SC430 - 2nd Gen (2001-2010)

Shaking When Idling

Search this Thread

Old 02-21-12, 06:50 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

I did clean my throttle body and mass air flow sensor when the mounts were replaced, so it could have been a combination of all three. Whichever, it did make a difference for me and there was nothing Wizardly about it. LOL. Especially the clearing part...the dealer wanted ridiculous money for ½ hours work...so I did it myself.
Old 03-08-12, 11:54 AM
latrain
Driver School Candidate

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by latrain
Have this exact same problem. Slight vibe at idle in park, more or less the same in gear. But more than before. Wife owned the car since new, I've been driving since 25k miles . 78k mi on a 2002.

Going in this week for the 120k service and new plugs. Curious to see if that makes a difference, and what they say about the motor mounts.
follow up - motor mounts were shot. I also had a gas fume smell, which was from the engine lifting up and pulling off the vapor return line. All three mounts ran about $700 incl labor.

Vibration was not that noticeable so I'm a little suprised they were that bad, but it all makes sense. Just fyi, don't wait for giant clunks to inspect motor mounts.

One surprise - after that repair and a full 120k service, I've picked up close to 1 mpg compared to my commuting avg over the last several years.
Old 03-08-12, 02:15 PM
VVTiBob

Received 269 Likes on 204 Posts

Cleaning the throttle body, injectors and MAF sensor could account for improved performance.
Old 03-09-12, 02:57 AM
gripau1
Intermediate

Received 64 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by VVTiBob
Cleaning the throttle body, injectors and MAF sensor could account for improved performance.
Or go and find some empty road or twisties and give it a boot full of throttle!!! Much more fun
Old 03-10-12, 04:59 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Received 17 Likes on 16 Posts

latrain, thanks for following up. I also recently found the vapor return line disconnected, I simply reconnected it and didn't look for the root cause. But now that I think about it, the root cause of the vapor line getting disonnected could be the bad motor mounts, which I have been postponinig for a while.

Was the $700 bill at the dealer, or elsewhere?
Old 03-10-12, 07:24 PM
Bon
Advanced

Received 25 Likes on 19 Posts

Old school, we would simply open the hood, HOLD THE BRAKE DOWN FIRMLY, put the car in drive and goose the engine. If the mount is good it won't lift. If bad the engine will jump. Put it in reverse to test the other engine mount. If any are bad then replace them all including the tranny mount because it's cheap. Well it was cheap before Lexus.

Last edited by Bon; 03-11-12 at 08:16 AM. Reason: Clarification
Old 03-10-12, 10:07 PM
lexie
Pole Position

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Bon
Old school, we would simply open the hood, put the car in drive and goose the engine. If the mount is good it won't lift. If bad the engine will jump. Put it in reverse to test the other engine mount. If any are bad then replace them all including the tranny mount because it's cheap. Well it was cheap before Lexus.
How do you "goose " the engine while in drive?

I'm also having this slight shaking when in drive when the a/c is not on. I did have the dealer checked the vibration last January, 12 and they said they coudln't duplicate the problem,

Now my Lexus platinum extended warranty just expired on March 4, 2012. And today I noticed the shaking was pretty bad. I wonder the extended warranty covers this preexist problem ? or I have to pay for the repair? Thank for any input?
Old 03-11-12, 08:14 AM
Bon
Advanced

Put the car in drive. Hold the brake pedal down very, very firmly. Push the gas pedal briefly (goose it). This applies significant engine torque to the drive train and the only thing holding the engine from rotating are the engine mounts. One is being lifted and the other compressed. When in reverse the opposite torque is applied to the engine and so the opposite engine mount will try to lift.

I haven't done this in my SC. In other cars we could see the engine in the gap between the hood and the windshield wipers. Some engine mounts have steel built into them that limits the excursion of the engine after the rubber fails - others don't. You can still see the engine rise in either case but it's less dramatic if there are the steel limiters inside the mounts.

(I edited my previous post for clarity. And furthermore, please don't drive through your garage wall if you're trying this and don't let anyone stand in front or behind your car. I'm not a lawyer and don't want to have to hire one!)

Last edited by Bon; 03-11-12 at 08:29 AM.
Old 03-12-12, 12:44 AM
lexie
Pole Position

well, I tried it.
I found when I put in reverse the engine had moved up a lot; then when in drive, the engine still moved up but not as much; then I tried with my 99 GS400 which I had my engine mounts replaced a year ago; GS400 engine did not move at all. So I'm sure my SC engine mounts are bad! I'll call the dealer to have it fixed tomorrow. Thank you for your suggestion. Really appreciated
Old 03-12-12, 05:40 AM
jasone36
Instructor

Bon has an excellent explanation, but I'm too afraid to try this method. Doesn't seem like safe...
Old 03-12-12, 11:14 AM
lexie
Pole Position

what i did was to have the hood opened so that I could see the engine (**remove plastic engine cover so you could see the upper intake manifold**) while sitting inside the car. With the engine running while stepping on brake firmly (I did not step on gas), when I shifted from P to Reverse, I could see the engine jumped up quite a bit ; then I shifted from P to D, I also saw the engine jumped up too. My GS400 engine didn't move at all with the same procedure.

Last edited by lexie; 03-12-12 at 05:57 PM.
Old 03-12-12, 01:06 PM
jasone36
Instructor

Thanks lexie, that clarifies it a lot. Much safer than the method I assumed!
Old 03-12-12, 03:00 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Today is the first time I've looked at this thread.. But boy am I glad I did. I did the open hood procedure, and found out that the clunking I hear when I accelerate is indeed the engine popping up. Thank you all for your input to help find this! I have been freaking out about that clunk for months now.
Old 03-12-12, 05:49 PM
Bon
Advanced

Originally Posted by husker741
Today is the first time I've looked at this thread.. But boy am I glad I did. I did the open hood procedure, and found out that the clunking I hear when I accelerate is indeed the engine popping up. Thank you all for your input to help find this! I have been freaking out about that clunk for months now.
It may also help you with some of those rattles you've mentioned in other threads. The engine and transmission and their associated mounts create a triangle of chassis support that resists twisting. With a broken mount(s) you could very well have the chassis moving around on you and letting the roof rattle around.
Old 03-12-12, 08:21 PM
husker741
Pole Position

Originally Posted by Bon
It may also help you with some of those rattles you've mentioned in other threads. The engine and transmission and their associated mounts create a triangle of chassis support that resists twisting. With a broken mount(s) you could very well have the chassis moving around on you and letting the roof rattle around.
Wow, I never really thought of that. Thanks for your help!

Quick Reply: Shaking When Idling