SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Quarter window mod, it is much cooler then I imagined

Search this Thread

Old 08-28-11, 08:48 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Received 26 Likes on 23 Posts
Default Quarter window mod, it is much cooler then I imagined

I never thought much of the quarter window mod, I was thinking how cool can it actually be to be able to control those tiny rear windows?

So I was getting a LuxLink, I thought might as well get the quarter window mod while I am at it. Now that I had the chance to operate those tiny windows, it is much cooler then I thought!

1st of all, it does look very cool with all the windows down when the top is up, the car look sleeker and longer, the true coupe look as people call it. Looks like a MB CL-class.

Then the air flow differences is bigger then I thought. When it is too sunny or too hot out to drive with the top down, having all the windows down increases the air flow into the cabin quite a bit. So I can keep the top up to block the sun while still feeling like driving a convertible with all the air rushing into the cabin, it is pretty cool!

Also I am not sure if it is my imagination, but when the top is down, having the rear windows up along with the front windows being up do feel like less air coming into the cabin. I would not have thought it would make a difference, but I felt that it does.

It is a cool mod
Old 08-28-11, 10:47 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
I never thought much of the quarter window mod, I was thinking how cool can it actually be to be able to control those tiny rear windows?

So I was getting a LuxLink, I thought might as well get the quarter window mod while I am at it. Now that I had the chance to operate those tiny windows, it is much cooler then I thought!

1st of all, it does look very cool with all the windows down when the top is up, the car look sleeker and longer, the true coupe look as people call it. Looks like a MB CL-class.

Then the air flow differences is bigger then I thought. When it is too sunny or too hot out to drive with the top down, having all the windows down increases the air flow into the cabin quite a bit. So I can keep the top up to block the sun while still feeling like driving a convertible with all the air rushing into the cabin, it is pretty cool!

Also I am not sure if it is my imagination, but when the top is down, having the rear windows up along with the front windows being up do feel like less air coming into the cabin. I would not have thought it would make a difference, but I felt that it does.

It is a cool mod
Hi BNR,

Re: It is a cool mod

I agree with everything that you say.

I have spent a lot of time wondering why these cars did not come from the factory with this feature; and I am still stumped.

1/4 window mod, non-RFT's, newer wheels & disabling the TPMS are the only changes I have made to my car; and probably the only things that I will change.

Jerry Baumchen

PS) I actually do not like convertibles so I really like the 1/4 window mod.
Old 08-28-11, 11:34 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by JerryB
I have spent a lot of time wondering why these cars did not come from the factory with this feature; and I am still stumped.
Because those windows are tiny, as much as we enthusiasts found it to be fun to have this feature, to most regular owners, it is pretty irrelevant. Might as well simplify the car.

I think the most kicks we get out of having this mod is, we know we got something other SC430's owners don't have. Then again, most normal owners don't know anything about the car, my neighbor don't even know the C-best settings are adjustable. Or like the thread John started, he found a 2010 owner didn't know he has to hold down the top button to lower the top.

Last edited by BNR34; 08-28-11 at 11:38 PM.
Old 08-29-11, 08:37 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

read your manual. through a process of about 3 different button pushes, the windows are able to come up. no need to spend the money
Old 08-29-11, 10:57 PM
nwcn98
Rookie

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by husker741
read your manual. through a process of about 3 different button pushes, the windows are able to come up. no need to spend the money
Maybe I'm slow today, but can you explain?

Thanks
Old 08-30-11, 05:26 AM
GammaLex
Lexus Champion

Received 3 Likes on 1 Post

When drive this way you will get a Light on and a chime. With the mod no side effects lol
Old 08-30-11, 04:16 PM
huy33
Lexus Test Driver

Received 9 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by BNR34
Oh my, who would do such a thing I only drive with the windows up and top down if I'm taking a phone call. It's always top down = window down.
Old 08-30-11, 05:26 PM
BNR34
Lexus Fanatic

Originally Posted by huy33
Oh my, who would do such a thing I only drive with the windows up and top down if I'm taking a phone call. It's always top down = window down.
well it depends on the weather, sometimes you don't want it wide open

Also of my Ecru interior, sometimes on the freeway I try to block some dirt from coming into the cabin.
Old 08-30-11, 10:16 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Where (which page) is the instruction in the owners manual? I read through mine quickly and didn't find it. Again, I am terrible at finding stuff and my wife is on a business trip.
Old 08-31-11, 10:50 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

Originally Posted by huy33
Driving with the top down and the windows up cuts down on the noise considerably, especially on the freeway (where I spend about 1/2 my driving time on). The lessened wind impact is also easier on the ears. (If you don't protect your hearing, you will regret it later in life. I typically use ear plugs on anything over 50mph when the top is down.)
Old 09-01-11, 09:49 AM
phobulous
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks for the tip, Husker! I took my car in to get my windows tinted, but the guys at the shop had a hell of a time getting to the quarter windows and must've wasted 6 unsuccessful hours. I came across your post and searched the manual and was finally able to get those darn things up so they could do it!

HOW TO RAISE QUARTER WINDOWS WITH CONVERTIBLE TOP DOWN:
This is found in the "In case of emergency" section, I think page 268 or something of my manual. Convertible top needs to be down.
1) Turn Ignition to On position
Steps 2 and 3 need to be down within 10 secs:
2) Open the glove compartment and toggle the Trunk Lid button on the left side to the raised position to deactivate the Trunk Lid opener button
3) Slowly, press Open, Open, then hold down Close on the convertible roof button. This step needs to be completed within 10 secs of the previous step.

Done properly, the quarter windows should roll up. Hope this helps some folks! After seeing these things up, I really wish Lexus built controls in for these.
Old 09-01-11, 10:07 AM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Thanks for the find!

Darn I know I am bad. I saw the section but didn't go into details, never thought it would be in there.
Old 09-01-11, 10:45 AM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

Originally Posted by phobulous
Thanks for the tip, Husker! I took my car in to get my windows tinted, but the guys at the shop had a hell of a time getting to the quarter windows and must've wasted 6 unsuccessful hours. I came across your post and searched the manual and was finally able to get those darn things up so they could do it!

HOW TO RAISE QUARTER WINDOWS WITH CONVERTIBLE TOP DOWN:
This is found in the "In case of emergency" section, I think page 268 or something of my manual. Convertible top needs to be down.
1) Turn Ignition to On position
Steps 2 and 3 need to be down within 10 secs:
2) Open the glove compartment and toggle the Trunk Lid button on the left side to the raised position to deactivate the Trunk Lid opener button
3) Slowly, press Open, Open, then hold down Close on the convertible roof button. This step needs to be completed within 10 secs of the previous step.

Done properly, the quarter windows should roll up. Hope this helps some folks! After seeing these things up, I really wish Lexus built controls in for these.
Luxlink...will do it for you.
Old 09-01-11, 10:56 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

phobulous, after going through that procedure to raise the 1/4 windows, are you able to drive without annoying alarms going off?
Old 09-01-11, 12:25 PM
jzwu
Lead Lap

Just tested it.

The rear windows go up but the top Close button light is on now. Once you start moving the alarm will sound constantly.

Guess it is for emergency top/window close operation, not for regular use. The computer thinks it is abnormal to have the top open/down but the rear windows up.

Quick Reply: Quarter window mod, it is much cooler then I imagined