SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Navigation cover jammed / stopped working - help!

Search this Thread

Old 09-08-11, 04:02 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Navigation cover jammed / stopped working - help!

It finally happened, the navigation unit jammed and does not move. I turned on my car, the cover opened the navigation jumped to life as usual. I heard a funny whirling noise so I hit the TILT button and that was it, it's stuck in the most forward position. The screen still works fine and i can see everything, but if I hit the CLOSE button the screen goes off but the unit stays in the same position and does not attempt to close. Likewise when I turn the car off it turns the screen off and just stays in the forward most position. My car is out of warranty pleaseeeeeeee tell me there's an easy DIY fix!
Attached Thumbnails Navigation cover jammed / stopped working - help!-img_20110908_172351.jpg  
Old 09-08-11, 06:35 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Hummmm.... Strange.... My guess, one of the wires to the tilt motor as broken (easy fix). Or electronic control unit failure... (not so easy)... You'll need to investigate further.
Old 09-09-11, 11:30 AM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

When I push any tilt or close button I don't hear any noise from navigation unit at all so I don't think it's a jam, its just not getting the signal to move. How do I check for loose wiring? Or could it be a blown fuse?
Old 09-09-11, 12:33 PM
scyul
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

I doubt it’s a blown fuse. The only way to check for a broken/loose wire would be to remove the unit from the car…

To access the 2 bolts and 2 screws holding the unit in place, you need to remove the 2 wood trims (one on each side). These are clipped on, so to remove them you need to carefully pull on them to release the clips.

You’ll also need to remove the climate control unit… Also by pulling (firmly) on it…

Two bolts on the lower part and two screws on the top of the screen unit…

There are two motors on the screen unit. One on a rack and pinion for the open/close functions of the door and one a screw for the extend/retract functions of the screen.

These motors are controlled by an electronic circuit… Witch could be defective…

Hope this helps a bit.
The following users liked this post:
tony9 (06-18-23)
Old 09-10-11, 12:35 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Damn this sounds like something i will definitely screw up. Any suggest a local shop or a mini-meet to figure it out in Dallas?

Thanks for your help scyul!
Old 09-10-11, 01:30 PM
scdroptop

Received 50 Likes on 22 Posts

I'd go to JP Importz of Garland or

http://www.**********************/ the site is blocked...the website is www. (no space) jp (no space) importz (no space) .com
http://davenportmotorco.com/

Before you do that, I'd just try a couple of basic 101 things to see if you can get any result by yourself.

1) Disconnect the battery for 30 minutes...assuming you've checked the fuses.

2) Carefully spray WD40 in between the crack between the nav door and the dash-try to get the hinges if they are stuck perhaps this will free it. Check to see if any loose pieces can be felt or seen. See link below on that.

3) Get an electronics compressed air (keyboard cleaner) and spray in between cracks (try this first before WD40).

Try this thread too:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...part-deux.html
Old 09-13-11, 03:48 PM
Mattgeorge
Driver School Candidate

Mine did the same thing about a month ago. It's been low on the list to try and fix. If u figure it out please post what u found and I'll do the same if i ever get around to it.
Old 11-14-11, 07:34 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Originally Posted by Mattgeorge
Mine did the same thing about a month ago. It's been low on the list to try and fix. If u figure it out please post what u found and I'll do the same if i ever get around to it.
Low on my list also, still haven't gotten around to getting this fixed or checked out. Anyone got any quick fix ideas?! Gracias.
Old 12-05-11, 02:36 PM
Pnuge88
Lexus Champion

Received 18 Likes on 13 Posts

My door no longer works but my tilt still works. Will be tackling this soon. Gonna toss out my navi and replace it with a custom mount for a Reliable garmin
Old 02-26-12, 08:53 PM
TEXAS83
Lead Lap

Finally got around to taking this apart. Used the instructions at the link below and fixed it. The door was off track! I posted pictures in the thread below:

https://www.clublexus.com/forums/sc-...ml#post7046936
Old 07-23-16, 08:32 AM
djmichel
Driver School Candidate

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Trouble shooting Lexus SC430 Nav tilt/door failure

This has been an ongoing problem with sc430 Navigation systems. Last year (2015) my lexus experienced a failure of the tilt mechanism. This generally presents as the tilt stuck in an out position and the door will not close because of the position of the tilt. I purchase a used Navigation system and replaced my system. At first, all seemed well but with a week or so the same problem occurred. Bummer, so I replace the air conditioning control, bought a used one and replaced it. No joy, so the problem was not in the air conditioning control. Next, I replaced everything back to original and suddenly everything worked for several more weeks and the tilt failed again. Possible that both Nav heads had the same problem? So replacing the Navigation display head and/or the air conditioning control did nothing. I have checked cable loom and all seems good. Grounds and Power are good. This might be related in some way to another system, of which I can't figure out. Next, I'm going to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer and see what they come up with. Any Lexus techs out there with any ideas?
Old 08-26-16, 09:54 PM
bobster99
Driver

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by djmichel
This has been an ongoing problem with sc430 Navigation systems. Last year (2015) my lexus experienced a failure of the tilt mechanism. This generally presents as the tilt stuck in an out position and the door will not close because of the position of the tilt. I purchase a used Navigation system and replaced my system. At first, all seemed well but with a week or so the same problem occurred. Bummer, so I replace the air conditioning control, bought a used one and replaced it. No joy, so the problem was not in the air conditioning control. Next, I replaced everything back to original and suddenly everything worked for several more weeks and the tilt failed again. Possible that both Nav heads had the same problem? So replacing the Navigation display head and/or the air conditioning control did nothing. I have checked cable loom and all seems good. Grounds and Power are good. This might be related in some way to another system, of which I can't figure out. Next, I'm going to bite the bullet and take it to the dealer and see what they come up with. Any Lexus techs out there with any ideas?
I have the same problem and my opinion is that the circuit board that controls the tilt motor fails. I put 12 volts to the tilt motor and it works just fine.. Since I have replaced the Navigation System functionality with Waze I really don't need it anymore. Still, if anyone out there has been able to find a solution I would really like to hear what they did.
Old 08-27-16, 09:28 AM
Harold57
Lead Lap

Received 412 Likes on 361 Posts

It sounds like an intermittent failure, at least from the descriptions above. If so, I'd start with looking at connector issues (loose connections, pins/sockets backing out of connectors, etc.) and cold solder joints.
Old 08-28-16, 10:53 PM
GmanSC
Pole Position

Received 557 Likes on 424 Posts

Is there anyway that you can disable the auto open and close of the NAV door when you start and shutdown the engine?. Techstream?

I want to leave the door open and be able to close it on demand (like the ML door).
Old 08-29-16, 07:12 PM
Bgw70
Lexus Test Driver

Received 885 Likes on 709 Posts

Techstream wont help...I just know it will stay closed all the time or it will open and close with the ignition, but I'm sure you knew that...the only way would be to mod a wire or two with a switch...

Originally Posted by GmanSC
Is there anyway that you can disable the auto open and close of the NAV door when you start and shutdown the engine?. Techstream?

I want to leave the door open and be able to close it on demand (like the ML door).

Quick Reply: Navigation cover jammed / stopped working - help!