SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt

Search this Thread

Old 09-01-11, 03:03 PM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt

I purchased the AVIC-Z130bt to Install in my 03 SC430. The problem I ran into was that after I transferred the Door opening assembly onto the the Pioneer Z130, I found that the Z130 has an extended L at the bottom of the Head. The extension contains the controls to operate the radio. The face plate also can open to access the DVD, or tilt for better viewing. I found out that the controls interfere with the door fully closing, and that was with no tilt on the Z130 screen. I returned the Z130 to Amazon and opted to put in the AVIC-X930bt which has no moving screen and no L extension at the bottom of the screen. I had to give up a few features such as built in HD radio, voice activation for Ipod functions and several other items. However I think the Door would have beat itself to Death or eventually damaged the radio.
Bottom line: Don't put a Z130 into a SC430.
Old 09-02-11, 04:45 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You should make a DIY, I'm interested to see how you get everything to work
Old 09-02-11, 08:47 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Apparently this guy, in the Houston area, figured it all out last April. But he is short on details in this YouTube clip. Wish I lived closer...has everything I want to do to upgrade our dated electronics.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7tSqX...er_profilepage

I spoke to one of the guys at the shop from the YouTube video. He said the used Beatsonic's adapter to retain the ML Amp and Nav systems. Here's the wiring diagram:
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-beatsonicusa-wiring.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-beatsonicusa-wiring-picture.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-02-11 at 09:07 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 09:24 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

vvtibob, did you ask if the steering wheel controls still function?
Old 09-02-11, 09:41 AM
VVTiBob

I didn't ask, but in another CL thread about this the BeatSonic Guy said no.... but cruthfield may have a solution. But that may take a wiring diagram of the SW controls.
Old 09-02-11, 09:45 AM
VVTiBob

Here's the link: http://www.crutchfield.com/p_127SWIP...S.html?tp=3405

It was the previous thread you commented in...https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...uestion-2.html

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-02-11 at 09:49 AM.
Old 09-02-11, 10:43 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

ah gotcha, i dont know how that thread slipped by me lol man, that beatsonic is expensive
Old 09-03-11, 11:16 AM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Default Upgrade update

As I said earlier in the thread, I had returned a Pioneer AVIC-Z130 due to door closing interference and ordered a Pioneer AVIC-X930. Just finished the install and here are a few observations for those thinking about this project.

1. The install, including a Navtool, took about a total of two days. The car comes apart easy enough, but you need to go slow and carefully check each item as you do it. For my install the trunk trim came out, the back seat and, of course, the seat heater controls, center console, radio, ac controls, and the navigation unit. To run cables from the trunk to the electronics bay, I had to loosen three sets of bolts in the center console which gave me enough slack to raise the center console about two inches which allowed me to run cables under the console. These cables were: Two Video lines from the Navtool, one for a aux video to my Nav screen and a second as a backup if I decide to move the backup camera to the pioneer head from the Nav Screen. A nav antenna cable for the Sirus Satellite add-on to the new head, a pioneer bus cable for the Pioneer interface to the Sirus receiver, A reverse line to the Nav head, two lines for a selector switch to the Navtool (This allow switching between factory Nav and a video source).

2. Changing out the door closing mechanism is easy enough, as it is just an assembly the surrounds the Head. The Pioneer head had all the right holes in the right place. Easy.

3. Wiring is easy with the beatsonic, the beatsonic uses on the two front speaker output line from the new head, not the RCA inputs, but the level lines you would connect directly to a speaker. You do lose the ability to fade front to rear, however I checked my setup and found I had mine set exactly on front, so no big thing. In fact the unit sound great.

4. The space behind the radio is very limited so getting everything in was a challenge. I have the Traffic option so it required a small extra box. The Beatsonic MVA-11L (BTW do not use the Beatsonic MVA-11 if you have the ML stereo, use the L version. I have a friend who tried to use the 11 rather than the 11L, did not work)

5. I had a hell of a time getting everything stuffed behind the Pioneer head, I eventually just removed all of the RCA inputs that I did not need, and that freed up a lot of space. Just remove them from the connector, easy.

