this....do some research maybe check out epinions.com and etc. Also where in NJ are you from, you may not even need them.
Old 09-25-02, 10:37 AM
ant1952
Rookie

Central Jersey. The problem is you never what the winter will bring. Last year I had a 530i with winter snows ahd we didn't
see a flake. On the other hand the weather is unpredictable.
I want to use the oem rims that came std on the car.
Old 09-25-02, 03:32 PM
LexusSC430
Lead Lap

Well just get snow tires....in the 225 width range...they will fit, maybe even 205 would work....hopefully you know what I mean by that.
Old 09-26-02, 04:32 AM
kmn5
Lead Lap

Default my 2 cents

Bridgestone Blizzaks, best winter tires available, period.
Old 09-26-02, 10:08 AM
ant1952
Rookie

Default reply

Have you used these on this car sc430. Where did you purchase them. Thanks, Ant1952
Old 09-27-02, 03:05 AM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post
Unhappy SLIP ON THE DUNLOPS, SLIDE DOWN THE DRIVE.........

Installing a Dedicated Set of OEM Wheels and Dunlop Winter Sport II's, I was pleasantly suprised and very well pleased to see how well they performed at Interstate High Speeds, and exhibited no hydroplaining in Severe / Heavy Rains, on a Cross-Country Trip from Indy to Sarasota, over the last Christmas Holidays. (The "UNDERINFLATION" Light popped on in the Dash at 142 MPH!)

All of that having been said, it went on to slide down my Driveway on a half inch skiff of Ice, across the lawn, and finally onto the street.

It took several High Speed Runs up the Cul-de-Sac and some tight left turns up the circular Concrete Driveway, to inch her into the garage, much to the delight of my German Car Driving Neighbors, who waited on their front porches to see if I would zip through the Garage's Back Wall, and into the DIning Room, and knocking over the Dining Room Chairs when I would open the Car Door, and attempt to exit the Car.

It's not been an easy life driving these Exotic Sleds during inclement Winter Weather.

"Frustrated In Fishers!"

:eek:
Old 09-29-02, 11:16 PM
DropTop430
Driver

You were doing 142 MPH with snow tires on?.
I know that the Dunlop Winter Sport II's are a little stiffer than other snow tires. What is the speed rating on those tires? Yikes..
Old 09-29-02, 11:35 PM
WJSOLOMON
Pole Position

Originally posted by DropTop430:"You were doing 142 MPH with snow tires on?.I know that the Dunlop Winter Sport II's are a little stiffer than other snow tires. What is the speed rating on those tires? Yikes.. "

I believe that the Dunlop SP Winter Sport M2 Tires carry a "V" Speed Rating, ie. 149 MPH.

I deceided not to take it to the Limit, since there was a light drizzle going on at the time.

:eek:
Old 09-30-02, 08:05 AM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

Without question if you intend to drive your SC430 in winter go down to at least a 17" rim and dedicated winter tire (My preference is the Pirelli Winter 210) if you only get some snow in a year but if you live in a true snow belt either get a dedicated winter beater or go to 16" rim and snow package..

Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-02, 06:19 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Default Confused

I am seriously considering getting this car, but I am just not clear on what the experiences are in driving this car in the snow belt in the winter.

I always put snow tires on my cars: currently ES300, past MB CLK320, 280ZX, Camaro and others....

I have driven some "not-so-good" snow cars as you can see, but I don't want this car to be a huge challenge to keep on the road (I am getting too old for that). So, I guess the question is whether this is a reasonable snow car if you have the dedicated snow tires on the existing wheels. If I go to 17" wheels with the snow tires, am I going to have clearance problems, etc?

Any help appreciated for a newbie to the forum.

Thanks.
Old 09-30-02, 06:52 PM
Larry
Lead Lap

Garage the Lex and get a Hyundai for the winter.
Old 09-30-02, 07:36 PM
2SAVVY
Lexus Champion

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Re: Confused

Originally posted by Hugeness
I am seriously considering getting this car, but I am just not clear on what the experiences are in driving this car in the snow belt in the winter.

I always put snow tires on my cars: currently ES300, past MB CLK320, 280ZX, Camaro and others....

I have driven some "not-so-good" snow cars as you can see, but I don't want this car to be a huge challenge to keep on the road (I am getting too old for that). So, I guess the question is whether this is a reasonable snow car if you have the dedicated snow tires on the existing wheels. If I go to 17" wheels with the snow tires, am I going to have clearance problems, etc?

Any help appreciated for a newbie to the forum.

Thanks.
Welcome to Club Lexus first of all.. An economical route to go if you intend to go with 17" wheels is to buy a set of used GS wheels and attach some snow tires to them.. Like I mentioned Pirelli Winter 210 would be my choice.. With the GS wheels you will have no clearance issues.. Honestly the SC430, GS430 or LS430 are pretty good snow driving cars if you put the right tires on and know how to drive in the snow.. That being said a front wheel drive or AWD winter beater would be the best solution but for some people that isn't a viable solution.. I don't drive the SC430 in the winter but we do drive the GS400 and it runs great with 16" snow tires and knowing how to use the snow mode on the car..

Hope that helps!
Old 09-30-02, 08:17 PM
Hugeness
Driver School Candidate

Default Thanks you

You advice is very helpful 2SAVVY, thanks. I don't like having two cars to worry about, so I want one that can serve dual purpose.

Sounds to me like the SC430 can do the trick. Snow tires are an amazing item when coupled with some wnter driving skill and the new anti-skid technologies.

I always believed that AWD only helps you get moving forward. It is tires, skill and other technology that help you stop and keep from going sideways.

Quick Reply: Winter Tires for my SC 430