SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Rear Deck Repair

Search this Thread

Old 09-11-11, 03:36 PM
Freds430
Pole Position

Received 1,116 Likes on 723 Posts
Default Rear Deck Repair

I have a 2002 and the rear deck, the black vinyl piece that is right behind the glass wind screen and the rear head restraints, has got two bubbles. Has anyone else had this happen and if so did you replace the deck or get it repair. The pic shows the piece. I tried to repair the first one in the middle with a syringe and glue. It did not turnout well. The newest one is at the bottom of the pic.

Thanks for any help!!
Attached Thumbnails Rear Deck Repair-imag0528.jpg  
Old 09-11-11, 07:42 PM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

I have a very similar bubble problem too. But mine disappears when the "package tray" is out of the sun. Apparently the trapped gas condenses as the tray cools and the bubble flattens out to normal appearance.

Looks like the parts runs about $450. 64360-24010-C0 I can live with a temporary bubble from time to time.
Attached Thumbnails Rear Deck Repair-pkg-tray.jpg  

Last edited by VVTiBob; 09-11-11 at 08:00 PM. Reason: added part diagram and info
Old 09-12-11, 08:02 AM
PLAYTYM
Lead Lap

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Freds430
I have a 2002 and the rear deck, the black vinyl piece that is right behind the glass wind screen and the rear head restraints, has got two bubbles. Has anyone else had this happen and if so did you replace the deck or get it repair. The pic shows the piece. I tried to repair the first one in the middle with a syringe and glue. It did not turnout well. The newest one is at the bottom of the pic.

Thanks for any help!!
Bob,

I have been there done that and mine turned out perfect! I had the same size bubble as your first second one, but in the same location as your first attempted repair. I guess I should have done a DIY, sorry!

Anyway...what I did requires nothing more than a heat gun and a plastic thumb tack! First I pierce the middle of the bubble with the thumb tack and then heat the bubbled area carefully with the heat gun, which will shrink the leather/vinyl. While heating the area I messaged the air out of the bubble via the tiny tack hole, (be careful not to burn yourself...very HOT)! Take your time and eventually as you shrink the material and message the air out it will stick itself back flat and all will be well. After, treat the area with Lexol or another good leather/vinyl conditioner.

Let me know. I can take a pic of mine if you'd like to see the end result?

Josh
Old 09-12-11, 11:01 AM
VVTiBob

Received 268 Likes on 204 Posts

Thanks! I'll give your procedure a try.
Old 09-12-11, 02:08 PM
JerryB
Pole Position

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Bob,

I have been there done that and mine turned out perfect! I had the same size bubble as your first second one, but in the same location as your first attempted repair. I guess I should have done a DIY, sorry!

Anyway...what I did requires nothing more than a heat gun and a plastic thumb tack! First I pierce the middle of the bubble with the thumb tack and then heat the bubbled area carefully with the heat gun, which will shrink the leather/vinyl. While heating the area I messaged the air out of the bubble via the tiny tack hole, (be careful not to burn yourself...very HOT)! Take your time and eventually as you shrink the material and message the air out it will stick itself back flat and all will be well. After, treat the area with Lexol or another good leather/vinyl conditioner.

Josh
Hi Josh,

One thing that I have noticed over the years is that heat will soften most adhesives; and that is what might be happening with your procedure, also.

Then, when it cools the adhesive does its thing and holds the fabric in place.

Just a thought . . .

Jerry Baumchen
Old 09-12-11, 04:46 PM
cjs18
Pole Position

Received 6 Likes on 5 Posts

Originally Posted by PLAYTYM
Bob,

Josh
I did this with a bubble on the rear deck of my '02 when I first got it but used a #11 scalpel blade to make a very small puncture and then a hair dryer for heat. The dryer was hot enough to re-adhere the material. So far so good.
Old 09-12-11, 05:39 PM
i2fat
Lead Lap

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I had the bubble also, all I did was use a very very fine needle and poked it and massaged the air out. Never had it come back since, hot or cold.
Old 09-12-11, 06:15 PM
mandyfig

Received 416 Likes on 366 Posts

A friend of mine's SC has a few. I will try this trick and see if it works.