6. One nice thing about the Beatsonic kit is the trim pieces that come with the kit, they snap into an unused opening and provide a nice factory look.

7. I initially tried to fire up the radio before I had reinstalled the Stock Nav screen. I could not get any audio out so I called Beatsonic and they suggested putting in the Nav screen, with I did and then got sound. I also put in two switches on either side of the new head, one to raise and lower the antenna. The beatsonic adapter has only one mode that is, head on, antenna up, power off, antenna down. I also installed a switch to switch between Factor Nav, and video input from the pioneer head. This is done through the Navtool.

8. The only bug I have found as of this morning, finished last night, is that when the car is started, the normal lexus splash screen comes up on the factory Nav screen, then the screen goes black. I then hit the voice switch and everything is normal. Not sure what that is about, but I am going to do a Nav reset (Power disconnect for a few minutes and reboot) raining like hell here in Pompano Beach right now so that is a later project.

9. About one day into this project I was thinking what the F--- did I get into. But patience, one step at a time and it gets done.

Here are a few photos of various points in the install.
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-radiobaycloseup.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-empty.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-parts.jpg   Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-cimg1552.jpg  
Old 09-03-11, 01:07 PM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Default Problem solved

As I indicated in my last post I had a problem with the Nav system going black when the car was started and then by pushing the nav voice button everything was fine. Well I did a power reset, then drove the vehicle and it reacquired the the satellite and then the next time I restarted all was well. Now all functions are working with exception of the radio controls and front to rear fade.

I also didn't mention that I spent about fifteen dollars on the Toyota interactive site and found the appropiate wire for the vehicle speed signal which the new nav needs as an input. this is the link to the site, with another member, Cody, referred me to.

https://techinfo.toyota.com/techInfoPortal/
Old 09-03-11, 02:53 PM
tfeni52355
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

djmichel,
Nice work. Glad to see there are finally some options out there to update the dated electronics on our SC's!.
Old 09-06-11, 08:50 AM
redliner8
Lexus Test Driver

Very awesome, thanks for the pics! I think this is the first time someone did a write up on updating the headunit (thread bookmarked!). Did you buy the steering wheel control interface from crutchfield too? To confirm, the door works with AVIC-X930 now?

Last edited by redliner8; 09-06-11 at 08:53 AM.
Old 09-06-11, 06:48 PM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Originally Posted by redliner8
Very awesome, thanks for the pics! I think this is the first time someone did a write up on updating the headunit (thread bookmarked!). Did you buy the steering wheel control interface from crutchfield too? To confirm, the door works with AVIC-X930 now?
Redliner8, I have not had any luck finding a steering wheel control interface that will work with the SC430. I have contacted every interface manufacturer I can and they all say their interface will not work. It's really not a big deal to me as it was more of a pain when I would hit it while turning the wheel, but from a purist standpoint I would like to get it working. I spoke to Eric at Beatsonic and his engineers are still looking at the steering wheel controls. Both the factory navigation and radio doors work just fine, transferring the door mechanism was very easy.
Old 09-06-11, 07:20 PM
robertrios
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

call audio itch in Tampa, FL my friend did a aftermarket Head unit in his GS400 there and was able to keep his controls but it cost him about an extra 150, might be worth a shot.
Old 09-25-11, 07:30 AM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I have purchased a Sony XNV-770BT double DIN head unit. Unfortunately, this head unit is 7" deep and I can’t install it deep enough in the radio bay for the door to close because of interference with some actuator (circled in red)… Can anyone tell me what this actuator is used for? I tried all the A/C and heating functions but I can’t see it doing anything??? I’m considering unplugging it… Any ideas?
Attached Thumbnails Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt-radiobay.jpg  
Old 09-25-11, 07:50 AM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Unknown, when I took the photos I saw the actuator and assumed it controlled something in the air-conditioning system. Perhaps it directs air downward in one of the mode functions. I had no problem putting in the Pioneer System. My guess is that your head is hitting something other that the actuator. The other thing you can do is to remove the actuator and see what happens.
when I was installing my Pioneer, it was a very very tight fit. In fact I had to very carefully place the wiring behing the radio to remove interference with the fit.

Quick Reply: Pioneer AVIC-Z130bt